Going to WDW July 27th 2013 and need help!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wow. Well, the French can be rude. Did you try the half roasted chicken? It's my favorite menu item and I get it every time. I also tend to get the young, cute waiters and since I'm a young, cute, 18 year old girl, I get good service wherever I go! lol. We had that happen once in DL. Another party stole our reservation. This could have happened to you.

Every time I'm in there, though, a plate breaks. No idea why, but it's funny.

It probably didn't help that my last name is England. (if you know your history)

I ran restaurants for years, waiters are not assigned based on the youth or cuteness of the girls at the table, though sometimes waiters will trade table tops, any manager worth half their salt nips that practice in the bud very quickly.

I had the escargot (which was ok, snails tasted canned, which isn't unexpected, but canned snails can still be made to shine...I think my primary gripe was that it was obviously precooked and reheated by a stressed kitchen, which then tried to hide the overcooked snails with a garnish of way to much parslay. If I wanted that, I could do it better at my house).

Anyhow, here's my exerpt from my report at the time.

We arrived about 10 minutes early to our Chefs reservation, and I went and got our name on the list. I noted that, unlike the other restaurants we've visited so far, they were using paper and printouts instead of a computer to look up our reservation. The hostess would write your name on the list, and then every few minutes would run the list back to what I assume was the Front of House Manager, who would call you for seating.

I should also mention, they were packed. All of the seats in the entrance were full, and people were camped out on the fountain outside waiting. We grabbed a seat at the fountain as close to the front door as we could so I could hear if our name was called. After 15 - 20 minutes, I became concerned. We hadn't been called, and the Manager's accent was extremely thick (all the accents tonight were thick) and his voice wasn't very loud. I gave the kid my cel phone and she started playing a game, and I moved about 10 feet away, right by the front door. After 30 minutes had elapsed, I was really concerned that I had missed our seating call, so I went back to the hostess.

She couldn't tell me, as she'd already handed off the seating list that had my name on it and was working on a new one. So, she went off to ask the manager, and came back to indicate that yes, our name had been called and we were already seated. I explained that we obviously had not been seated, and asked if we could get back on the list. I wasn't in a rush, so I didn't really mind the extra wait, but I did want to get in.

She went off again, and when she returned, she asked that we follow her. At the entrance to the restaurant, another hostess started to collect our menus and get us ready when the manager walked up, and barged into the conversation. I use this term, because that's exactly what he did. He asked my name, I told him, and he said we had not been seated, and had not been called. By now there were 2 more cast members who had "joined" the conversation, and they all started chattering in French. The interaction ended with the manager obviously chewing them out in french, and then turning to me and, with the fakest polite face I've ever seen, and asked me to sit in the corner (literally...but there were chairs there). I was amused with all of this, thinking to myself about how I've heard about the unintended rudeness of the French, and quietly chuckling that Disney was so detail oriented that they made sure to include that as well!

After a short wait, we were seated behind a pole. Illuminations was about to start up, so I took the pole seat, and gave the kid a good view of the window. I could still easily work around the pole, and if you ever get a chance to snag a window seat on a not crowded night, I can imagine that the view is a lot of fun.

Our waiter was polite, but he carried with a running theme I'd seen so far. All of them have extremely thick accents, and they all speak rather quietly. In addition, I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but they apologized constantly for everything. So much that it started to annoy me.

I could barely understand him, and when he tried to interact with the munchkin, I had to translate everything for her. However, his attitude was fun, and I could tell the restaurant was getting slammed tonight, so even though he was a bit inattentive (my drink went empty several times, and service was very slow...the whole meal took 2 hours), I give it a pass.

When you are on the Dining Plan, Chefs won't let you order off the whole menu. You have a 3 course option, or you can choose an item off the regular menu, but none of the appetizers (except for the soups). You can, however, add whatever you like as long as you are willing to pay for it. I was craving escargot. You don't find snails on american restaurant menus very often, so I opted to pay extra and get that. This meant that I had 2 appetizers, and I chose the lobster bisque for the second. Before I go on, here are translations of what I listed in the summary up top:

Me
Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgogne au beurre persillé (Casserole of Burgundian escargots baked in parsley and garlic butter)
Bisque de homard (Lobster Bisque)
Plat de côte de boeuf au cabernet avec pâtes (Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms)
Fraisier sur coulis de framboise, sorbet fraise (Fresh strawberry and cream cake, raspberry sauce and strawberry sorbet)

Kid
Friand au Fromage (Cheese puff pastry)
Croquette de Boeuf en Brioche (Ground beef steakon a brioche bun, served with French fries...a.k.a. a hamburger)
Choix de Glace ou Sorbet (Choice of Sorbet, she chose Vanilla)

The escargot was very good, but I have had better. I think it needed a bit more garlic and salt. For 12 bucks, I'd do it again. Also, I enjoyed dipping the french bread in the pools of garlic butter and letting it sop up all that heart stopping goodness!

The Lobster Bisque was ok. It was put together well, but nothing noteworthy. In retrospect, I wish I'd done the French Onion instead. The fresh shredded lobster in the middle was a nice touch.

The cheese puff pastry did not interest my kid at all, and I took a few bites as well. It was ok, but I could see why she didn't care for it. It could have used a touch more cheese, and a tad less puff pastry. The salad greens that accompanied it though were very good, and the kid finished them (this from a kid who normally doesn't do salads).

The beef short ribs are a signature dish of the restaurant, and I was eagerly anticipating them. I am sad to report disappointment. The dish had several high points. The short ribs were perfectly cooked fork tender. The noodles were amazing, and they could have just given me them tossed in butter and I would have been like a pig in the mud (with the gut to match!). The onions were unnoticable, but the mushrooms had great texture and flavour.

So, you may be wondering what ruined the dish for me? The sauce. It was bitter and undersalted. It had an aftertaste, almost as if it hadn't reduced enough. The dish wasn't bad, but hardly what I had expected, and I wouldn't order it again. I only ate half, which concerned my waiter, but I didn't complain because, since so many elements of the dish were nailed, and I had nothing to compare it against, this may just be exactly how the dish is supposed to taste. It not agreeing with my palette is not a reason to complain, in my book. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it.

The kid's frenchburger was good, and the fries were fantastic (first thin fries I've seen at Disney, and they were gone quickly. She had to chase me away from "taste testing" them!) They were so good that the kid didn't even want the ketchup, and instead used it on her burger.

On to dessert. Her vanilla sorbet was fantastic, but my dessert is the best I've had so far on the trip, and the kid and I ended up splitting it. The dessert is a wash of texture, temperature and taste variations. The cake is very soft, with a whipped heavy cream layered to add to the pillowy texture. This is broken up with fresh quartered strawberries, so you end up with a wonderful crunch with every bite. The cake also sticks very well to the strawberries, so if you aim for them, you end up with a great bite. There's a raspberry sauce on the side that adds some wonderful tang, and the sorbet was delicious. They also had white chocolate shavings under the sorbet, which was a wonderful touch. Though I wasn't overly impressed so far, this dessert is now on my "must do" list for future visits. I wonder if they'd just let me in for dessert and coffee!

I was a bit upset we didn't see Remy, but I should have done some more research before making the ADR. I had assumed (wrongly) that Remy would be a consistent feature, like a character breakfast. He isn't. Rather, he does a few shows a day, and the last one was around 5:30p.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hey, there! So many decisions, but one of my favorite things to do is eat and drink around the World at Epcot...yum! It's fun to try things out of your comfort zone! Also, on our last trip in October, we played mini golf for the first time at Fantasia Gardens. It's a fun way to relax.
A magical welcome to you! I love to eat and drink my way around EPCOT also!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Figgy, you must be joking about Norway being excellent...and Morrocco...but okay, Chefs de France is my favorite restaurant on property...
I said counter service! And yes they are on our must do list every trip! We also always schedule a lunch with Remy! I'm going to need a month long stay just to get to all my must do places soon! LOL

StarWarsGirl

I ran restaurants for years, waiters are not assigned based on the youth or cuteness of the girls at the table, though sometimes waiters will trade table tops, any manager worth half their salt nips that practice in the bud very quickly.
I know that, but somehow I get the cute waiters. Lol. Or I just run into the cute guys and there's some flirting going on. Plus a lot of the cast members are there on the exchange program, so they're young. The last time I was there the guy was flirting.

StarWarsGirl

We arrived about 10 minutes early to our Chefs reservation, and I went and got our name on the list. I noted that, unlike the other restaurants we've visited so far, they were using paper and printouts instead of a computer to look up our reservation. The hostess would write your name on the list, and then every few minutes would run the list back to what I assume was the Front of House Manager, who would call you for seating.

I should also mention, they were packed. All of the seats in the entrance were full, and people were camped out on the fountain outside waiting. We grabbed a seat at the fountain as close to the front door as we could so I could hear if our name was called. After 15 - 20 minutes, I became concerned. We hadn't been called, and the Manager's accent was extremely thick (all the accents tonight were thick) and his voice wasn't very loud. I gave the kid my cel phone and she started playing a game, and I moved about 10 feet away, right by the front door. After 30 minutes had elapsed, I was really concerned that I had missed our seating call, so I went back to the hostess.

She couldn't tell me, as she'd already handed off the seating list that had my name on it and was working on a new one. So, she went off to ask the manager, and came back to indicate that yes, our name had been called and we were already seated. I explained that we obviously had not been seated, and asked if we could get back on the list. I wasn't in a rush, so I didn't really mind the extra wait, but I did want to get in.

She went off again, and when she returned, she asked that we follow her. At the entrance to the restaurant, another hostess started to collect our menus and get us ready when the manager walked up, and barged into the conversation. I use this term, because that's exactly what he did. He asked my name, I told him, and he said we had not been seated, and had not been called. By now there were 2 more cast members who had "joined" the conversation, and they all started chattering in French. The interaction ended with the manager obviously chewing them out in french, and then turning to me and, with the fakest polite face I've ever seen, and asked me to sit in the corner (literally...but there were chairs there). I was amused with all of this, thinking to myself about how I've heard about the unintended rudeness of the French, and quietly chuckling that Disney was so detail oriented that they made sure to include that as well!

It sounds like another party took your reservation. With the accents being so thick (which they can't help) you have to be pretty vigilant as far as listening for your name to be called.

After a short wait, we were seated behind a pole. Illuminations was about to start up, so I took the pole seat, and gave the kid a good view of the window. I could still easily work around the pole, and if you ever get a chance to snag a window seat on a not crowded night, I can imagine that the view is a lot of fun.

Our waiter was polite, but he carried with a running theme I'd seen so far. All of them have extremely thick accents, and they all speak rather quietly. In addition, I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but they apologized constantly for everything. So much that it started to annoy me.

Go easy on them. They could probably see that you were annoyed. In Japan, they thank you for everything. "Thank you for your patience." "Thank you for waiting." "Thank you for your order." But it's cultural. As far as the accents go, they tend to have heavier accents. Their natural way of speaking is different from ours. Plus, they aren't starting until about late elementary school or early middle school. And they're not learning from Americans usually. They're learning from British or other French. It's not their fault, and since we can't speak their language, we have to do our best with their accents. The talking quietly is cultural. As Americans (and for any of the British in the crowd) we tend to talk at arms length with other people. In many other countries (France included) they talk much more closely and, as a result, more quietly. Just ask them to speak up. I had a friend who was from India, and for about the first year that we were friends, I would tell her, "Back up." And she'd say, "But then how can you hear me?" "Talk loudly." She nearly knocked me off a bench at lunch once because I had backed up and she was getting closer.

I could barely understand him, and when he tried to interact with the munchkin, I had to translate everything for her. However, his attitude was fun, and I could tell the restaurant was getting slammed tonight, so even though he was a bit inattentive (my drink went empty several times, and service was very slow...the whole meal took 2 hours), I give it a pass.

When you are on the Dining Plan, Chefs won't let you order off the whole menu. You have a 3 course option, or you can choose an item off the regular menu, but none of the appetizers (except for the soups). You can, however, add whatever you like as long as you are willing to pay for it. I was craving escargot. You don't find snails on american restaurant menus very often, so I opted to pay extra and get that. This meant that I had 2 appetizers, and I chose the lobster bisque for the second. Before I go on, here are translations of what I listed in the summary up top:

Me
Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgogne au beurre persillé (Casserole of Burgundian escargots baked in parsley and garlic butter)
Bisque de homard (Lobster Bisque)
Plat de côte de boeuf au cabernet avec pâtes (Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms)
Fraisier sur coulis de framboise, sorbet fraise (Fresh strawberry and cream cake, raspberry sauce and strawberry sorbet)

Kid
Friand au Fromage (Cheese puff pastry)
Croquette de Boeuf en Brioche (Ground beef steakon a brioche bun, served with French fries...a.k.a. a hamburger)
Choix de Glace ou Sorbet (Choice of Sorbet, she chose Vanilla)

The escargot was very good, but I have had better. I think it needed a bit more garlic and salt. For 12 bucks, I'd do it again. Also, I enjoyed dipping the french bread in the pools of garlic butter and letting it sop up all that heart stopping goodness!

The Lobster Bisque was ok. It was put together well, but nothing noteworthy. In retrospect, I wish I'd done the French Onion instead. The fresh shredded lobster in the middle was a nice touch.

The cheese puff pastry did not interest my kid at all, and I took a few bites as well. It was ok, but I could see why she didn't care for it. It could have used a touch more cheese, and a tad less puff pastry. The salad greens that accompanied it though were very good, and the kid finished them (this from a kid who normally doesn't do salads).

The kids appetizers are nothing special. We aren't usually on the dining plan, so we just tell them to skip it for my little brother. Next time, get the Onion soup. It's fantastic. My dad likes the Escargot. I won't try it. Something about snails...

The beef short ribs are a signature dish of the restaurant, and I was eagerly anticipating them. I am sad to report disappointment. The dish had several high points. The short ribs were perfectly cooked fork tender. The noodles were amazing, and they could have just given me them tossed in butter and I would have been like a pig in the mud (with the gut to match!). The onions were unnoticable, but the mushrooms had great texture and flavour.

So, you may be wondering what ruined the dish for me? The sauce. It was bitter and undersalted. It had an aftertaste, almost as if it hadn't reduced enough. The dish wasn't bad, but hardly what I had expected, and I wouldn't order it again. I only ate half, which concerned my waiter, but I didn't complain because, since so many elements of the dish were nailed, and I had nothing to compare it against, this may just be exactly how the dish is supposed to taste. It not agreeing with my palette is not a reason to complain, in my book. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it.

The kid's frenchburger was good, and the fries were fantastic (first thin fries I've seen at Disney, and they were gone quickly. She had to chase me away from "taste testing" them!) They were so good that the kid didn't even want the ketchup, and instead used it on her burger.

You might enjoy the Half of an all natural roasted chicken more. The sauce is a bit richer. And normally, it comes with potatoes, but I like the fries in the sauce, so I always substitute.
On to dessert. Her vanilla sorbet was fantastic, but my dessert is the best I've had so far on the trip, and the kid and I ended up splitting it. The dessert is a wash of texture, temperature and taste variations. The cake is very soft, with a whipped heavy cream layered to add to the pillowy texture. This is broken up with fresh quartered strawberries, so you end up with a wonderful crunch with every bite. The cake also sticks very well to the strawberries, so if you aim for them, you end up with a great bite. There's a raspberry sauce on the side that adds some wonderful tang, and the sorbet was delicious. They also had white chocolate shavings under the sorbet, which was a wonderful touch. Though I wasn't overly impressed so far, this dessert is now on my "must do" list for future visits. I wonder if they'd just let me in for dessert and coffee!

I was a bit upset we didn't see Remy, but I should have done some more research before making the ADR. I had assumed (wrongly) that Remy would be a consistent feature, like a character breakfast. He isn't. Rather, he does a few shows a day, and the last one was around 5:30p.
Remy only comes around for lunch and early dinners. Don't know why. If you get an early dinner, you'll usually see him. [/QUOTE]

I've never been fond of the desserts there. Okay, I should clarify: I can't eat strawberries (allergic) and I hate chocolate (those who like chocolate tell me that the puff pastries with chocolate sauce dumped on top are great. I consider them stomach ache hell.) I always order the creme brule. Which is fine; I like creme brule, but nothing spectacular or different than I would get at another restaurant. But I'm not a big dessert person, so that didn't bother me.

You should go back. It sounds like you enjoyed the meal in spite of the service. You should try to go earlier. The service slows down later, and since you were eating after park closing, they really got their "No rush" attitude. They also get busy during Illuminations. Earlier, the restaurant tends to be less busy. Try for a 4:30 or 5 pm reservation. And just order something different as your main course. I already mentioned the chicken, which you may enjoy more.

You want good service? Go to Teppan Edo in Japan. Your glass will be half full and all of the sudden a new one appears. The Japanese in general are just very polite. The food there is really good too.

sjbeachgirl

A magical welcome to you! I love to eat and drink my way around EPCOT also!
Hey, Figgy, thanks for the welcome! I just discovered this site. I'm loving this forum.

Epcot is my favorite! This past Oct was our first time doing the Food n Wine festival...makes the eating and drinking even MORE fun!

lmrybak1

Original Poster
we will only have two days in the parks, maybe a third but thats not 100% yet :(, we have decided to not eat in parks for meals but snacks. any ideas on that?

Figgy1

Premium Member
I might rethink that as there some excellent options in the parks. If you are in EPCOT try Tangerine Cafe they have platters big enough to split or go to Sunshine seasons>

lmrybak1

Original Poster
we would LOVE to do sit downs and we have tried that on our last trip but we have some picky eaters and it just doesn't end well. we like the food in Epcot the most, especially the sandwiches by soarin. me and my boyfriend are celebrating a mix of our birthdays and doing our anniversary at disney while everyone relaxes so we do want to attempt the sit down while the picky people aren't around :) what would you say for a place to eat that wouldn't have cilantro, nuts or milk? i dont want to take an epi pen out while eating

Figgy1

Premium Member
we would LOVE to do sit downs and we have tried that on our last trip but we have some picky eaters and it just doesn't end well. we like the food in Epcot the most, especially the sandwiches by soarin. me and my boyfriend are celebrating a mix of our birthdays and doing our anniversary at disney while everyone relaxes so we do want to attempt the sit down while the picky people aren't around :) what would you say for a place to eat that wouldn't have cilantro, nuts or milk? i dont want to take an epi pen out while eating
When you make ADRs call them in and Disney dining is great for people with allergies .When you call them in the CM will make a note on your reservation and the chef at the restaurant will make someting for you free of allergens!!!!!!!!!!! That's part of th reason I love dining at Disney my ds has allergies and they ALWAYS accomadate him.

lmrybak1

Original Poster
yea we ate somewhere and my mom did'nt know there was cilantro in something and she ordered it for me, thats one way to end a vacation! im going to look into the restaurants now and give them a call, thanks for that tidbit

Figgy1

Premium Member
yea we ate somewhere and my mom did'nt know there was cilantro in something and she ordered it for me, thats one way to end a vacation! im going to look into the restaurants now and give them a call, thanks for that tidbit
Most counter service places have ingredient lists behind the counter. Just ask the cast member to let you see it and let them know you have allergies!

lilclerk

I'd also argue against sit down meals just for the sake of time. Don't get me wrong, table service dining in Disney can be great, but if you're only going for 2-3 days in the middle of summer, I wouldn't want to use up my limited time waiting for/eating a meal.

lmrybak1

Original Poster
How long are you staying for?

Interesting stuff:
Disneyquest: Indoor interactive theme park. Separate admission, but you can easily spend 1/2 day here, if not more. Located int Downtown Disney.
Have you considered doing a water park? I love Blizzard Beach, but Typhoon Lagoon is great too.
Do you like mini golf? If so, check out either Fantasia gardens or Winter Wonderland. Winter Wonderland is located near Blizzard Beach and has bus service. Fantasia gardens you can get to from one of the Epcot resorts. I like Fantasia Gardens better. I find it more challenging.
Pick a Pearl is still there! You can also do it at Japan at Epcot and (unless I'm crazy) over at a little stand outside of Yacht Club.

Must sees at the parks:
Magic Kingdom: Triple mountains, Space, Thunder, Splash. It's a Small World (classic), new Little Mermaid attraction, plus double Dumbos in a new location!
Epcot: Soarin', Spaceship Earth, World Showcase.
Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours (more than once! also my favorite ride!) Toy Story Mania (get a Fastpass as soon as you walk in the park!) Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt show, Fantasmic!
Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Safaris, Dinosaur.

Hope this helps! If you need anything else, feel free to ask!

We have done disney quest was when I was younger, it was a great way to kill time while waiting out a storm! Me and my family have done all the parks and the water parks before (in 2005 I think), this trip we are doing the parks for a couple days and then a day at Typhoon Lagoon. I REALLY want to do mini golf depending on the weather and if we get bored on days we aren't in the park. Pick-A-Pearl is my absolute must do (at all of them if possible, it's my 21st birthday present to myself) while on the other hand all my boyfriend wants to do is anything Toy Story related. Since we are staying at the campground we plan on going as early as possible to the EMH in the morning, doing a lunch break and then heading back to or going to another park in the evening. If you can think of anything at all about fun parts of the parks or things like that let me know because I NEED to make this a great trip, my boyfriend got lost when he was younger at Epcot and now I feel like I have to make him love Disney again so we can come a ton in the future. :) If I can think of any questions at all I will let you know!

StarWarsGirl

We have done disney quest was when I was younger, it was a great way to kill time while waiting out a storm! Me and my family have done all the parks and the water parks before (in 2005 I think), this trip we are doing the parks for a couple days and then a day at Typhoon Lagoon. I REALLY want to do mini golf depending on the weather and if we get bored on days we aren't in the park. Pick-A-Pearl is my absolute must do (at all of them if possible, it's my 21st birthday present to myself) while on the other hand all my boyfriend wants to do is anything Toy Story related. Since we are staying at the campground we plan on going as early as possible to the EMH in the morning, doing a lunch break and then heading back to or going to another park in the evening. If you can think of anything at all about fun parts of the parks or things like that let me know because I NEED to make this a great trip, my boyfriend got lost when he was younger at Epcot and now I feel like I have to make him love Disney again so we can come a ton in the future. :) If I can think of any questions at all I will let you know!
Okay, so your boyfriend loves Toy Story. I have a couple of "must-dos". One is Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. That's in MK in Tomorrowland. It's been there for over a decade, so you might already be familiar with it. Another must-do is Toy Story Mania. It's a 3D shooting games in DHS. BUT! You will have to get there early and either 1. Jump in line right away as soon as you get there for morning EMH or 2. Grab Fastpasses as soon as you walk in the park. You can even do both. You can also opt to skip Fantasmic and ride it at the end of the day. Whatever you want to do. There is also a Pizza Planet (yes it has pizza and arcade games) at DHS if you want to check that out for lunch.

If you want to try mini golf, you should go in the morning. There will be mornings where there is no EMH, so you can opt for one of those days. Normally I would say check your in-room TV, but unless you're staying in one of the cabins, that's not an option, so check with a Cast Member for hours. If you go in the morning, you can avoid the thunderstorms which usually start in the afternoon (anywhere from 12-3). There might be days where it does not rain at all, and there might be days when it storms all afternoon. Just really hard to tell even from the weather reports (though checking the weather is still usually a good idea).

Be sure to account for travel time in your plans. Once you get back to your resort, you'll have to wait for another bus to take you to your section. That is unless you want to walk even more. Plan on at least an hour for travel time, maybe even more if you get stuck waiting for a bus. This is especially true for AK, which is a good 15-20 minutes on the bus from the MK resort area. So your "lunch break" plan might take a good two to three hours. Just be aware of that.

Aww, getting lost? My brother got lost one trip in MK. Thankfully it was only 20 minutes. According to him though, he knew exactly where he was and the rest of us were lost, lol. Scary nonetheless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom