Great Movie Ride - Improved or not?

Retroman40

Original Poster
OK - So we've (wife and I) experienced The Great Movie Ride twice (including this afternoon) since TCM took over as sponsor and some changes were made. Personally I think it's been a major improvement; especially the queue and the final movie montage. I'm neutral on the additional commentary from Robert Osbourne (who by the way we both really like as host of TCM). My wife agrees with me about the queue and finale but thinks the additional commentary, in her words, "sucks" and that the ride host should go back to doing all the commentary. I'm kind of curious what anyone else thinks.

Jahona

We have not been on it since before the changes. We have not been since last fall so I am looking forward to see the changes they did a few months ago with the TCM change. Hoping to not be dissapointed though! :oops:

I've got video of the ride from July I can post up later.

The ride might as well be automated as the cast member really feels out of place every time they speak. The narration is done well and the effects on the ride are decent but it doesn't feel the same as it used to.

SamN'Dean

OK - So we've (wife and I) experienced The Great Movie Ride twice (including this afternoon) since TCM took over as sponsor and some changes were made. Personally I think it's been a major improvement; especially the queue and the final movie montage. I'm neutral on the additional commentary from Robert Osbourne (who by the way we both really like as host of TCM). My wife agrees with me about the queue and finale but thinks the additional commentary, in her words, "sucks" and that the ride host should go back to doing all the commentary. I'm kind of curious what anyone else thinks.

I haven't seen it yet, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Bairstow

There was always a mix of pre-taped and live narration. I don't think the current Osborne version is any better or worse than the original.
Ending montage is improved.
I liked the old movie trailer preshow loop better, and would have preferred a cleaned-up and possibly digital restoration of the it to the loop running now. The little behind the scenes vignettes are fine and all, but they're still a step down from the classic trailers.

JIMINYCR

I will be seeing the new look in Nov. but have viewed the ride through videos. I'm O.K. with the improvements and more happy since they didnt take out the sets that I love. I like Osbourne... but I find him kind of blah on the ride commentaries, glad my favorite movie clips made it in the ending flick.

DisneyJunkie

I've seen a number of videos of the entire experience of this touched-up attraction. I'm not a fan at all of the "duller than dishwater" narration of Robert Osborne. It's definitely worse than the previous narration. Geez, Osborne sounds like he wants to be doing anything but the narration for that ride. I also miss the opening film montage while you go through the queue, and the ending film montage is terrible now. I always loved the montage with "The Entertainer" playing over it. I'd really like to know the rationale behind some of the changes they make to their beloved attractions and how they can think they're improving on it. There's a terrible new(ish) spiel on the TTA and now they've messed up TGMR.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It still needs a giant animatronic over-haul. They should put part of their billion dollar investment for HS into making the animatronics as impressive as the ones in Little Mermaid and American Adventure. The Wicked Witch looks totally out of place.

Imagine how awesome the "Alien" animatronics can be!

POLY LOVER

I like it much improved, touch up the animatronic Ripley and Tarzan and it's a home run, but still good I like the Osborne touch and Tcm involvement, they are purist when it comes to old movies and restoration.

Minnie1976

I am going in October and was told that the screens from The Searchers on the big screen were removed. The Searchers is one of my favorite movies, and I wait the whole time in the queue hoping to see it. What a disappointment! I hope I am not disappointed in the rest of the attraction. They didn't need to change anything just make it all work correctly. I surely hope they didn't change the movie at the end, another of my favorites.

eddy21

I am going in October and was told that the screens from The Searchers on the big screen were removed. The Searchers is one of my favorite movies, and I wait the whole time in the queue hoping to see it. What a disappointment! I hope I am not disappointed in the rest of the attraction. They didn't need to change anything just make it all work correctly. I surely hope they didn't change the movie at the end, another of my favorites.
Yes Indians with there hair professionally styled and full make up and lipstick.

Takeitforgranite

They changed the ride while were there back in May. The first time, it w mostly the same ole thing. The second time (two days later), we had the same CM, but they had implemented the changes. It's a positive step, but they really need to take out a couple of the scenes that most people don't identify with, like Footlight Parade and Tarzan and add something that someone under 50 would have actually seen.

Jahona

They changed the ride while were there back in May. The first time, it w mostly the same ole thing. The second time (two days later), we had the same CM, but they had implemented the changes. It's a positive step, but they really need to take out a couple of the scenes that most people don't identify with, like Footlight Parade and Tarzan and add something that someone under 50 would have actually seen.

Tarzan may be a bit more relevant when the new movie comes out next year. You could tie in the old movie with the new for the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom