Pre-Trip Going to Disney with my Mommy and Daddy

It was July 10, 1980-something. My family had just moved to Atlanta, Ga. and my parents decided to buy Walt Disney World Annual Passes for the whole the family. That decision sparked a major turning point in our families history. During the course of that first year as Annual Pass holders, we became a Disney Family. And not just an average Disney family that visited once a year or every few years. We averaged 2-4 trips per year. As the years passed and my brother, sisters and myself have grown older, we have never stopped being a Disney Family. In the dozens and dozens of trips we have taken, there has been practically every variation of which family members went. Sometimes its the whole family, others have been me joining my sister or brothers family, sometimes just my wife and I, and many of the grandparents, (my parents) visiting with the younglings. We had done Disney every which way possible, .......or at least thats what I thought.

The course of events leading up to this trip started out a bit frustrating, but ended up being very exciting, and something I had never considered as an option. After several changes in the trip plans of who would be going and when, it ended up being my Mother, Father, and myself. In all the years of visiting, I have never had a trip with just myself and my parents. So before I get to the details of how this came about, I shall introduce the cast of the trip. Please pardon the quality of the pictures of my parents as my mom used her cell phone to take pictures of actual printed photos in her photo album. She apparently did not deem my PTR worthy of taking the time to scan the photos and email them, lol. So here is the cast:

Who:

Me:
Keith, a 30-something Disney nerd

20151020_123923.jpg

Ok, so thats not me, but its a good example of how much I act like a child when Im in WDW.
Here is an actual photo of me which shows my other "Disney Side", which is the self proclaimed Mayor of Drunkey Town.
20151019_120608.jpg

For my parents photos, I will post pictures of them at Disney from waaaaay back in the day in an effort to establish their street cred in the Disney fan community, hahaha. And also just because the outfits are too awesome not too!

My Mom: Debbie

Mom Disney.jpg

She is rockin' that faux snakeskin bathing suit tucked into those jorts. And yes, my baby sister was a little more daring and went with the bathing suit sans jorts.

My Father: Paul

Dad.Disney.jpg

If I could replicate that outfit (my dads), I would totally do it. This very well may be my endeavour leading up to our trip. And no, I will not make any effort to recreate the midriff and high cut shorts I am wearing in this photo, although I feel I did pull it off quite well back then.

Here is a more recent photo of my parents together at Disney. They are in the second row behind my sister and her son in the first row:

Mom.Dad.Splash.jpg

Where: 5 days at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House!!!

When: Shortly after Pandora opens at AK!!!

So there you go. Some of you know me from my past trip reports and now you know my awesome parents as well!

The idea for this trip was born when my wife and her mother planned a two week trip to visit Italy this fall. Yes, the real Italy, not the pavilion at Epcot. I wont be able to join them and my wife is basically using all her vacation time for the year. Ive always talked about taking a solo trip to WDW so my wife suggested that I actually do it this year since we cant go together. If your wife gives you a free pass to travel and agrees to take care of the house and animals while you are gone, YOU TAKE IT!!! So I did. A few days into my planning, my sister calls me to tell me that she booked a Disney Cruise for her family. I told her I was planning a solo trip and within minutes the plans changed to me joining them for a few days at WDW before they set sail on the Fantasy. I checked availability, (thanks @lostpro9het for the help) went back and forth with my sister on which resort, and after several days we decided and I was all ready to book the room when my sister calls to tell me they decided to visit Cape Canaveral instead.

So back to the original plan of a solo trip. Then I had the idea that bringing my youngest nephew along might be a fun adventure (he is four years old). After my family stopped laughing hysterically at the idea of me (I dont have children) being able to handle a four year old at Disney, they convinced me that it might not be the pie in the sky dream of a perfect trip I was envisioning. After my bruised ego healed, I thought asking my parents to tag along would ease the worries of my nephew joining me. I called my Dad, pitched the idea, and he said he would think about it and call me back. A few days later I get a call with a counter offer, (my Dad is an attorney so negotiating is always a factor, lol). My parents said they would like to go to Disney, but without any young children. Just me and them. My Mom explained how they have always enjoyed the pictures and stories my wife and I have of our trips together and how we take it slow and mostly eat, drink and just soak in the atmosphere and they have never had a trip like that for themselves. It has always been with us kids, or the grand kids. I had never realized that. My parents moved Heaven and Earth for us kids to have an amazing childhood and if anybody deserves a few days to relax at WDW, it is them.

Granted, they wont exactly be alone since I am going, but we are planning to enjoy the best of both worlds. I will take a day or two to have my solo trip time while my parents do whatever their hearts desire. We will mix in random times to meet up and enjoy some time together as well. I am trying to convince my Mom to join the forums and participate in this PTR as well so hopefully she will and it will add another perspective. We are still in the early stages of planning so I will update this as we make progress. More to come soon!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Not sure why you're asking what other people think about the secret nachos ... it's nachos ... of course you should do it!! (I really like nachos ;)). And perhaps I've lived in an expensive city for way too long, because $13 per person sounds like a reasonable price.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure why you're asking what other people think about the secret nachos ... it's nachos ... of course you should do it!! (I really like nachos ;)). And perhaps I've lived in an expensive city for way too long, because $13 per person sounds like a reasonable price.
Do it!! Sounds perfect for a big group.
Oh ya, we are absolutely going to do it. I would have done it solo if the family said no. ( I heart nachos)

fractal

So I just found out that you can order "secret nachos" at Pecos Bill. Nachos Rio Grande. Has anybody ever tried this?

Apparently , you need to arrive between 3-6 pm and let a CM know you want to order the secret nachos. IT serves appx 8 people and you get a private table with western style plates and pitchers of drinks. They bring the HUGE plate of nachos out in what looks like a wagon wheel style serving cart with sauces. The CM's all put on their cowboy hats and bring out the nachos. It is $90.

While $90 seems insane for nachos, it does have the "experience" factor as well, and a private table. I would prefer to pay for this over a dessert party. I just texted my family and sent them the video for it and they loved it. There will be 7 of us, so it basically breaks down to about $13 per person. Thats not too bad. Here is the video I saw. What do you guys think? I cant wait!

very cool! I'll have to remember this. :hungry:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So I just found out that you can order "secret nachos" at Pecos Bill. Nachos Rio Grande. Has anybody ever tried this?

Apparently , you need to arrive between 3-6 pm and let a CM know you want to order the secret nachos. IT serves appx 8 people and you get a private table with western style plates and pitchers of drinks. They bring the HUGE plate of nachos out in what looks like a wagon wheel style serving cart with sauces. The CM's all put on their cowboy hats and bring out the nachos. It is $90.

While $90 seems insane for nachos, it does have the "experience" factor as well, and a private table. I would prefer to pay for this over a dessert party. I just texted my family and sent them the video for it and they loved it. There will be 7 of us, so it basically breaks down to about $13 per person. Thats not too bad. Here is the video I saw. What do you guys think? I cant wait!

This is a light-hearted, fun idea for a "crowd" such as you have, traveling with you. I think people will get a kick out of the entire experience. Another nice perk is that they reserve a table for you, just for this package. As you said, when you divide up the $90 by the people in your group, it's actually reasonable, considering what you're getting.

I say, go for it!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
My mom sent me a text to say how excited she is getting now that we are less than 50 days away. She also texted with , "can we stay longer pleeeeease". I assumed she was being wishful so I replied, "Ya I know, its never long enough". She immediately responded with, "no, im serious, lets add a day to the beginning of the trip". Sounded good to me, so I checked and there was only a 1 br villa available at Jambo for the day we needed, (Saturday). We contemplated staying somewhere else for the extra day, (on property), and a few hours later I checked back and there was now a standard room at Jambo available!!!

Our 5 day trip is now 6! (*Young Annakin Skywalker voice), Whoopeeee!!!

My sister was able to book their room at Jambo as well and my brothers daughter will be joining them. My dad has no clue they will all be going. He still thinks it is just him, my mother and I. Our plan to surprise him has been slightly revised. After we check into our room and are settled, we are having a Mickey birthday cake delivered to the room. After it arrives, my sister will call my dad to say that her boys want to wish him happy birthday and that they sent a present to the room as well. This is where Im hoping AKL will help us out a bit. We need a CM to deliver a birthday card to the room and if they are willing help, we need them to place a mousekeeping cart close to the door. When the CM delivers the card, they will explain there is a gift as well and it should be arriving any moment. That will be the cue for my nephews to jump out from behind the cart and yell surprise!, but my niece will wait a few moments and jump out after they do. Hopefully the resort will help us out with the plan.

amjt660

Premium Member
Very sneaky plan to surprise your Dad
I support 100% and I am sure the resort will help you out (maybe not exactly the way you suggest - but they will help)

Hopefully you can capture your Dad's reaction on video

Max

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Very sneaky plan to surprise your Dad
I support 100% and I am sure the resort will help you out (maybe not exactly the way you suggest - but they will help)

Hopefully you can capture your Dad's reaction on video

Max
When I proposed to my wife at WDW, I was absolutely blown away by the amount of help Disney provided. I had been in contact with the concierge service for several weeks leading up to our arrival and we even had to completely switch the entire plan last minute due to construction. They had multiple CM's at MK help me pull it off. I am hoping that having a maids cart in the hallway should not be too much to ask.

I will be calling the concierge at AKL today so Ill report back with what they say.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When I proposed to my wife at WDW, I was absolutely blown away by the amount of help Disney provided. I had been in contact with the concierge service for several weeks leading up to our arrival and we even had to completely switch the entire plan last minute due to construction. They had multiple CM's at MK help me pull it off. I am hoping that having a maids cart in the hallway should not be too much to ask.

I will be calling the concierge at AKL today so Ill report back with what they say.

OMG . . . a "classic" -- I'll never forget your TR about the big proposal - TWICE!! :hilarious: I still laugh over that one. One of the funniest TRs I've ever read here. :happy:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Quick update as we are getting close to single digits!!!!

ADR at Biergarten for day one. Since we are staying DVC, the room may not be ready until 4 pm. We should arrive by 1 pm-ish so if the room isnt ready, we can head to Epcot and have a big lunch then go back to room and rest for awhile before heading to Pandora! We want to see it for the first time at night.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
just got real!!!

mb1.jpg

mb2.jpg

Somehow my fathers MB came with mine and my moms band is on the way. I chose a fitting name for my band. My Dad went with Hook. I really want to buy one of the special edition bands that make a sound effect at the touch points. Ive red they sell them at various spots around the resort. Hopefully there will be some cool ones. The new Pirates of The Caribean ones looks pretty cool, but I really want a Star Wars one. We shall see.
T

Last edited by a moderator:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
So do people still do the single digit dance? Well, either way, Im starting to celebrate. Got my second MB in since we had to make multiple reservations thru DVC to link the entire week. For this band, I chose to honor a classic show.......

band.jpg

I have about 15 MB's and only one has my actual name on it, and that is only because I never changed it before it shipped. The family also decided to have some t-shirts made....ya, we are gonna be that family walking around with custom shirts. My mom found a shirt online that said "Powered by Wine and Pixie Dust". So instead of ordering it, we decided we would each design a shirt that says "Powered by" ...and then fill in it what we want. For example, mine will say, "Powered by World Showcase Beer and Star Wars". They should be printed up in the next few days. Ill post some pics. Now, I have to go train some dogs!!! Have a great weekend everybody!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Happy to hear that your trip is coming very shortly now
We leave in less than 72 hours and I have basically accomplished ZERO things on my list of prepping and packing and buying a few new pairs of shorts/shirts, lol. As usual, I will be zooming around town today and tomorrow getting everything I need. That is kinda the way I like it though. It gets me in that Disney zone even before we leave since I will be thinking in an "Orlando state of mind" while I consider which clothes will be the most comfortable in the Florida weather.

Even as I sit here sipping my coffee from my Kylo Ren mug, I am considering where I should go shopping or if I need a new pair of sunglasses or sneakers. I dont know why, but I always feel like I need new shoes for Disney. Does anybody else My wife works for Chanel and she gets a great discount on the major brands, (Gucci, Prada, YSL, etc) who all make very good sunglasses and I asked her to find me a good pair so I could protect my eyes and look cool at the same time, lol. . She laughed and then refused my request because she knows I will either leave them on a table somewhere or break them somehow. I jokingly told her if she wouldnt help, I would just buy the cheapest pair at the local gas station and my eyes would not be well protected. She told me that was probly a good idea. Haha, I think she is just jealous.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Trip packing update:

I made a lot of progress yesterday.......I managed to find a pair of my favorite Nike socks! I didnt even put them in a suitcase. I just left them on the bed. Aaaaaand thats about all I got done, lol. I had several pups in training that went back home yesterday so it ate a large chunk of the afternoon. Hoping to get some serious shopping done today. I want some new sandals so Im trying to go get my feet done at the pedicure place as well. Ive got 48 hours! Clock is ticking:cool:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is an actual update. We changed the plan to surprise my dad. He does not know mys sister, her two boys and my niece will be there. I am amazed the young ones managed to keep it a secret. My sister made a blunder at a family party the other day but my dad didnt realize anything. But any way. My sister wound up switching resorts to Beach Club because the kids really waned to be able to have Stormalong Bay. My dads favorite restaurant is Cape May Cafe. Ive been checking MDE everyday, several times a day and finally get a reservation for early dinner. So we will have the CM (waiter/waitress) tell my dad (who will be wearing his birthday pin), that they now have a "special" character for birthday celebrations at Dinner (since they dont do character dinner). The CM will ask if he prefers a "villain" or a "princess". If he says villain, we will have my nephews come out first and then the CM can say "you get a princess as well", then my niece comes out. And vice versa if he chooses princess.

We figured this may be easier since my sis will be at BC already and save them a trip to AK plus my dad is always happy at Cape May so its a win win and then we can all hit Epcot after.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom