Going to WDW July 27th 2013 and need help!

lmrybak1

Original Poster
Hi everyone! Me and my family are traveling to Florida at the end of July (I know it's one of the worst times to go :() and I am in charge of planning... I need help trying to figure out what sorts of things to do. We have all been there before and this trip we are staying at the campgrounds since we are taking our puppy with us. What I need the most help with is: what food should we try, exciting things to do and must do things. While we have been before we don't all remember it and I need your guys awesome help! Also on my first trip to Disney we did Pick-a-Pearl in Downtown, do they still have it and are there any other awesomely unique things like that to do? Thank you for your help!

ExtinctJenn

I have so so many answers to this but I'm going to keep it simple...

1) Food: Do the cupcake crawl (try as many of the special cupcakes found across property at the parks and resorts)
2) Things to Do: Do the Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot. It's only $18 a person and a fantastic thing to do if you've done WDW before and are looking for a way to add a new experience!

lmrybak1

Original Poster
I have so so many answers to this but I'm going to keep it simple...

1) Food: Do the cupcake crawl (try as many of the special cupcakes found across property at the parks and resorts)
2) Things to Do: Do the Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot. It's only $18 a person and a fantastic thing to do if you've done WDW before and are looking for a way to add a new experience!

thank you! what exactly is the behind the seeds tour?

ExtinctJenn

thank you! what exactly is the behind the seeds tour?
If you've ever ridden "Living with the Land" (the boat ride in the Land pavilion at Epcot) you'll remember the greenhouses and the fishery. Behind the Seeds is a tour you take behind the scenes there. At first you think "ok touring a greenhouse sounds boring" but even my 6-year old was in awe and loved it. They make it informative and fun (kind of like the "old" edutainment days of EPCOT). Plus how can you beat watching the boats go through and knowing you're behind the scenes of an attraction right? :D

Figgy1

Premium Member
Make dining reservations for all the sit downs you want to do YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some places are already booked! For cs Sunshine Seasons, France, Norway and Morroco are all Excellent. At MK Pecos Bills, Cosmic Rays and Columbia Harbor House are your best bets! Make a list of what you have to see and do those early. ROPE DROP be at the park at LEAST 30 minutes prior to official opening you will get so much more done that way! By the way so glad you have joined us here! Behind the Seeds is the best value for a tour! New things Star Tours is now 3D and different every time you ride it! Fantasy Land has expanded, Test Track was refurbed! Now relax and have a magical time once you make dining reservations!!!!! Stay away from Hollywood and Vile!

KatMaria

Look up Dining Reservations and book them before they all get booked. If you have not eaten at Columbia Harbor House at MK, try it out. I happen to adore it and go there all the time and it tends to not be as packed as other restaurants. Visit the new Fantasyland/Storybook Circus either EMH if your at a Disney hotel or at rope drop, try to get on the new LM ride! Try one of the tours at Disney, there are so many options: Milestones, Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek etc. And have fun and enjoy! Drink lots of water, it is going to be hot in July!
Oh you should also bring water bottles and fill them up during the day, lowers the cost of actually buying water every day!

Todd L

Hi everyone! Me and my family are traveling to Florida at the end of July (I know it's one of the worst times to go :() and I am in charge of planning... I need help trying to figure out what sorts of things to do. We have all been there before and this trip we are staying at the campgrounds since we are taking our puppy with us. What I need the most help with is: what food should we try, exciting things to do and must do things. While we have been before we don't all remember it and I need your guys awesome help! Also on my first trip to Disney we did Pick-a-Pearl in Downtown, do they still have it and are there any other awesomely unique things like that to do? Thank you for your help!
We Did the Wishes Dessert party a Few years back with extended family In Early July and It was Really great and Id do it again in a second!!

Todd L

Look up Dining Reservations and book them before they all get booked. If you have not eaten at Columbia Harbor House at MK, try it out. I happen to adore it and go there all the time and it tends to not be as packed as other restaurants. Visit the new Fantasyland/Storybook Circus either EMH if your at a Disney hotel or at rope drop, try to get on the new LM ride! Try one of the tours at Disney, there are so many options: Milestones, Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek etc. And have fun and enjoy! Drink lots of water, it is going to be hot in July!
Oh you should also bring water bottles and fill them up during the day, lowers the cost of actually buying water every day!
Had a Great Tuna Sandwich There last year and am Dying to have another!!

Todd L

Btw, Welcome to Wdwmagic!!

lmrybak1

Original Poster
thank you everybody! you guys are being super helpful, i plan on wearing my bookbag and having water bottles and small snacks like granola bars. i am so excited!!

sjbeachgirl

Hey, there! So many decisions, but one of my favorite things to do is eat and drink around the World at Epcot...yum! It's fun to try things out of your comfort zone! Also, on our last trip in October, we played mini golf for the first time at Fantasia Gardens. It's a fun way to relax.

sjbeachgirl

Also, the Segwey Tour of Epcot is pretty cool too!

StarWarsGirl

Make dining reservations for all the sit downs you want to do YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some places are already booked! For cs Sunshine Seasons, France, Norway and Morroco are all Excellent. At MK Pecos Bills, Cosmic Rays and Columbia Harbor House are your best bets! Make a list of what you have to see and do those early. ROPE DROP be at the park at LEAST 30 minutes prior to official opening you will get so much more done that way! By the way so glad you have joined us here! Behind the Seeds is the best value for a tour! New things Star Tours is now 3D and different every time you ride it! Fantasy Land has expanded, Test Track was refurbed! Now relax and have a magical time once you make dining reservations!!!!! Stay away from Hollywood and Vile!
Figgy, you must be joking about Norway being excellent...and Morrocco...but okay, Chefs de France is my favorite restaurant on property...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Figgy, you must be joking about Norway being excellent...and Morrocco...but okay, Chefs de France is my favorite restaurant on property...

Hah! Well, I would beg to differ. Chefs de France, where they lost my ADR because they are not yet tied into the Disney ADR system (even Le Cellier is!)...then, after a 30 minute wait, I got concerned and after approaching the flustered hostess, she called over a snooty manager who insisted my party of 2 had already been seated. When I informed him that obviously I had not been seated, he quite rudely argued with a few employees publicly on the floor in French right in front of me, then asked me to sit in the corner (literally...go sit in that corner, the stools off the the left as you enter)...

5 or so minutes later I was seated, behind a post. The food was mediocre, the restaurant overcrowded, and my waiter, while very nice, nearly impossible (like most of the staff) to understand. I would rather he have just spoken to me in French, I would have picked up on it faster (I grew up in Germany, and can bumble through French, but not fluent by any means)...

It was a horrible experience which I noted in my trip report as "Well, Disney pays so much attention to detail, they even included the legendary disorganization, arrogance and rudeness of the French in the pavilion."

I will not be back anytime soon.

Funny how experiences can differ.

StarWarsGirl

How long are you staying for?

Restaurants (sit down):
Magic Kingdom: Be Our Guest if you can get it. If you can, YOU MUST YOU MUST YOU MUST!!!! Tony's is usually good but is hit or miss. I usually recommend the surrounding resort area. Kona Cafe at the Polynesian, the Wave at the Contemporary, any of the ones at Grand Floridian.
Epcot: Never had a bad meal at Teppan Edo or Chefs de France. La Hacienda is good for authentic Mexican cuisine (this is no chipotle). I like Le Cellier, but it's expensive and some have disagreed with me on this one. I like San Angel Inn for more authentic Mexican cuisine. Members of my party disagree. Member of my party like Rose and Crown. I hate it. Except for the chips, those are good. Resort area: Yachtsman steakhouse at Yacht Club. Expensive but always good. Cape May Cafe. Buffet, really good.
Hollywood Studios: Never had a bad meal at Prime Time Cafe. 50's style, home-cooked comfort food. Try the fried chicken. Mama Melrose's is usually good, but again, it can be hit or miss. Sci Fi Cafe is good for lunch. Don't do it for dinner.
Animal Kingdom: I can't really recommend Yak and Yeti or Tusker House. Neither are that good. Check out the Rainforest cafe right outside the park or hop a bus over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and try Boma's. It's a buffet and it's excellent. Never had a bad meal there. You may also want to park hop over to Epcot that night and eat over there.

Quick service:
Magic Kingdom: Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (Tomorrowland), Tortuga Tavern (Adventureland), Be Our Guest (Fantasyland, check lines first!) Columbia Harbour House (Liberty Square).
Epcot: Any of the countries are good (though usually American Adventure is just...plain, but good for kids), so pick what kind of ethnic food you want. The Land if you're hungry and in Future World. They also have some healthier options.
Hollywood Studios: This park has the worst food. Backlot Express tends to be decent. Studio Catering is decent too. We usually like to do a sit down lunch at Sci Fi here. Pizza Planet always smells really good, but my dad hates pizza, so we never go there.
Animal Kingdom: Pizzafari (If I can talk my dad into it) or Flame Tree BBQ
Since you're over at Fort Wilderness, I also recommend Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge.

Interesting stuff:
Disneyquest: Indoor interactive theme park. Separate admission, but you can easily spend 1/2 day here, if not more. Located int Downtown Disney.
Have you considered doing a water park? I love Blizzard Beach, but Typhoon Lagoon is great too.
Do you like mini golf? If so, check out either Fantasia gardens or Winter Wonderland. Winter Wonderland is located near Blizzard Beach and has bus service. Fantasia gardens you can get to from one of the Epcot resorts. I like Fantasia Gardens better. I find it more challenging.
Pick a Pearl is still there! You can also do it at Japan at Epcot and (unless I'm crazy) over at a little stand outside of Yacht Club.

Must sees at the parks:
Magic Kingdom: Triple mountains, Space, Thunder, Splash. It's a Small World (classic), new Little Mermaid attraction, plus double Dumbos in a new location!
Epcot: Soarin', Spaceship Earth, World Showcase.
Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours (more than once! also my favorite ride!) Toy Story Mania (get a Fastpass as soon as you walk in the park!) Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt show, Fantasmic!
Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Safaris, Dinosaur.

Hope this helps! If you need anything else, feel free to ask!

StarWarsGirl

Hah! Well, I would beg to differ. Chefs de France, where they lost my ADR because they are not yet tied into the Disney ADR system (even Le Cellier is!)...then, after a 30 minute wait, I got concerned and after approaching the flustered hostess, she called over a snooty manager who insisted my party of 2 had already been seated. When I informed him that obviously I had not been seated, he quite rudely argued with a few employees publicly on the floor in French right in front of me, then asked me to sit in the corner (literally...go sit in that corner, the stools off the the left as you enter)...

5 or so minutes later I was seated, behind a post. The food was mediocre, the restaurant overcrowded, and my waiter, while very nice, nearly impossible (like most of the staff) to understand. I would rather he have just spoken to me in French, I would have picked up on it faster (I grew up in Germany, and can bumble through French, but not fluent by any means)...

It was a horrible experience which I noted in my trip report as "Well, Disney pays so much attention to detail, they even included the legendary disorganization, arrogance and rudeness of the French in the pavilion."

I will not be back anytime soon.

Funny how experiences can differ.
Wow. Well, the French can be rude. Did you try the half roasted chicken? It's my favorite menu item and I get it every time. I also tend to get the young, cute waiters and since I'm a young, cute, 18 year old girl, I get good service wherever I go! lol. We had that happen once in DL. Another party stole our reservation. This could have happened to you.

Every time I'm in there, though, a plate breaks. No idea why, but it's funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom