Goofy's Sky School

TP2000

Original Poster
With the following news from Miceage today, I think it's time we get a Goofy's Sky School thread going.

"Editor's Note 6/3: After the Toy Story Musical exhibit for the Blue Sky Cellar was axed along with the show itself last month, WDI has fast-tracked their exhibits on the Little Mermaid and Goofy's Sky School attractions. The rushed displays will now debut in the Blue Sky Cellar preview center on June 11th. Once you've grabbed your World of Color Fastpass that morning, head over to the preview center to check out the next new attractions coming to DCA in less than a year's time. - Al Lutz" http://www.miceage.com

I wasn't really that jazzed up about the Goofy's Sky School remake, mainly because I'm not a big fan of Mulholland Madness. But now that we've seen how wonderful the Silly Symphony Swings remake of the Orange Stinger turned out, I'm getting more excited for Goofy's Sky School.

We'll definitely have some pictures of artwork and maybe a model when the new exhibit opens next week at the preview center. But let's kick things off with a couple pictures showing just how cheap and charmless Mulholland Madness is, and why it's destined for Yesterland.

MulhollandMadness1.jpg

MulhollandMadness5.jpg

sponono88

here's a piece of concept art to start things off :)

Inspired by his "How To" cartoon series of the 1940s and 1950s, Goofy offers lessons in barnstorming at his seaside flying school — Goofy's Sky School.

20-GoofyFlyingSchool.jpg

Wilt Dasney

I'm definitely in favor of better theming for the ride...but you can only do so much to polish it up when the ride system seems to be the same jerky, painful, irritating experience as Primeval Whirl.

But even if you can't make it a better ride, I'm all in favor of improving the aesthetics.

dweezil78

I can understand them keeping the swings -- but this one is a head scratcher. As noted above, it's a pretty painful jerky ride and lightyears away from being Disney caliber, even with all the sprucing up in the world.

The swings can get away with it as they act as more of a diversion, a way to take in the scenery in a different way ala Astro Jets. The views you get from this coaster are ugly and industrial looking at best.

Would have much rather them wait until they had the funds to completely demolish this monstrosity and replace it with something worthy of the space!

sponono88

^ GSS is expected to be a temporary overlay until they come up with a new attraction for that space. Everything I've read about it says that land the attraction sits on has been looked at for future expansion. So while the improvements are a step up from Mulholland Madness, the ride isn't expected to stay forever.

dweezil78

^ GSS is expected to be a temporary overlay until they come up with a new attraction for that space. Everything I've read about it says that land the attraction sits on has been looked at for future expansion. So while the improvements are a step up from Mulholland Madness, the ride isn't expected to stay forever.

Awesome, that's what I was hoping! It's a good sign then that Disney is even willing to put money into sprucing up attractions they plan on replacing!

sponono88

An update and video from the Disney Parks Blog, along with a closing date announcement for Mullholand Madness:

Exciting changes continue at Disney California Adventure park. In June, “World of Color” began making a nighttime splash at the park and Silly Symphony Swings began offering a musical ride in Paradise Pier.

As you might already know, Goofy’s Sky School will add even more fun to Paradise Pier in 2011. The attraction is inspired by the 1940 cartoon short, “Goofy’s Glider.” It’s a flying academy that follows Goofy’s attempts to teach a group of novice pilots how to fly.

While you might have heard about the attraction, I know there’s one thing I know you haven’t seen … and that’s Goofy dreaming about the new attraction that’s being created in his honor. Take a look at this video and let us know what you think in the comments.

In order for Mickey and Goofy to get ready for this transformation, Mulholland Madness will close October 12, and the last time guests can go for a spin on Disney’s version of Mulholland Drive is October 11.

The short video, featuring Goofy and Mickey, can be seen at this link: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...tinues-with-goofy’s-sky-school-and-cars-land/

Wilt Dasney

An update and video from the Disney Parks Blog, along with a closing date announcement for Mullholand Madness:

The short video, featuring Goofy and Mickey, can be seen at this link: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...tinues-with-goofy’s-sky-school-and-cars-land/
I don't understand that release. The ride is closing on Oct. 12, but Oct. 11 is the last day guests can ride? So the ride will be "open" on Oct. 12, but no guests will be allowed on? That sounds like the definition of a closed ride to me. :shrug: :lol:

sponono88

I don't understand that release. The ride is closing on Oct. 12, but Oct. 11 is the last day guests can ride? So the ride will be "open" on Oct. 12, but no guests will be allowed on? That sounds like the definition of a closed ride to me. :shrug: :lol:

Oct. 11 will be the last day the ride will operate. The ride will be closed starting Oct. 12. :)

dweezil78

It's kind of weird that they're making an aviation themed ride in the pier section of the park when they have a section of the park devoted to...well... aviation. No?

TP2000

Original Poster
It's kind of weird that they're making an aviation themed ride in the pier section of the park when they have a section of the park devoted to...well... aviation. No?

Eh, I think Sky School is so totally removed from the look and feel of Condor Flats and Soarin' that the vast majority of people won't even think about it.

If anything, it's more of a concern that there will be two desert areas of the park by 2012; Condor Flats and Cars Land.

Of course, that also helps explain the rumored retheme of Condor Flats to the National Park theme of Grizzly Peak.

Mukta

Awww. I will.
I know that the CA theme didn't appeal to many, but it appealed to me. A crazy mouse coaster on Mulholland was fun. Superstar Limo was cheesy, but fit the theme.
That being said, I am fine with Goofy's Sky School coming in. I just wish other people could enjoy the park without having characters involved in every inch of the park.

TP2000

Original Poster
Awww. I will.
I know that the CA theme didn't appeal to many, but it appealed to me. A crazy mouse coaster on Mulholland was fun. Superstar Limo was cheesy, but fit the theme.

I LOVED Superstar Limo because it was so cheesy. I miss that ride, and I miss it more when I realize how badly it would have aged just within the first five years. By 2010 it would be horrifically outdated. Did Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas get any work after Superstar Limo opened? They disappeared completely, along with Jackie Chan and Cindy Crawford. :lookaroun

I don't mind the Mad Mouse ride system of Madness, nor the theme of a wild ride down Mulholland Drive. But it was done so cheaply and so crudely on Mullholand Madness that it became one of the poster childs for DCA troubles.

They spent a small chunk of change trying to improve it from its opening day appearance, including adding a cloud-themed sound wall on the backside in late '01, and bolting about 50 road signs to the walls of the queue and alongside the track around 2002. But it didn't help much. It is what it is.

Judging from the concept art and how Silly Symphony Swings turned out, Goofy's Sky School is going to be far prettier to look at. And this is the first attraction ever dedicated to Goofy, which is pretty cool.

TP2000

Original Poster

Oh, my gosh, you're right! And here I thought me and my encyclopedic knowledge of Disney theme parks was so cool. :eek:

Now that I think about it, Goofy's Barnstormer is about the only Magic Kingdom attraction I've never been on, aside from the extinct Swan Boats and their version of the Explorer Canoes. Maybe that's why I forgot about it? :D

sponono88

With Mulholland Madness now closed, new walls have been put up around the attraction:

Goofy's Sky School - Classes begin 2011

1047980720_ADQ4z-M.jpg

1047980377_5AuQP-M.jpg

1047981034_pujXE-M.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom