Grand Floridian Tips/Secrets/Advice

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Hello all. I was hoping to gain some insight on the Grand Floridian. We just booked our trip for the first week of December 2016 and I was hoping to get a little bit of inside knowledge on the resort if possible. We've been to many DL/WDW resorts before, but this is the first for the GF. We've visited it at Christmastime and know about the big gingerbread house and live music as well, but are there any tidbits of info on resort offerings and/or little known amenities that we should be on the lookout for? Thanks for any insight!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I'm following along because I will be staying there for the first time this summer.

The only advice I know if so far is to take the Monorail to the MK but take the boat back from the MK. The resort monorail travels clockwise around the lake so the GF is the last stop before the MK. When leaving the MK, the monorail stops at the Contemporary, Trans Center, and Poly before getting to the GF.

rle4lunch

Original Poster
I'm following along because I will be staying there for the first time this summer.

The only advice I know if so far is to take the Monorail to the MK but take the boat back from the MK. The resort monorail travels clockwise around the lake so the GF is the last stop before the MK. When leaving the MK, the monorail stops at the Contemporary, Trans Center, and Poly before getting to the GF.

Thanks, good to know. Quick question, how do you get your little countdown clock on your signature?

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Thanks, good to know. Quick question, how do you get your little countdown clock on your signature?

Here is a link to the instructions:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/trip-countdown.880172/

For me, my signature is coded as COUNTDOWN=2016/08/01 08:00] First Time at The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - [/COUNTDOWN. (Note: There is a bracket at the beginning and at the end. It tried to post it with the brackets, but it thought I was using a countdown in the message).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Agree with this advice. The next stop on the monorail is the Magic Kingdom. The boat goes from the Magic Kingdom boat launch to the GF first, then Poly. However, the boats are smaller than ones from the Wilderness Lodge, so plan accordingly. And it appears that others have figured out that monorail to MK and boat back to GF is the best.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The lobby at the GF smells wonderful - I wish Disney would bottle that scent. As a matter of fact, all the Deluxe resort lobbies have their own unique fragrance.

The band at the GF plays in the afternoon. Sometimes there is someone playing the grand piano in the lobby. And then there is the Doll Lady. She is an elderly woman from the area and she and her late husband would come to the GF lobby every afternoon to hear the band play. She still comes most afternoons. She used to sit in the lobby, but when we stayed last week, I noticed her sitting on one of the sofas on the 2nd floor in the area near the staircase. And don't forget Richard, the greeter outside. He's been there since dirt, just about, and is the oldest CM at WDW, from what I understand. He's in his 90s, I think, and is very friendly, so make sure to say hello when you arrive.

You can walk from the GF back to the Poly. If it's a lovely evening and you don't mind a 15-20 minute walk, that's how I would get to Poly for an ADR - that way you don't have to take the loop around the Magic Kingdom and TTC to get to Poly. Then just take the monorail to the GF, because it is the next stop after Poly.

We stayed in Sago Cay - it's near the Main building and thus all the restaurants, but far enough away so you don't get noise from the pool and bar area. If you can, when you check in on-line, ask for a dormer room. You have a private balcony rather than one long balcony partitioned off for each room. We stayed in a 2 bedroom at the GF Villas and I was glad I asked for an upper floor, because given the direction our room faced, I could see into several of the rooms on the floors below us and some of those lower floors probably could see into ours.

If you want to be pampered with a spa day, the GF and Saratoga Springs are the only Disney resorts with an attached spa. While SSR spa is larger, GF is swankier. Just make sure to order any spa services you want far in advance because the slots fill up fast. And like most Deluxe resorts, GF has a fitness center - it's next door to the spa in the same building over by the Villas.

And unlike the other Deluxe resorts, the GF has two VERY nice (and expensive) clothing shops - one for the guys and one for the gals.

Make sure to take time to wander around the resort.

Oh, and one last thing. If there is a young lady in your travel group, try to snag an ADR for the afternoon tea - it's wonderful. There are several menu options (one includes starting with an adult beverage - that's MY favorite, lol) - tea sandwiches, pastries, etc. We've always enjoyed having an afternoon tea break after a long day at the park.

Enjoy your stay - you will be spoiled and not want to stay after any other resort.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Oh, and one last thing. If there is a young lady in your travel group, try to snag an ADR for the afternoon tea - it's wonderful. There are several menu options (one includes starting with an adult beverage - that's MY favorite, lol) - tea sandwiches, pastries, etc. We've always enjoyed having an afternoon tea break after a long day at the park.
You certainly don't need a "young" lady in your travel group for this. I am in my 50's, and my wife and I love the afternoon tea. Have done it several times, and we try to go every trip. A wonderful experience, and very relaxing. Highly recommended.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You certainly don't need a "young" lady in your travel group for this. I am in my 50's, and my wife and I love the afternoon tea. Have done it several times, and we try to go every trip. A wonderful experience, and very relaxing. Highly recommended.

I was also thinking of the Princess tea more for little girls, if it is still offered. I'm in my sixth decade and will always be a "young" lady. ;)

The_Jobu

I was also thinking of the Princess tea more for little girls, if it is still offered. I'm in my sixth decade and will always be a "young" lady. ;)

Ok, the "princess tea" is definitely for girls (and definitely expensive), but as a young man I can admit that I love going for afternoon tea with my girlfriend and we were fortunate enough to try the tea service at GF last year.

The ambiance and foodstuffs are quite lovely, especially with the CM's in full tea room regalia. It was a great experience, but my only complaint is that I've been to tea rooms that charge more than double and some that charge fractions of the GF (and all manner in between) but GF was the only tea room that I've been in that charged for a tea refill ($25 at that!). Still, it was quite a nice experience that I would recommend.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I just stayed at GF for the first time in November and it was absolutely perfect! One of my favorite parts of our stay was going to Mizner's Lounge. It's such a nice place to relax and it's right by where the band plays so you can chill out, have a drink, and listen to the music. The key lime pie there was super delicious! I also realized on our second night there that their food court is open 24 hours a day, so even after a long day at MK when we didn't get back to the room until 1am or so we were still able to go grab a late night snack. We also found on our first night that they play the Wishes music near the water (we sat near the food court, not sure if they play the music elsewhere also) when the fireworks are going off and that was a super magical moment for us.

Also, we had breakfast at the GF Cafe and it was quite good and we felt it was pretty affordable by Disney standards! Also for the gingerbread house make sure to stop for one of the demonstrations they do! I hadn't seen a demonstration until I visited this year and it was fascinating (plus we got free samples of the same gingerbread they make the house out of)!

I hope you have a wonderful stay! :)

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Good to know about the quick service places and areas to see the fireworks if needed. We've taken the boat over to the Polynesian after the park closed before and I remember it stopping at Grand Floridian first as well. Good tips!

DisDadWoz

One of the most relaxing walks around it the trip over to the poly along the water. It is very quiet and relaxing with most evenings being able to hear the waves gently hit the beach. It takes away a lot of stress. We also take the walk in the morning also to grab a cup of coffee at Kona.

RMichael21

We love staying at GF. I'd HIGHLY recommend Narcoossee's, which is a really amazing restaurant along the Seven Seas Lagoon. It's a nice medium between other GF locations and Victoria and Alberts, which is VERY expensive.

The GF atmosphere is by far my favorite at any of the WDW hotels as well, especially at night when no one is around.

For breakfast, the Grand Floridian Cafe is okay, but be warned service has been slow every time that I've stayed there, which isn't very helpful if you're trying to make the rope drop. Therefore, I'd recommend the small breakfast place with quicker offerings (the name is escaping me). Still great food, but it's four times as fast. Because I can't seem to remember the name, if you exit the lobby of GF near the Gf Cafe and go left and just follow the building on your left, you should see it right to the left. :p

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Therefore, I'd recommend the small breakfast place with quicker offerings (the name is escaping me). Still great food, but it's four times as fast. Because I can't seem to remember the name, if you exit the lobby of GF near the Gf Cafe and go left and just follow the building on your left, you should see it right to the left. :p
Gasparilla's :happy:

rle4lunch

Original Poster
We love staying at GF. I'd HIGHLY recommend Narcoossee's, which is a really amazing restaurant along the Seven Seas Lagoon. It's a nice medium between other GF locations and Victoria and Alberts, which is VERY expensive.

The GF atmosphere is by far my favorite at any of the WDW hotels as well, especially at night when no one is around.

For breakfast, the Grand Floridian Cafe is okay, but be warned service has been slow every time that I've stayed there, which isn't very helpful if you're trying to make the rope drop. Therefore, I'd recommend the small breakfast place with quicker offerings (the name is escaping me). Still great food, but it's four times as fast. Because I can't seem to remember the name, if you exit the lobby of GF near the Gf Cafe and go left and just follow the building on your left, you should see it right to the left. :p

Thanks for the tips. We'll have our 18 month old son with us, so any dress code restaurants will be off the table for us this trip.

rle4lunch

Original Poster
On a side note, we're really considering the Disney Dining Plan. We've stayed at DL/WDW resorts probably a dozen times and always automatically turned it down when the booking agent brings it up. Have any of you used it, and more importantly, is it worth $61/day/person? Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom