Grand Floridian walkway to MK - could this be happening!

Fashion Mouse

Original Poster
Just stayed at the Grand and and noticed some construction underway by the waterway where the Water Electrical Pageant is housed during the daytime. There are some really large pipes/piles/posts (?) laying around and (what looks like) two separate sections that could join together to make a bridge. This might not be it, but there is certainly something going on. It would be good if anyone staying there could give us an update.

Lots of changes, exciting stuff. It would make sense for there to be a walkway across to the Magic Kingdom.
Possible walkway to MK.jpg

Bridge.jpg

Last edited:

s&k'smom

You know my husband said a few weeks ago when we were staying at the GF he wished that the walk way was there. It looks like they started something but never finished. That would be a Godsend on nights when boat and monorail are packed.

KeithVH

Interesting. But I dunno. That's not the only water to cross. There is a creek behind the GF too. Plus the access road to that area would have to be moved or dealt with in some way to make room for the walkway. Not saying it can't be done but with the whole money thing right now I'd see this as low pri.

More importantly, that would also mean either (a) they move this every day for water pageant barge access or (b) the barges go totally bye-bye. I'm just not seeing either of those as viable options right now.

Fashion Mouse

Original Poster
I can understand the difficulties and it may well be that it isn't anything like that. What was also interesting though, was that someone was marking out the grassed area alongside the walkway from the Resorts Launch area up to the site pictured. My husband thought that might mean they were extending the Magic Kingdom (outwards under the monorail) but it seemed a bit of a coincidence that they were working with these huge pile things across the water at the same time. It's all guesswork.

Rob562

Since whatever those white ramps are are already floating out in the water, it's more likely they're replacement dock pieces for one of the boat docks in-use already. Maybe the GFV are getting their own boat dock?

-Rob

KeithVH

I would REALLY like this to become reality. Considering the weight and span, a retractable would work. But a moving bridge is much more expensive than a static fixture. I'm pessimistic I guess as I keep coming back to the money. But it would be so dang handy to have that avenue.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I believe this is construction materials for the infrastructure for monorail auto pilot. Similar materials along Epcot loop. It's being buried beneath ground surface,

emcclay

I believe this is construction materials for the infrastructure for monorail auto pilot. Similar materials along Epcot loop. It's being buried beneath ground surface,

There would be cables involved. I don't see how boat launch ramps have anything to do with the monorail, either.

Disneykidder

We've always said there needs to be a walkway. We enjoy taking the mono to MK but walking back at night would be a breeze and a nice stroll, especially if the mono is packed. Having it at BLT is very convenient. We'd walk to MK and take the mono home.

Rob562

Put something based on this same ancient technology. So little maintenance and better yet, it's "green" for all those that care about the environmental impact of everything.

That's pretty much how the MK Railroad swing bridge across the canal beyond BTMRR operates so the Liberty Belle can get to the canal. (Though I presume it's electrical and not manual, but for safety the only controls to operate it are in the middle of the tracks halfway across the bridge)

-Rob

MaryJaneP

Interesting. But I dunno. That's not the only water to cross. There is a creek behind the GF too. Plus the access road to that area would have to be moved or dealt with in some way to make room for the walkway. Not saying it can't be done but with the whole money thing right now I'd see this as low pri.

More importantly, that would also mean either (a) they move this every day for water pageant barge access or (b) the barges go totally bye-bye. I'm just not seeing either of those as viable options right now.

I think your post is that the canal is the ONLY place the EWP can be stored (either A or B), and is not reflective of other options WDW has to house EWP.

As I posted earlier, the canal needs to be kept navigable, for boats from Rivers to get to the maintenance place north of BLT, but EWP could be stored elsewhere, such as at the aforementioned maintenance facility, a reworked River Country Cove, or somewhere else on Bay Lake.

I think your concerns over $ are more likely the reason there is no complete walkway around SSL. There are a multitude of movable bridge options that WDW could employ. If WDW sold commemorative bricks/stones in the walkway, as was done for the original walkway, the walkway and bridge could possibly pay for themselves. Here's hoping.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
There would be cables involved. I don't see how boat launch ramps have anything to do with the monorail, either.

Nobody would be happier than me for a bridge to GF. Kinda funny though if the solution to transportation issues at the GF would be for the guests to walk.

But seriously, it is odd for Disney to deliver construction materials for a project like a bridge that isn't permitted that I know of. Custom bridges are expensive and going through all that engineering and manufacturing without permits seems to be a stretch.

If you look at all the pipes in the background, that is what they are stringing all the infrastructure through for the auto pilot system for the monorail. I still lean more that this is for facilitating completing of the infrastructure in the water area the monorail crosses between the GF and the MK which has a contractor and permits.

luv

They are so close to having a walkway there. It sure would be nice, too! But I haven't heard about any plans to finish it. There is always hope, though. :)

Alektronic

I think your post is that the canal is the ONLY place the EWP can be stored (either A or B), and is not reflective of other options WDW has to house EWP.

As I posted earlier, the canal needs to be kept navigable, for boats from Rivers to get to the maintenance place north of BLT, but EWP could be stored elsewhere, such as at the aforementioned maintenance facility, a reworked River Country Cove, or somewhere else on Bay Lake.

I think your concerns over $ are more likely the reason there is no complete walkway around SSL. There are a multitude of movable bridge options that WDW could employ. If WDW sold commemorative bricks/stones in the walkway, as was done for the original walkway, the walkway and bridge could possibly pay for themselves. Here's hoping.

That wouldn't work moving the EWP, because MK Parade Maintenance are same people who take care of the EWP.

MaryJaneP

Ah. More lack of personnel reasons. Oh well. They seem to be deciding against maintaining the parades (or MSEP at least looks/sounds like it is not being maintained), so EWP's time may be limited. Is this what they meant by limited time magic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom