Grand Floridian and Poly to the Pop?

Wellington2011

Original Poster
Last May we stayed at the Grand Floridian, this past May we stayed at the Polynesian and we just got a "Kids Stay and Play for Free" offer. We're thinking of going in early October, just before our youngest turns 3. We'll have a 5, 4 and 2 year old. The kids are so excited about Halloween and the idea of MNSSHP. We discovered, that with this offer, we can stay at the Pop Century and get tickets to MNSSHP all for under $2,000! About a 3rd of what we paid for the room and parks the last two times we went. However, we're worried about being disappointed from going to the monorail route to a value resort. We will have a car this time, which should help. Thoughts? Thanks!

tractor tipper

For me POP is more adult to older teen themed. It's based on the Pop culture of the different decades. Young kids are just starting their decade.
Your kids will probably have no concept of a land line, snail mail, TV, and other things we have grown up with. You will be able to show and teach them your history (we had one of those). Can't do that at GF or Poly. I think you will love it.

DisneyDaver

Last May we stayed at the Grand Floridian, this past May we stayed at the Polynesian and we just got a "Kids Stay and Play for Free" offer. We're thinking of going in early October, just before our youngest turns 3. We'll have a 5, 4 and 2 year old. The kids are so excited about Halloween and the idea of MNSSHP. We discovered, that with this offer, we can stay at the Pop Century and get tickets to MNSSHP all for under $2,000! About a 3rd of what we paid for the room and parks the last two times we went. However, we're worried about being disappointed from going to the monorail route to a value resort. We will have a car this time, which should help. Thoughts? Thanks!

I stayed at the deluxe monorail hotels as a kid and teenager with my family, then stayed at the value resorts in my 20's when that fit my budget, and now that I can afford it, I stay at the deluxe monorail resorts again ... but I loved every visit whether at a deluxe or a value. I suspect you and your family will feel the same way. MNSSHP is a blast! I would book the value and go for it!

correcaminos

I'll be honest the values are the ones that I cannot happily make the jump to. They are busier/noisier to me and the theming is just so in your face that I cannot relax easily there. Going from Queen beds to Full sized is too much for me as well (we normally get a king honestly). Not being able to easily get to a park is just a side thought, but it is there as well. While many love the values I don't think they are for everyone.

wdwmamamouse

Can you put 5 in a room at POP?
It is certainly a different experience than staying at GF and Poly - your room is smaller, the beds are smaller, the bathroom is tight with only one sink, no closet and all exterior rooms...5 in a room would be tight! Having your car will help a lot - we drive everywhere except MK and then take the bus from POP--
The grounds at POP have a lot of cement for the kids to run around and it is a nice walk over to AoA --the food courts at both POP and AoA are pretty good. The pool at POP is fine - no slide tho.
POP is our favorite value and my husband and I usually stay there when it is just the two of us at WDW for a few days, POR our favorite moderate and WL our favorite deluxe with our family...they all offer positives/negatives and a lot depends on how much time you will spend at the resort itself.
As long as you are realistic in your expectations I think POP could be a good choice and it sounds like a good deal with the tickets for MNSSHP..good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Can you put 5 in a room at POP?
You can if the 5th is a child under 3.

@Wellington2011, room size and comfort will be your biggest adjustment. Less space means less place to put all your stuff, making an already small room feel smaller. Add a porta crib and it will be tight. One sink rather than two means only one person at a time can use it. Double bed for 2 adults is cozy.

That said, if you plan to spend most of your time out of your room Pop is a great value. Your young children will likely enjoy the giant building icons and vibe of the resort. There is a kids splash area and a playground (something neither GF nor Poly has). AoA is a quick walk across the bridge and the theming there is amazing for kids!

bethymouse

No pool slide. No table service restaurant. Motel feel with outside corridors. Bus transportation only. If you're OK with all of those, then go for it!:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom