Grey/Silver DVD's???

cookiee_munster

Original Poster
So, last year i brought my Mom Mary Poppins on DVD, the package was rather pretty and when we got to watching it, she opened it up, and before i popped the Disk in i couldn't help but notice the blank/sparseness of the artwork on both Disks? just a grey silvery disk. end of. no fancy artwork. nothing. i thought "ho hum"

I brought Burton's Alice in Wonderland on bluray/dvd combo when that came out, and again the DVD for that was this grey/silver disk.

I've noticed, in my film collection which i now keep in a big cd/dvd folder some dvd's I have are the same grey/silver as these Disney DVD's ive mentioned...

... why is this?

RonAnnArbor

Because it costs about 19 cents less not to imprint art on the label -- multiply 19 cents by 130,000 units sold per week = they save 24,700 PER WEEK just by not printing artwork on the label.

At a time that downloads are starting to overtake sales, that's a lot of money they save.

Almost all companies are starting to do this. It's not worth it.

Malvito

that kinda sucks then... i think its just pure lazy and slightly un-professional to release DVD's in this manner...

One person's "laziness" is another person's "cents-sible". IMHO, I am buying the disc for the movie, not for the disc art. As long as I know which way to put the disc into the player to get the desired content ...

(And if that seems a tad ridiculous, please remember that there is still the occasional disc set, especially set of TV seasons, with content on both sides of the disc.)

flavious27

Because it costs about 19 cents less not to imprint art on the label -- multiply 19 cents by 130,000 units sold per week = they save 24,700 PER WEEK just by not printing artwork on the label.

At a time that downloads are starting to overtake sales, that's a lot of money they save.

Almost all companies are starting to do this. It's not worth it.

Agreed, all that is really needed on the disc is just the name of the film, lots of graphics aren't needed. The only time that they will get creative is with the cases, that cost $50 or more.

Companies are going to find ways to cut costs subtly, like the story I am told about an airline serving 1 less olive with their salads and saving 50k a year.

mousehockey37

One person's "laziness" is another person's "cents-sible". IMHO, I am buying the disc for the movie, not for the disc art. As long as I know which way to put the disc into the player to get the desired content ...

(And if that seems a tad ridiculous, please remember that there is still the occasional disc set, especially set of TV seasons, with content on both sides of the disc.)
Exactly.

Who honestly gets the disc out and says "Wow. Forget watching the movie, I'm gonna hang this artwork on the wall!"

tribbleorlfl

Meh, then you would have hated the early days of DVD's where the disc was dual-sided (either fullscreen on one side and widescreen on the other, or the movie on one side and special features on the other) and the only way you could tell what the movie was a little texton the inside ring around the spindle hole. I personally preferred that setup to the current practice of providing multiple single-sided discs.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Not that I support the generic disc art, but making all DVDs grey and Blu-rays blue makes the discs more uniform and looks cleaner in a collection where you don't use the original cases

216bruce

Exactly.

Who honestly gets the disc out and says "Wow. Forget watching the movie, I'm gonna hang this artwork on the wall!"
Whhhatttt? You can watch the little buggers? Seriously?! I....had...no...idea...I thought they were like vinyl album covers. I've framed 'em and hung 'em. aw....man.....

prberk

While I understand the cost savings, to me this is akin to the napkins and sugar at WDW not having the Disney logo. It's not really necessary, but it is classy and nice, especially since Disney tries to set itself apart from the also-rans in entertainment.

At some point cost-savings for the company start to look cheap and affect the mindset that makes you pay a premium price for the product, even if the difference is in perception -- perception becomes "reality" in the way you think of something.

If you call something a "special edition" or some other similar tile, as Disney often does for their BluRays and DVDs, they it ought to look "special" -- same with your vacation destination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom