8 Months of planning
7 Days with a rental car
6 Hotels
5 Boat rides
4 Flight segments
3 Disney park days
2 East coasters
1 Unforgettable vacation

Hello and welcome to my trip report! For those who don't know, here is the essential information:

Me (Bee): 28, opera singer/voice teacher
DW (M): 28, writer/academic administrator
We: grew up in Florida, have visited WDW many times, have been together 10+ years, have been married almost 3 years, now live in NJ just outside of NYC

Dates: August 4-14, 2017
Flights: Southwest, EWR-MDW-SMF and LAX-MDW-EWR
Transportation: Rental car, Lyft, local public transportation
Major locations: Sacramento, Napa Valley, San Francisco, Muir Woods, Sequoia National Forest, Los Angeles, Anaheim
Lodging: 6 different hotels varying from 1-3 nights in each

And here is a link to my PTR: Not our typical Disney trip

I will add the usual disclaimer about us having only smartphone cameras. I am working on uploading all my photos to a third party site which is free and allows me to easily embed them here; however, they only allow 150 uploads per day so it will take some time. All my photos are uploaded and ready to post!

The first six days (August 4-9) we toured various parts of northern and southern California. From August 10-13 we visited Disneyland, including both parks and Downtown Disney. On August 14 we flew home to New Jersey. If you'd like to skip ahead to the Disneyland part of this trip, click here. Otherwise, continue reading for the entire trip report!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 1: Friday, August 4
Travel day

Our day began with a 3:30am alarm (yuck!) so we could get dressed, pack last-minute items, and call a Lyft by 4:00am. I had been off work the day before so I got as much packing as possible done during the day and M and I finished and got into bed at a reasonable hour.

Our flight from Newark to Chicago was scheduled for 5:50am and we arrived at EWR at 4:20am. Apparently Southwest had JUST opened their checkin and bag check lines because we were greeted with this LOVELY sight:

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo2_1280.jpg

That's just the last half or so of the line! There were just as many people in front of these poor folks!

Unfortunately we were stuck waiting as we needed to check our suitcase and this airport doesn't have an express bag drop (no boarding pass printing, just bag checking) like others we've visited.

As the line was barely moving we knew we wouldn't have time to eat anything after TSA and before boarding. So M held our place in line while I ran to the nearby Dunkin Donuts and purchased two veggie egg white flatbreads and a large iced coffee to share.

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Here's the coffee! No food photos, oops.

We finally dropped off the bag around 4:45 and entered the TSA line. We have learned not to expect anything shorter than a 20 minute wait at Newark. The airport is too old and small for the amount of traffic it gets and there's just not enough room inside to open enough screening lines. The SWA area of the terminal is especially small. If EWR wasn't the closest and easiest airport for us to get to, we would never choose to use it. But flying in and out of Newark saves us at least an hour or two of travel time over the next closest option, depending on time of day and traffic, so here we are.

The wait was right at twenty minutes. We seemed to be behind lots of new travellers who were confused about the rules and procedures, as usual. And as usual, something on my body scan showed as suspicious and I had my legs and hips felt up by a lady TSA officer. I swear, I am selected for additional screening EVERY TIME I fly.

By the time we finished the security screening and made it to our gate our flight was already beginning the boarding process. Normally we arrive early enough to have time to sit down and eat and relax before boarding, but not today! It was a good thing we'd eaten some DD before security!

We were both toward the end of Group A. Most of the time we just go to the back of the plane but since we had a short layover coming up we grabbed the first two adjacent seats we could find toward the front. We had phones and an iPad for entertainment. We finished boarding early and were all set for an early departure.

But then...

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo3_1280.jpg

The pilot announced we would be delayed 5-10 minutes due to lightning. The storm overhead was moving quickly, however, and he expected to depart close to on time.

Next up: Will it stop raining? Will we ever get out of Newark?? Will we make our connecting flight??? Will we get to use our Southwest drink coupons????

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
With a title like that? You know I'm IN!! :)
Welcome, @Tuvalu!

Following along:)
Welcome, @susan lees!

Good ol' EWR. My Grandma still lives very nearby in the Ironbound section of Newark.
I'll wave to your Grandma next time we fly!

Following! Can't wait to read all about it. :)
Welcome, @DisneyShe!

Looking forward to this!
Welcome, @fractal!

I'm looking forward to getting more details on your California adventure.
Welcome, @PacNWTigger!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Five minutes passed, then ten minutes, then more....The captain kept assuring us we'd be on the way as soon as possible, but apparently the once quickly-moving storm had slowed down significantly, right over our area. :(

We had a scheduled layover of just over an hour (7:15 to 8:30), but we knew that airlines always pad scheduled flight times in case of delays so landings can be as close to "on time" as possible. So when we FINALLY took off 70 minutes late we still had hope that we would make our next flight. Sure, we wouldn't have time for a bathroom stop, or a snack, or to do anything other than RUN to the next gate.

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo4_1280.jpg

At least our takeoff provided a nice view!

Once the flight began it was uneventful. We weren't in the mood for alcohol just yet (shocking, I know! :p) so I think I just had OJ and M had coffee. We were so stressed I didn't even take photos! To save space we didn't bring any books and I didn't bring any music to learn so we watched HGTV shows on the iPad and I played a game called BallZ on my phone to pass the time. (Don't laugh, it sounds silly but it's really fun once you beat the first 30 levels or so). I also noted that there was an unhappy dog on this flight.

Sometime during the flight I used the Southwest app to check the gate for our next flight so we could be as prepared as possible to get there FAST.

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo5_1280.png

Wait, WHAT?

We were supposed to depart Chicago Midway at 8:30! Without any notification, Southwest had rebooked us on a later NON-DIRECT flight to Sacramento! There was nothing we could do to change it back while still in the air. All we could do was wait. (Note that the timestamp on the screenshot was in EST as my phone was in airplane mode and didn't automatically update, so this was still an hour before the second flight was to begin.)

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Lake Michigan...aka almost to Midway.

We finally landed about 8:15 and, while we knew our chances of making the next flight were slim, we determined we couldn't NOT try to make it. Even if we were stuck in middle seats far away from each other, getting to Sacramento on time was the priority. So we got off the plane as quickly as possible and RAN to the next gate. Our flight was just beginning boarding and our group was up! We scanned our boarding passes and...heard the angry noise of denial. The gate agent said our boarding passes were no longer valid for this flight and sent us to the customer service desk to get rebooked. :(

Next up: Will we ever get to Sacramento??? More DRAMMA!*

*If you don't know, I like to spell "dramma" the Italian way since I'm an opera singer and lots of early operas were billed as a "dramma per musica" (drama in music) before there was an official term "opera." Sometimes I feel like my life is just as full of "dramma" as an opera!!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

There was, of course, a HUGE line at the customer service desk. All the while, we were watching the B group board, then the C group line up...:(

Luckily (?) for us we weren't the only ones in our situation. Another couple from the Newark flight was also trying to board the same flight to Sacramento and rushed up to the desk, skipping the line. The desk agent asked them to wait in line but they quickly explained the situation and the agent understood the urgency of the situation. She type-type-typed on her computer, and handed the passengers new boarding passes for...the original flight! The agent then asked if anyone else was trying to get on this flight and we said we were! We gave her our old boarding passes and waited for what felt like forever as she continued to type-type-type. She handed us new passes and told us to run! We were in the C group but we made it on the flight!!! :D :D :D

We got two aisle seats in the very back of the plane one in front of the other. Obviously I would have preferred to have sat NEXT to my wife instead of in front of her but at least we were close and weren't stuck in middle seats.

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Above the clouds!

The flight attendants brought around big boxes of snacks. Since this flight was about four hours long, they offered a wider variety of snacks including Ritz cream cheese sandwiches, Fritos, cookies, and the usual peanuts and pretzels. Obviously with the stress of nearly missing our flight it was time for an adult beverage! I had a tequila and orange juice and M had a Baileys and coffee. No photos as I was still quite frazzled at this point.

After my tequila and OJ I, surprisingly, slept for a bit. I usually can't fall asleep on planes so it was nice to wake up and realize I had just fallen asleep! I brought my Humidiflyer on this trip, which is a really cool filtering mask that helps keep you from drying out on planes.

After awhile the flight attendants brought around cups of coffee and water, which I gladly accepted! I also played BallZ on my iPad (don't laugh, it's a fun game! I should add that I was introduced to this game on the opera gig I just did as a way to pass the time quietly while waiting backstage between entrances). Another "device" I used on the flight was Earplanes. I usually get terrible pain in my ears from the descent into lower altitudes and it can last all day, but with my Earplanes I had only brief, mild discomfort that subsided as soon as we landed. I highly recommend them to my fellow ear pain sufferers!

Somehow, we landed a few minutes early in Sacramento. Now for the next little bit of dramma. I'd had to place my backpack in a bin about twenty rows in front of me so there was no easy way to get it until almost everyone else had left the plane. The FAs had announced that there were exits in the front AND back of the plane, so after I retrieved my bag we walked back to the back exit. But apparently someone from the ground crew was now doing work in the back and now the exit was blocked. No worries, we had been delayed and slowed down all day so what was a walk all the way to the front?

When we got to the front an airport employee was helping a disabled passenger into a wheelchair and blocking the entire aisle. We're not about to get upset with a disabled person and a person just trying to do their job so we waited patiently. But then a FA noticed we were waiting and got a little snippy with us and said, "You know, you can exit in the back." We politely explained that the FA in the back had sent us up front and she called her colleague via intercom and was MORE than a little snippy with her.

But nothing could get us down! We had made it to our destination and would soon be on our way to our rental car and first hotel!

Unless, of course...our luggage had been sent with the later Sacramento flight instead of the original one??

Next up: Will we ever get our suitcase? Will anything go right on this day?? ARE WE CURSED???

amjt660

Premium Member
Dramma Dramma Dramma

( if you are old enough to remember please use you Marsha Marsha Marsha voice for that last line)

Don't worry
Bee happy

Following along ( would you expect anything less?? ;))

I can honestly say I am looking forward to hearing about every aspect of this trip equally

I will not be using your "go straight to Disneyland"link

Max

bee

Original Poster
I'm here too ! Great title,Yeah!
Welcome, @mcstensrud!

Dramma Dramma Dramma

( if you are old enough to remember please use you Marsha Marsha Marsha voice for that last line)

Don't worry
Bee happy

Following along ( would you expect anything less?? ;))

I can honestly say I am looking forward to hearing about every aspect of this trip equally

I will not be using your "go straight to Disneyland"link

Max
Welcome, @amjt660! Yes, I know the Brady reference :) And I'm looking forward to recounting the entire thing, so I'm glad to have someone reading all the parts! :D

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Along each step of the way, as each mishap occurred, M and I kept repeating these three things. Mantras, if you will:
  1. At least we didn't make any plans for today.
  2. At least we have travel insurance if anything goes terribly wrong.
  3. At least I'm on vacation with you.
We feared that perhaps our luggage had been sent on the later plane. We made our way downstairs to baggage claim. I charged my phone and M watched the carousel, not really expecting to see our bag. We figured if it didn't come now we would just go pick up the rental car, check into our hotel, have lunch, and come back later for the bag. We were on VACATION! Nothing was going to get us down!!

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Bunny sculpture on the way down to baggage claim

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Waiting...

Suddenly I saw M walking toward me...WITH OUR SUITCASE!!! :D :D :D

tumblr_oudyuqiOI61un92rjo10_1280.jpg

IT MADE IT!!! Side note: Look at that adorable Disneyland luggage tag!

We followed the signs to the rental car shuttle and a bus pulled up almost as soon as we arrived at the waiting area.

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Bus!

At the Alamo counter an employee named Christian assisted us. He was quite friendly and noticed our Disneyland luggage tags and asked us all about our trip. We talked Disney World vs. Disneyland and the attractions to come, including Star Wars and Toy Story lands. Though we'd reserved an economy class car, the smallest vehicle available was a small SUV. Christian assured us that we wouldn't be charged for the upgrade and that the car would still get good gas mileage, and soon we were loading everything into:

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

...this Jeep Renegade!

Though we'd hoped for something smaller, the Jeep didn't feel exceptionally large from the inside. And, spoiler alert, a few days later we'd be quite glad to have an SUV! You'll see why!

Some photos from our drive:

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_oudz2sVUFR1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Is this where Sheriffs go when they break the law?? :eek:

Next up: Far less DRAMMA than before! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom