GoPro or Similar Recommendations

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
I am looking into getting a GoPro in addition to my DSLR for my trip in September. I've never used one before but I get how they work. I want to be able to get video of my kids on rides and in the water but not have to be staring through a screen the whole time. I think one of these types of cameras will be great for that. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which model (there are several) or if they recommend an alternative brand? Any input would be appreciated.

ddbowdoin

I am looking into getting a GoPro in addition to my DSLR for my trip in September. I've never used one before but I get how they work. I want to be able to get video of my kids on rides and in the water but not have to be staring through a screen the whole time. I think one of these types of cameras will be great for that. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which model (there are several) or if they recommend an alternative brand? Any input would be appreciated.

The GoPro footage that I have seen is often misleading... seems like the material released from go-pro themselves must be somehow unlocked in terms of the quality. I just never see independent footage on YouTube that has the clarity and definition of the work released by GoPro themselves. With that said they are the leaders in the product market.

LSUxStitch

Own a GoPro Hero2 and it's great for vacation videos, but bear in mind that you will need to do some editing or video layout to make videos like you see on youtube. Sure you could just have a bunch of random videos, but when you can put it all together into a 'movie', it really turns into something special.

ciscobee

I had a friend lend me his GoPro 3 and I did some 2.7k 24 FPS of the fireworks. Man, I was grateful I had it. Way better than the good ol'days of rocking a VHS-C and a DSLR! One thing I will say ... These chew through batteries. In terms of ease of use, it's easy.

The big gotchas with a GoPro are 1.) you trying to be still holding onto something with a baseball grip. 2.) You not putting your thumb or index finger over the extreme wide angle shot 3.) you knowing how to navigate the menus before you go. Absolutely don't try to figure it out at the park! Competitor wise, Sony just released a cam with a Zeiss lens and a 720p 120FPS mode. That slo-mo is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/HDR-AS100VR-H...id=1404873369&sr=8-7&keywords=sony+pov+camera

That Sony also does 50mbps which is overall better color. Some online compares between both give the Gopro a sharpness edge and the Sony the color edge and audio. GoPro audio is ummm,..... yeah. Anyway, I don't own the Sony but it sounds intriguing.

One thing I really liked about the GoPro form factor,... It's immune to rides. You can hold that camera with a rock solid grip barreling around corners at Everest or on Kali amidst a deluge of water (there's a living seas shout out!). I think if I owned one I would snag a GoPole. People get great angles with those. Or maybe a drone with a gimble ... Hmmm, perhaps I should not buy one :)

PeteM92

I've just come back from a 2 week trip to Disney and I took my GoPro Hero3+ with me as well as a small GoPro pole and i was more than happy with it. Got some great footage with it (currently exporting a copy of my holiday montage as we speak funnily enough). I think if you do take a GoPro with you I would heavily recommend getting a pole with it as they are so versatile and you can get loads of great footage and photos. I found it very useful at getting pictures of my whole family without the hassle of getting someone else to take the photo. I took my GoPro to all the disney parks (including the water parks) and on all the rides and I can't really fault it. You also get a free download of GoPro's video editing software with a GoPro which admittedly isn't as good as professional video editing software but it does have some good functions, is easy to use and does the job really. I personally think if you are on the fence about whether to get one or not for your disney vacation, I would say go for it or else you will regret it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom