Grand Floridian vs. Yacht Club

Fleur de Frost

Original Poster
Hi! Trying to decide which resort we're going to stay at this time around - thiiink we might have our minds made up, but any other insight would be so appreciated. :)

We'll be there in January for my 21st and, originally, had GF chosen. We stayed club level last time and adored it. A few months before that, though, we stayed concierge at Yacht Club and loved loved loved the proximity to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Being able to walk right over to the countries immediately in the morning was amazing for us.

By January, I feel like there are newer attractions I'd rather be closer to at Epcot and HS. Frozen Ever After (favorite movie in my favorite country), the new Soarin' footage, expanded everything Star Wars (! SUPER important to me) and the extra Toy Story Mania track at HS... There are more little features but those are my big 'flagship' experiences. The only newer experience at Magic Kingdom is the castle show, and that's it.

Basically! My question iiiis, which would you choose:
1) The quality and general service/atmosphere of Grand Floridian and proximity to Magic Kingdom
2) Closer proximity to attractions I'd want to visit more frequently

Thank you so much for any extra insight! <3 Hope you guys are having a great start to your weekend!

wdwfan22

The Yacht Club is currently undergoing a room refurbishment that most likely will not be completed by your visit. In my opinion the rooms are not in that great of shape at the Yacht Club. I would choose Grand Floridian as it's a much better experience. If being close to Epcot is a must for you, then I would select the Beach Club.

bee

Epcot is my favorite park so I'd always choose a Crescent Lake resort. I've stayed at the Dolphin and being able to walk or take the boat is so convenient, especially if you want to have a quiche for breakfast at Les Halles, and after Illuminations when everyone is rushing to the front of the park to take the bus and monorail. Are you planning to visit MK a lot? Take into consideration that the monorail may be down or delayed at any time, but you can always walk to Epcot without worrying about transportation.

slappy magoo

Epcot is my favorite park so I'd always choose a Crescent Lake resort. I've stayed at the Dolphin and being able to walk or take the boat is so convenient, especially if you want to have a quiche for breakfast at Les Halles, and after Illuminations when everyone is rushing to the front of the park to take the bus and monorail. Are you planning to visit MK a lot? Take into consideration that the monorail may be down or delayed at any time, but you can always walk to Epcot without worrying about transportation.
Yes, but there is also always boat access from GF to MK.
But I do agree that you should stay in the area where you think you'll spend the most time, and if you think you'll spend a lot of time in your resort, go to the place that has the most amenities you'll enjoy. Since the OP is turning 21, I'm thinking proximity to the Boardwalk area might be a plus, being able to have a few at Jellyrolls or just during dinner or around World Showcase, and being able to walk back to your resort sounds like a major advantage. Staying at GF, sure you can enjoy the restaurants and lounges along the other monorail resorts or boat to MK then catch a connecting boat to WL or FW). But to be within walking distance of 4 other resorts, and the World Showcase restaurants, I'd probably pick an Epcot resort. But if they are undergoing renovations (and in need of it), I'd probably check Beach Club & Boardwalk first.

surfsupdon

Yacht Club's fifth floor, Club Level, should be online by early November of this year, with work then continuing on the 4th floor. As a result, you should be able to book and guarantee a refurbed Club Level room for January.

This is based from my email with the front desk manager, who was looking at the work schedule. He did say that Nov1st was the target date. But I know sometimes projects take longer than expected. This information was accurate in early April when I was in email communication with the Resort.

DisDadWoz

There has always been something very relaxing about staying at the GF. Maybe just the environment but we seem to be able to have a slow paced enjoyable stay when we were there. EPCOT is our favorite resort and being able to walk in and out International Gateway and also over to HS is a huge plus for us. Yacht Club (or the other EPCOT resorts) is great for just getting up and talking a walk into another country. The nighttime activities on Boardwalk are also a good way to have fun in the evenings after trips to Hurricane Hannahs, Beaches & Cream and the like. So it does sound like you enjoy EPCOT so that may be your best bet.

Mchugs7

We always stay at The Beach Club. We feel that it allows for much easier park hopping than the MK area resorts. We love MK, but in our experience, we tend to stay in MK for longer stretches of the day than we do the other parks. This seems to make the longer commute required to get there a bit easier to stomach. When you stay at one of the Epcot area resorts you can easily pop over to Epcot for a quick lunch or Soarin ride or you can run over to HS for a quick morning ride on Tower of Terror or Rock'n Rollercoaster and then continue on with your day. I think this will be even more beneficial right now while HS is undergoing a lot of construction.

jmargarone27

I have stayed at both resorts. My heart truly belongs at the Grand Floridian, but I really do enjoy the Epcot resorts. I like Boardwalk's theming, but I like the quaint and more-adult feeling at the Yacht Club. You can't go wrong, but I would definitely not want to stay at a resort in the middle of a renovation. I actually moved to the Yacht Club when the Grand Floridian was renovating a couple years ago. I think you're better off at the Grand Floridian this time. Hope you have a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom