Golf Lesson, Fishing, Archery, or Something Else?

21stamps

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

We will be doing-
Mini golf.
Parasailing.
Bike rental.
Boat rental.
One day will most likely be a cabana rental at the resort pool for a football game, depending on what game is on that day.

We will have 3 resort days including arrival day, but will also have an entire morning and afternoon before MVMCP. We may possibly have 4 if I end up adding a night, but I'm very undecided on that..and leaning against it.

Kiddo has a bow and arrow and uses it pretty often at home, so while not a new experience, it would be a Disney "new". He wasn't old enough last year.

He is also a GOLF FANATIC. Last year I had a lesson scheduled, but cancelled because we were over scheduled. I'd love to hear someone's personal experience with this!
I've thought about just doing a round of golf..but I'm horrible at it, and it would take up too much time.

Fishing- I hate it. Also horrible at this. I can't bait my own hook. I bought gear and brought it with the 2 of us while camping last year..it was not good, and I won't try it again. Therefore, sadly, kiddo does not get to fish very often unless his uncle or grandfather takes him
What kind of bait is used at Disney?

Last year we rented a bike and rode from WL to FW, loved it! Any recommendations for other good bike rental spots?

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Also, last year kiddo did a Pirate Adventure Cruise.. depending on our schedule I may book this again. He loved it and it gave me an hour to go for a run and get some Christmas shopping done.

I'm looking for new experiences, but don't know of any other than what I've listed. We've already done a carriage ride. It was just OK, a one and done for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rob0519

I can only tell you my experience with the one golf lesson I took. At the time I was only playing a few times a year as we live in a colder climate. There were two people in the lesson me and another guy about 30-35 and he played better and more than me. The instructor handed me a 6 iron watched me hit a few balls, gave me a suggestion or two and spent most of the hour with the other guy. Honestly, a waste of my money. If you can schedule an individual lesson I would go for that, but I would not do a group lesson, even a small one again.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Not exactly a resort activity, in that it will involve park entry, but have you tried Sorcerers at MK? I did this for a couple of mornings with my son when he was about 11/12 and he loved it. Me? I got a little fed up going to and fro trying to find the right portal! Oh, and one day there was a couple in their mid twenties who played about 5 different cards at a time. Someone else though was fed up enough to speak to a cm, who then went over and asked them to play once each before rejoining the queue. Overall though it was good fun, and we didn't do any rides other than magic carpets and treehouse. Maybe 2 to 3 hours, until the sun got too hot (it was July).

Another option would be the Hidden Mickey trail at WL. I believe they have a sheet to use, and have several around the lobby and grounds to look for.

Animal watching on the savannahs at AKL. If you go to Kidani, you can order food and drinks from the Sanaa lounge. You can also take drinks out onto the outlook where there are chairs to sit on, and cultural cms to talk to about the animals and also their home countries.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
I can only tell you my experience with the one golf lesson I took. At the time I was only playing a few times a year as we live in a colder climate. There were two people in the lesson me and another guy about 30-35 and he played better and more than me. The instructor handed me a 6 iron watched me hit a few balls, gave me a suggestion or two and spent most of the hour with the other guy. Honestly, a waste of my money. If you can schedule an individual lesson I would go for that, but I would not do a group lesson, even a small one again.

That's horrible!
I had planned on a private lesson. In 2016 I toyed with the idea of both of us having one..but I know it would distract from my son's. I have Zero Golf Skills...I couldn't even tell you what all the clubs are for beyond the main 3, I've never had an interest in learning. At this point, I'm going to have to learn eventually though.

Where did you play? Is it on the course or just in a generic area?

Not exactly a resort activity, in that it will involve park entry, but have you tried Sorcerers at MK? I did this for a couple of mornings with my son when he was about 11/12 and he loved it. Me? I got a little fed up going to and fro trying to find the right portal! Oh, and one day there was a couple in their mid twenties who played about 5 different cards at a time. Someone else though was fed up enough to speak to a cm, who then went over and asked them to play once each before rejoining the queue. Overall though it was good fun, and we didn't do any rides other than magic carpets and treehouse. Maybe 2 to 3 hours, until the sun got too hot (it was July).

Another option would be the Hidden Mickey trail at WL. I believe they have a sheet to use, and have several around the lobby and grounds to look for.

Animal watching on the savannahs at AKL. If you go to Kidani, you can order food and drinks from the Sanaa lounge. You can also take drinks out onto the outlook where there are chairs to sit on, and cultural cms to talk to about the animals and also their home countries.

We love Sorcerers of the MK! It's actually what we spent most of our time at MVMCP on last year.lol. Definitely plan on doing it again!

We tried the Hidden Mickey Hunt at WL last year. In the main building and the villas. Strangers even joined in to help.. We found a grand total of 4. :( Wow, this thread really makes me sound incompetent at many things..

This is a split stay at GF/AKL. Neither one of us has been on property at AKL before, and I'm finally giving in and trying it. At least one resort day will be here, possibly 2.. I'm excited to experience their activities!

Thank you for the Sanaa Lounge tip.. I am a huge fan of lounges at WDW.. great food and drinks without reservations. I will definitely add that to our plans!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
That's horrible!
I had planned on a private lesson. In 2016 I toyed with the idea of both of us having one..but I know it would distract from my son's. I have Zero Golf Skills...I couldn't even tell you what all the clubs are for beyond the main 3, I've never had an interest in learning. At this point, I'm going to have to learn eventually though.

We love Sorcerers of the MK! It's actually what we spent most of our time at MVMCP on last year.lol. Definitely plan on doing it again!

We tried the Hidden Mickey Hunt at WL last year. In the main building and the villas. Strangers even joined in to help.. We found a grand total of 4. :( Wow, this thread really makes me sound incompetent at many things..

This is a split stay at GF/AKL. Neither one of us has been on property at AKL before, and I'm finally giving in and trying it. At least one resort day will be here, possibly 2.. I'm excited to experience their activities!

Thank you for the Sanaa Lounge tip.. I am a huge fan of lounges at WDW.. great food and drinks without reservations. I will definitely add that to our plans!

If you're staying at AKL, there are loads of activities going on there! Examples that I remember seeing are talks from the cultural cms, drumming, bead crafts (and other craft activities). The pool area at Kidani has the only view of one of the savannahs, where the red river hogs are. There's also a kitchen tour at one of the resorts (there's a small fee for that), can't remember which - sorry! The community hall at Kidani has film nights, instead of movies under the stars, and has free snacks too! Also Kidani has night vision goggles on the outlook, up until about 10pm. Leave enough time for this, as kids tend to hog them! The CMs do their best to persuade them to share..... ;)

As far as I recall, the afternoons had a lot going on, mornings maybe not so much.

Upvote 0

rob0519

That's horrible!

Honestly, I don't remember what course, but we were at a spot behind a clubhouse. I'm sure it's just a practice field next to the course. I did however take several private tennis lessons at the old Tennis Club which was torn down to build BLT. Those were all very good.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
If you're staying at AKL, there are loads of activities going on there! Examples that I remember seeing are talks from the cultural cms, drumming, bead crafts (and other craft activities). The pool area at Kidani has the only view of one of the savannahs, where the red river hogs are. There's also a kitchen tour at one of the resorts (there's a small fee for that), can't remember which - sorry! The community hall at Kidani has film nights, instead of movies under the stars, and has free snacks too! Also Kidani has night vision goggles on the outlook, up until about 10pm. Leave enough time for this, as kids tend to hog them! The CMs do their best to persuade them to share..... ;)

As far as I recall, the afternoons had a lot going on, mornings maybe not so much.

Thank you! I do plan on spending almost an entire day at AKL on one of the days. I went back and forth between Kidani and Jambo, ended up choosing Jambo House bc of the 2 beds. Do you know if we can go to the community room if we aren't staying in that building? We will be going to the pool at Kidani for sure!

Honestly, I don't remember what course, but we were at a spot behind a clubhouse. I'm sure it's just a practice field next to the course. I did however take several private tennis lessons at the old Tennis Club which was torn down to build BLT. Those were all very good.

Thank you! I'm sure the tennis lessons are fun!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom