Going with kids from ages 17-3

jensenmom72

Original Poster
We are going with all our kids in June /July from Monday to Sat. We are going as a family from park opening to whenever we need to eat lunch time. Then we are going back to the hotel to swim/nap/get away from the madness :) for at least an hour probably more for the younger 3. Any tips to make our trip "Magical" for all? there is 1 girl and 2 boys older than 12 and 1 girl and 2 boys younger than 12.

Weather_Lady

When my sister and I were 11 and 13, our parents let us roam the Magic Kingdom by ourselves for an afternoon. It was our first big taste of independence (and long before cell phones, so we were truly off the grid)! Their only rule was that we had to stay together. It was so fun and memorable and we still talk about how giddy we felt at the prospect of such freedom, and how grateful we were that we'd earned our parents' trust -- I'd suggest giving the older kids a little time to themselves during "naptime," although they may be surprised to find that they need a nap sometimes, too! :)

popcenturylover

In 09' we took our 8 month old, 15, & 17 year old kids with us. The 2 older ones did alot of exploring on their own. We just said to be sure they stuck together & have a meal or two with us. We also had a reasonable curfew. Next month we are all going back but, with our Grandson(2yrs.) in tow! Can't wait!!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Book character meals, my whole family enjoys them, and let the big kids pick a place to eat they'd enjoy! Have a magical time!

EmmieSue

I agree with the above statements. The free time while the little ones are napping, letting them each pick a place to eat, and character meals! Character meals are great for all ages and they tend to be really yummy.

My addition would be to make sure when reserving fastpasses to not waste them on one age group. Just an example here from our upcoming trip. Instead of booking tower of terror for everyone in our group, we booked that for those that wanted to ride it while the others will be fastpassing the Disney junior show at that time.

Tinkerkelle

17-3 is a big age gap but WDW is for kids of every age, right? :) As above, have a plan of things you want to do as a complete family that everyone will enjoy and then think about splitting up, especially if the older kids want to do rides with height requirements. If you can leave the older ones in the park and they want to, great, but if you can't/don't want to, then they can spend time at the pool leaving a much quieter room for little ones to nap in. Hope you have a fab trip. Enjoy!

StarWarsGirl

I definitely agree with letting the older ones go off by themselves. That way, they can do the bigger stuff if they want, they can stay in the parks instead of being forced to go back to the pool, and it's a safe place for them to experience some independence. And they can always meet back up with you. By the time I was 17, I didn't want to be with my parents 24/7 on vacation (heck, at 20, sometimes I still don't!), and when I was 12, I would have liked to have an older sibling take me around so I don't have to be with my parents (my brother is 13, I'm 20, and we go off on our own all the time). Just some perspective on the age.

Just an FYI, around 3 PM, the pool gets really crowded. Also an FYI, afternoon thunderstorms start at around 3 PM, so you might not get a lot of swim time in. Unless you are planning on doing rope drop (I know a lot of people like this method; I am not getting out of bed before 8 am on vacation) I recommend doing the pool in the morning and heading to the parks in the afternoon.

jensenmom72

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys Keep it coming. :) I am going to allow the older ones to go back if they want. I 'm not set in stone with plans. My 17 yr old wants to ride some rides with her 6 yr old sister so thats why we are going together as a family first

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom