Grand Floridian Tips/Secrets/Advice

Blairnicol

Is the resort very spread out? we have not long been back from our last trip at OKW and although it was nice it just took ages to get anywhere and felt too far out of the loop as we were the furthest poss distance from the main building.

We visited GF for citricos and I was absolutely blown away but we definitely prefer the compact resorts (obviously a 5 minute walk is ok)
These are the two resorts I have stayed at most at WDW. OKW is one of the most spread out resorts on property. GF is much more condensed. It has lovely grounds, but it is entirely manageable. Even if you are in the furthest most building, you can easily reach the main building, the buses, the pools, and the boat launch in a 5-10 minute walk.

SW_matt

These are the two resorts I have stayed at most at WDW. OKW is one of the most spread out resorts on property. GF is much more condensed. It has lovely grounds, but it is entirely manageable. Even if you are in the furthest most building, you can easily reach the main building, the buses, the pools, and the boat launch in a 5-10 minute walk.

Thank you! The walking generally isn't an issue for us, we're in very active jobs but the main thing that got me about OKW was just the effort to walk to the main area to do stuff like refill your mug just wasn't worth it, especially after a day in the parks! OKW was one of the nicest accommodations we've had and the community pools were great which was a shame.

DisneyPrincess5

Fun tip-Some rooms have vaulted ceilings.
If you google "Grand Floridian Dormer Rooms" you will see some cool photos and get some info. I am unsure as to what rooms/views they are or on what floor but if you like that kind of room, it won't hurt to make a simple request and maybe it'll come through.

21stamps

You certainly don't need a "young" lady in your travel group for this. I am in my 50's, and my wife and I love the afternoon tea. Have done it several times, and we try to go every trip. A wonderful experience, and very relaxing. Highly recommended.

I have been trying to book the afternoon tea for about 48 hours straight. Does it usually open up closer to? Or is that something that the hoarders don't book?

Beacon Joe

The GF reminds us of the Hotel Del Coronado where we were stationed at last, so we can't wait to stay there.

Well, it's not such a secret, but though the Grand Floridian's architecture is billed as a nod to Florida's past, its design is based on a resort in New Hampshire, and yes, the beloved Del in San Diego.

I'm interested in seeing if any good secrets or insider tips pop up in this thread. I think that the biggest one have been mentioned (monorail to MK/launch to return, the band, Mizners), but I'll throw out a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. If you plan to use the fitness center, be advised that there are no locker rooms or bathrooms in the gym. Other than that, I really like the gym. It's better than my local club, that's for sure. If you're working out and desperately need to hit the head, you can beg the attendants at the attached spa, or duck across to the DVC (there's a guest bathroom just off the lobby on the righthand side).

2. If you like sushi, be advised that you can find sushi made from the Japan pavilion sushi chefs at the Gasparilla Grill (look in the coolers, near the bottom). This is something I never noticed until my last night there this past Summer, much to my chagrin (I'm not really a fan of most of the stuff at the Gasparilla).

3. People will crowd around the dock to watch the fireworks, which is fine, but there are multiple spots around the resort and along the pathway to the Polynesian that offer great views. The bar deck next to the kid pool is a good spot.

4. If your 18 month old isn't in bed, the lights of the nightly electrical water pageant may fascinate him. My kids get a kick out of it.

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Well, it's not such a secret, but though the Grand Floridian's architecture is billed as a nod to Florida's past, its design is based on a resort in New Hampshire, and yes, the beloved Del in San Diego.

I'm interested in seeing if any good secrets or insider tips pop up in this thread. I think that the biggest one have been mentioned (monorail to MK/launch to return, the band, Mizners), but I'll throw out a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. If you plan to use the fitness center, be advised that there are no locker rooms or bathrooms in the gym. Other than that, I really like the gym. It's better than my local club, that's for sure. If you're working out and desperately need to hit the head, you can beg the attendants at the attached spa, or duck across to the DVC (there's a guest bathroom just off the lobby on the righthand side).

2. If you like sushi, be advised that you can find sushi made from the Japan pavilion sushi chefs at the Gasparilla Grill (look in the coolers, near the bottom). This is something I never noticed until my last night there this past Summer, much to my chagrin (I'm not really a fan of most of the stuff at the Gasparilla).

3. People will crowd around the dock to watch the fireworks, which is fine, but there are multiple spots around the resort and along the pathway to the Polynesian that offer great views. The bar deck next to the kid pool is a good spot.

4. If your 18 month old isn't in bed, the lights of the nightly electrical water pageant may fascinate him. My kids get a kick out of it.

Thanks for the info! 62 days out now. Even though we visit the every time we're there, we never have stayed there to know all the little things. All good tips!

Victaman

We enjoyed watching from the dock area but I hadn't thought of the bar deck as you suggested. One thing about the dock that we enjoyed is the fact that they play the music and/or narration from the fireworks show there. Can you also hear it at the bar deck area? Just curious, thanks.

Beacon Joe

We enjoyed watching from the dock area but I hadn't thought of the bar deck as you suggested. One thing about the dock that we enjoyed is the fact that they play the music and/or narration from the fireworks show there. Can you also hear it at the bar deck area? Just curious, thanks.

Yup. The music is piped throughout the resort.

21stamps

So, how did it go, rle4lunch? Hopefully, the resort lived up to your expectations.
Glad you posted.. I forgot about this thread.

OP- if you haven't gone yet--

Make sure to go to the Gone Mad Party. I think it's Wednesday and Sunday's right now. We went on a Sunday.

Also the new champagne and wine bar is nice.. it's in the garden view tea room in the evenings.

Thirdly- make sure to order the lobster sliders and crab cake sandwich from the pool bar..with a coco-jito! The lobster Benedict at GF Cafe is delicious too!

Tony the Tigger

I have to bookmark this thread and re-read it about 14 times for retention. Staying at the GF in Sept 2017 for a special occasion.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here that I already booked (and made a thread about in more detail - you can search for it) is you can book a private "intimate dining" experience at the GF, either on the 3rd floor outdoor balcony or the 5th floor indoors, complete with butler!

rle4lunch

Original Poster
I'll give a quick down and dirty assessment of the GF on a by-category breakdown. Here you go!

Customer Service- A+. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, the GF staff were courteous, polite, attentive and most importantly, quick to respond to our needs.

Resort Amenities- A-. The positives; buildings and grounds/pool areas immaculate and well kept, Christmas theming was on-point and not gaudy (we visit it all the time when staying at other resorts). Neutral/Possible Negatives. Gasparilla was closed, forcing us to change our dining plan breakfast plans to either eating granola bars that we brought or kinda wasting a QS credit at Mezner's. Mezner's should've stocked more stuff while Gasparilla is closed. One can only eat *so many* delicious cinnamon rolls before they need something else.

Room- B. Positives; The room was clean and in good condition. We were in Boca Chica, so the view to the lagoon was awesome and relaxing to go out on the patio in the morning and take in the muffled sounds from around the lagoon and watch the wildlife. Negatives; the bed was lumpy and weird, and created a U in the middle where my wife and I (and our 19 month old son) would roll into the middle of it in our sleep. We called to have it looked at and all they did was replace the top pad and not the mattress (when it was a mattress problem, not a pad problem). Shower and water. The shower wouldn't drain. After 5 minutes in it, you were standing in a puddle up to your calves. Also, the drain plug wouldn't work, making it impossible to bath our kid without constantly refilling the tub. Maintenance came and fixed both on day 2. Water temp, HORRIBLE. It would take 5-8 minutes to get warm water out of the shower. Then when it kicked in, it would scald you for a couple minutes then slowly taper off back to cold. Not a good trait for a 5-star hotel. A normal 5-7 minute shower (for a guy) would take 15-20 minutes due to the water flux, not good when you're trying to stick to your set in stone Fastpass+ Disney day. Lastly, no clocks in the room. That's pretty petty. Our other pet peeve is that not ONE Disney resort (we've stayed at pretty much every Deluxe Disney resort in North America) has microwaves. That's pure Disney greed folks. Sometimes I'd like to not spend $30 on breakfast for 2 people and a toddler and just warm up something I brought with us. Next time we go, I'm buying a cheap $50 microwave and hiding it in the closet during the day.

So, an A- overall.

All in all, it was an enjoyable stay. Even with some very rude and noisy New York/New Jersey neighbors, we thought that we got a pretty good value for our money spent there. Sad to see the rope fences blocking the beaches as we walked back and forth to the Poly a few times. Amazed that the Poly is more money than the GF to stay at. Growing up my parents always stayed at the Poly, so it's near and dear to my heart (hate to see the lobby without the waterfall), but the GF really does set the deluxe standard for Disney resorts.

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Glad you posted.. I forgot about this thread.

OP- if you haven't gone yet--

Make sure to go to the Gone Mad Party. I think it's Wednesday and Sunday's right now. We went on a Sunday.

Also the new champagne and wine bar is nice.. it's in the garden view tea room in the evenings.

Thirdly- make sure to order the lobster sliders and crab cake sandwich from the pool bar..with a coco-jito! The lobster Benedict at GF Cafe is delicious too!

Thanks, but we'll have to try for the next trip! We were so booked with FP+ on other things that we didn't get to do much in-resort stuff.

21stamps

I'll give a quick down and dirty assessment of the GF on a by-category breakdown. Here you go!

Customer Service- A+. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, the GF staff were courteous, polite, attentive and most importantly, quick to respond to our needs.

Resort Amenities- A-. The positives; buildings and grounds/pool areas immaculate and well kept, Christmas theming was on-point and not gaudy (we visit it all the time when staying at other resorts). Neutral/Possible Negatives. Gasparilla was closed, forcing us to change our dining plan breakfast plans to either eating granola bars that we brought or kinda wasting a QS credit at Mezner's. Mezner's should've stocked more stuff while Gasparilla is closed. One can only eat *so many* delicious cinnamon rolls before they need something else.

Room- B. Positives; The room was clean and in good condition. We were in Boca Chica, so the view to the lagoon was awesome and relaxing to go out on the patio in the morning and take in the muffled sounds from around the lagoon and watch the wildlife. Negatives; the bed was lumpy and weird, and created a U in the middle where my wife and I (and our 19 month old son) would roll into the middle of it in our sleep. We called to have it looked at and all they did was replace the top pad and not the mattress (when it was a mattress problem, not a pad problem). Shower and water. The shower wouldn't drain. After 5 minutes in it, you were standing in a puddle up to your calves. Also, the drain plug wouldn't work, making it impossible to bath our kid without constantly refilling the tub. Maintenance came and fixed both on day 2. Water temp, HORRIBLE. It would take 5-8 minutes to get warm water out of the shower. Then when it kicked in, it would scald you for a couple minutes then slowly taper off back to cold. Not a good trait for a 5-star hotel. A normal 5-7 minute shower (for a guy) would take 15-20 minutes due to the water flux, not good when you're trying to stick to your set in stone Fastpass+ Disney day. Lastly, no clocks in the room. That's pretty petty. Our other pet peeve is that not ONE Disney resort (we've stayed at pretty much every Deluxe Disney resort in North America) has microwaves. That's pure Disney greed folks. Sometimes I'd like to not spend $30 on breakfast for 2 people and a toddler and just warm up something I brought with us. Next time we go, I'm buying a cheap $50 microwave and hiding it in the closet during the day.

So, an A- overall.

All in all, it was an enjoyable stay. Even with some very rude and noisy New York/New Jersey neighbors, we thought that we got a pretty good value for our money spent there. Sad to see the rope fences blocking the beaches as we walked back and forth to the Poly a few times. Amazed that the Poly is more money than the GF to stay at. Growing up my parents always stayed at the Poly, so it's near and dear to my heart (hate to see the lobby without the waterfall), but the GF really does set the deluxe standard for Disney resorts.

Glad you had a good time! Sorry about the negatives. The Beach Pool bar was serving breakfast as well. I went in Mizner's once and didn't purchase anything, did not return. The qs food at the pool was decent. Grand Floridian Cafe was doing take out due to Gasparilla's being closed, but if you were on the dining plan it would count as a table service.

We were also in Boca Chica! I hate to say this, but I am so glad that I wasn't in your room. I NEED hot water!lol. I would have been on the phone with the front desk immediately. The pressure though is always such a problem in Florida. Drives me nuts.

The fences really made the whole atmosphere different. I still love it, but it's just sad to see. My 6 year old questioned their existence and the humongous-every 3 feet- signage instantly. I just told him that some people couldn't read and Disney put up a fence so people wouldn't swim. His response- "That's dumb." It seemed to satisfy him though.

I thought my kid would absolutely love the Christmas flair at GF. Here's what he did- after walking out thru the lobby and seeing Poly, he asked why we couldn't just stay there again. My heart sunk. His attitude changed as soon as he saw the water slide at GF though, and he ended up saying that he liked both equally. He did say that one thing he liked better than Poly was the turn down and chocolates.
Ok, the chocolates, I don't think he cared about the turn down service. I do wish that Poly did the same.

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Glad you had a good time! Sorry about the negatives. The Beach Pool bar was serving breakfast as well. I went in Mizner's once and didn't purchase anything, did not return. The qs food at the pool was decent. Grand Floridian Cafe was doing take out due to Gasparilla's being closed, but if you were on the dining plan it would count as a table service.

We were also in Boca Chica! I hate to say this, but I am so glad that I wasn't in your room. I NEED hot water!lol. I would have been on the phone with the front desk immediately. The pressure though is always such a problem in Florida. Drives me nuts.

The fences really made the whole atmosphere different. I still love it, but it's just sad to see. My 6 year old questioned their existence and the humongous-every 3 feet- signage instantly. I just told him that some people couldn't read and Disney put up a fence so people wouldn't swim. His response- "That's dumb." It seemed to satisfy him though.

I thought my kid would absolutely love the Christmas flair at GF. Here's what he did- after walking out thru the lobby and seeing Poly, he asked why we couldn't just stay there again. My heart sunk. His attitude changed as soon as he saw the water slide at GF though, and he ended up saying that he liked both equally. He did say that one thing he liked better than Poly was the turn down and chocolates.
Ok, the chocolates, I don't think he cared about the turn down service. I do wish that Poly did the same.

Yeah, we looked in on the café thing for breakfast, but the dining plan put the kibosh on that. The bright note on that though, we used a table service at Kona at Poly and it was an awesome breakfast. Their new loco-moco was great (better than what I got in Hawaii IMO). Another thing on the water, I really hate that they have to use so much softener in it, the sulfur smell is really bad.

We were able to catch Finding Dory on the lawn out in front of our building one night which was cool. The weather played havoc with our wardrobe choices for the week on Friday though. They didn't revise the forecast (it was 49 as the high) until the week we were there, so we were ill prepared for the cold snap that went through.

The chocolates came home with us. I don't know what it is with Disney and their damned desserts for every lunch/dinner DP, but we had enough chocolate to choke a horse!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom