Great Movie Ride scene replacement?

Gomer

I might be alone in this, but I don’t think the GMR should have any recent movies. The theming of the theater, the queue, the load area is all golden age Hollywood. I love Alien and I love the feel of those rooms, but it has always felt out of place to me. If they really want some scares, maybe replace that with a Frankenstein’s castle room. That could have the startle factor. If they want to include sci-fi, then maybe go with a B-movie from the 50’s like a Plan 9 from Outer space? Indy works because it takes place in the 30’s so it doesn’t feel as out of place.

I’d only include new movies in the montage, but even then I’d prefer they be proven classics first so we don’t end up with awkward transitions between cinematic legends, and Narnia or Sister Act. Or at least keep the unproven movies out of the spotlight. It always bothers me when they give such a large portion of the screen and long look to Chicago. I like that movie, but it feels like it hasn’t earned its place like some of the others have. Maybe reserve those types of new movies to a split screen or quick shot?

Again, just my opinion, but the thing I love about GMR is its emphasis on old hollywood without caving to pressure to be hip for the 15 year olds in the crowd. These kids need to learn about the calssiscs too. Just a quick example…my 3yo had seen Wizard of OZ prior to our last visit but never really took to it. After going on the ride he watches it weekly, sings the munchkin song, and asks when we are going back on the movie ride so he can see that scene. The ride opened his eyes to a classic movie instead of turning that around and catering to the limited existing preferences of the younger people in the audience.

ctxak98

I might be alone in this, but I don’t think the GMR should have any recent movies. The theming of the theater, the queue, the load area is all golden age Hollywood. I love Alien and I love the feel of those rooms, but it has always felt out of place to me. If they really want some scares, maybe replace that with a Frankenstein’s castle room. That could have the startle factor. If they want to include sci-fi, then maybe go with a B-movie from the 50’s like a Plan 9 from Outer space? Indy works because it takes place in the 30’s so it doesn’t feel as out of place.

I’d only include new movies in the montage, but even then I’d prefer they be proven classics first so we don’t end up with awkward transitions between cinematic legends, and Narnia or Sister Act. Or at least keep the unproven movies out of the spotlight. It always bothers me when they give such a large portion of the screen and long look to Chicago. I like that movie, but it feels like it hasn’t earned its place like some of the others have. Maybe reserve those types of new movies to a split screen or quick shot?

Again, just my opinion, but the thing I love about GMR is its emphasis on old hollywood without caving to pressure to be hip for the 15 year olds in the crowd. These kids need to learn about the calssiscs too. Just a quick example…my 3yo had seen Wizard of OZ prior to our last visit but never really took to it. After going on the ride he watches it weekly, sings the munchkin song, and asks when we are going back on the movie ride so he can see that scene. The ride opened his eyes to a classic movie instead of turning that around and catering to the limited existing preferences of the younger people in the audience.
I agree with you here on most parts! However I feel ALIEN is considered a classic as of now!? However Disney fans aren't typically the biggest fan of "Scary" rides. However ALIEN paved the way for many more movies of its kind! It really was the first of that kind of scary! I would say Frankenstein would be a good choice, but its unfortunately UNIVERSAL! and a cheap 50's movie isn't very Iconic. I find this ride to be a mix of Iconic and classic movies. Many people don't know this but Footlight Parade and those musicals started the popularity of the movie musical so including it, is only right! I would only change out Tarzan and the random mummy scene! plus upgrading what they already have of course!

Gomer

Oh I agree with you, Alien is a classic and deserves recognition, I’m just not sure it fits with all the other golden age movies and the general theming of the ride and area to old Hollywood.

And yes, I’m an idiot, for missing the Frankenstein connection. That completely slipped my mind.

FettFan

Replace Tarzan with Who Framed Roger Rabbit's showdown with Judge Doom. They already have the steamroller and dip mobile.

Replace Casablanca with Dr Strangelove. "Mein Furher.... I CAN WALK!!!"

tl77

Nope. Six Flags holds the theme park rights to all DC characters.

Yeah I know, but Batman and Superman have been movie stars for decades, I think they kind of belong in The Great Movie Ride... I'm thinking more Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman version "Superman" and Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Danny DeVito version of "Batman"

Last edited:

Sam Magic

I would say Harry Potter, but that's a no go. Maybe Doctor Who as a way to celebrate the longest running TV show, another film could be something from the Avengers.

DinoInstitute

Why do I feel like if they were to update they would include Avatar and the host would say, "And this is James Cameron's Avatar! Speaking of which, be sure to visit Avatar Land at Disney's Animal Kingdom, coming soon! Now, back to the immersive feeling of being in the movies..."

mharrington

I'd change the Alien sequence to a Empire Strikes Back scene where Darth Vader famously utters the words, "Luke, I am your father.." to Luke. I'd also add the Rocketeer into the mix to replace Tarzan.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I would replace the Tarzan scene with a scene from "An Affair To Remember". It could be the scene on the ship where Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr promise to meet each other at the Empire State Building.

Somewhere, I would also throw in a scene from a James Bond movie, maybe "Goldfinger", such as the iconic scene where Goldfinger has Bond tied down in the path of a laser (BOND: "Do you expect me to talk?" GOLDFINGER: "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.").

I agree with some of the sentiments here, this ride should cover as many decades as possible, not just limit itself to the more recent times.

morningstar

I don't have many ideas of my own but I like many of the ideas you guys have, especially

Willy Wonka (but better Gene Wilder animatronic not Johnny Depp animatronic)
Star Wars
Titanic
Bond

In particular I think they could freshen the ride takeover scenes to new genres. How about your vehicle gets commandeered by a stormtrooper or Bond villain?

Last edited:

morningstar

In addition to adding in some recent classics, they could change up the old classics by honoring Steve McQueen. And then kids might actually understand why Lightning's last name is McQueen.

morningstar

In addition to adding in some recent classics, they could change up the old classics by honoring Steve McQueen. And then kids might actually understand why Lightning's last name is McQueen.

And it just also occurred to me that they could do a scene with Errol Flynn so they will know where Flynn Rider's name comes from.

JokersWild

If GMR were to be completely redone, I'd love to see the ride go in some chronological order. Start from the very early days of the Lumiere Brothers and Georges Melies. Transition into the silent era with Chaplin, Keaton, and Griffith (not using "Birth of a Nation," of course.) Maybe a "Jazz Singer" scene to introduce sound. The historical drama - "Gone With the Wind," any DeMille film, Casablanca, of course. Maybe "Snow White" because of its significance in film history. Really, I'd just love to see GMR become a ride that really showcases the best and the most significant films to be made throughout the 20th century. And the final room with the screen could represent modern cinema.

seascape

I think they should change the ride from Great American Movies to a story of Walt Disney Studios. It would the perfect place to star Oswald, which is where it really started no matter how we all love Mickey. It could start with Walt's early shorts for Universal and then on to the movies and television both live action and animation and end with Mary Poppins and Let's Go Fly a Kite.

elchippo

While the transition from Anubis into the Tarzan jungle would be jarring without the little mummy crypt/horror scene, I'd lose it but nothing else, as all those films are as much classics now (in my opinion, once a classic, always a classic)....my idea for a space so small and something that could be done simply-and on a realistic budget? Forrest Gump, sitting on his bench talking to us, with a projection of all his adventures from the film behind him.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 45

RedtoGray

I like it.

That said, I'd really love Willy Wonka's tunnel scene. Maybe I'm just cruel, but I think it would be a good time.
What if you did both? You could actually come into the Chocolate Room scene on the chocolate river and then exit through the tunnel scene. It goes pitch black and then the lights turn on (just like the movie) and you're in front of the Indiana Jones scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom