Pre-Trip Going to Disney with my Mommy and Daddy

It was July 10, 1980-something. My family had just moved to Atlanta, Ga. and my parents decided to buy Walt Disney World Annual Passes for the whole the family. That decision sparked a major turning point in our families history. During the course of that first year as Annual Pass holders, we became a Disney Family. And not just an average Disney family that visited once a year or every few years. We averaged 2-4 trips per year. As the years passed and my brother, sisters and myself have grown older, we have never stopped being a Disney Family. In the dozens and dozens of trips we have taken, there has been practically every variation of which family members went. Sometimes its the whole family, others have been me joining my sister or brothers family, sometimes just my wife and I, and many of the grandparents, (my parents) visiting with the younglings. We had done Disney every which way possible, .......or at least thats what I thought.

The course of events leading up to this trip started out a bit frustrating, but ended up being very exciting, and something I had never considered as an option. After several changes in the trip plans of who would be going and when, it ended up being my Mother, Father, and myself. In all the years of visiting, I have never had a trip with just myself and my parents. So before I get to the details of how this came about, I shall introduce the cast of the trip. Please pardon the quality of the pictures of my parents as my mom used her cell phone to take pictures of actual printed photos in her photo album. She apparently did not deem my PTR worthy of taking the time to scan the photos and email them, lol. So here is the cast:

Who:

Me:
Keith, a 30-something Disney nerd

20151020_123923.jpg

Ok, so thats not me, but its a good example of how much I act like a child when Im in WDW.
Here is an actual photo of me which shows my other "Disney Side", which is the self proclaimed Mayor of Drunkey Town.
20151019_120608.jpg

For my parents photos, I will post pictures of them at Disney from waaaaay back in the day in an effort to establish their street cred in the Disney fan community, hahaha. And also just because the outfits are too awesome not too!

My Mom: Debbie

Mom Disney.jpg

She is rockin' that faux snakeskin bathing suit tucked into those jorts. And yes, my baby sister was a little more daring and went with the bathing suit sans jorts.

My Father: Paul

Dad.Disney.jpg

If I could replicate that outfit (my dads), I would totally do it. This very well may be my endeavour leading up to our trip. And no, I will not make any effort to recreate the midriff and high cut shorts I am wearing in this photo, although I feel I did pull it off quite well back then.

Here is a more recent photo of my parents together at Disney. They are in the second row behind my sister and her son in the first row:

Mom.Dad.Splash.jpg

Where: 5 days at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House!!!

When: Shortly after Pandora opens at AK!!!

So there you go. Some of you know me from my past trip reports and now you know my awesome parents as well!

The idea for this trip was born when my wife and her mother planned a two week trip to visit Italy this fall. Yes, the real Italy, not the pavilion at Epcot. I wont be able to join them and my wife is basically using all her vacation time for the year. Ive always talked about taking a solo trip to WDW so my wife suggested that I actually do it this year since we cant go together. If your wife gives you a free pass to travel and agrees to take care of the house and animals while you are gone, YOU TAKE IT!!! So I did. A few days into my planning, my sister calls me to tell me that she booked a Disney Cruise for her family. I told her I was planning a solo trip and within minutes the plans changed to me joining them for a few days at WDW before they set sail on the Fantasy. I checked availability, (thanks @lostpro9het for the help) went back and forth with my sister on which resort, and after several days we decided and I was all ready to book the room when my sister calls to tell me they decided to visit Cape Canaveral instead.

So back to the original plan of a solo trip. Then I had the idea that bringing my youngest nephew along might be a fun adventure (he is four years old). After my family stopped laughing hysterically at the idea of me (I dont have children) being able to handle a four year old at Disney, they convinced me that it might not be the pie in the sky dream of a perfect trip I was envisioning. After my bruised ego healed, I thought asking my parents to tag along would ease the worries of my nephew joining me. I called my Dad, pitched the idea, and he said he would think about it and call me back. A few days later I get a call with a counter offer, (my Dad is an attorney so negotiating is always a factor, lol). My parents said they would like to go to Disney, but without any young children. Just me and them. My Mom explained how they have always enjoyed the pictures and stories my wife and I have of our trips together and how we take it slow and mostly eat, drink and just soak in the atmosphere and they have never had a trip like that for themselves. It has always been with us kids, or the grand kids. I had never realized that. My parents moved Heaven and Earth for us kids to have an amazing childhood and if anybody deserves a few days to relax at WDW, it is them.

Granted, they wont exactly be alone since I am going, but we are planning to enjoy the best of both worlds. I will take a day or two to have my solo trip time while my parents do whatever their hearts desire. We will mix in random times to meet up and enjoy some time together as well. I am trying to convince my Mom to join the forums and participate in this PTR as well so hopefully she will and it will add another perspective. We are still in the early stages of planning so I will update this as we make progress. More to come soon!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

amjt660

Premium Member
Since I will have two days to myself while my parents are out doing their own thing, Ive been creating a list of places I have not had a beer or snack/appetizer at yet. My father does not drink beer anymore which saddens me because we had some really good times (or at least the ones I can remember) boozing it up around the parks.

So now my Dad will have the occasional glass of wine with dinner, but thats about it. My mom wants to do Sake bombs at Japan and Tequila flight at La Hacienda, so that will be fun. But for the days on my own Im compiling a list of solo drinking spots. The top three spots as of now are:

1. Nomad Lounge

2. Trader Sams

3. Abracadabar

Ive seen videos and read all about Trader Sams but if anybody has been to Nomad Lounge or Abracadabar, Id love to hear about it. Ill definitely be doing a bit of a live trip report so fear not, there will be plenty of beer pictures. Ill probly bring the resort room phone with me for company, haha
Nomad lounge is great
I have a couple of posts in my Disney Month TR
Even with Pandora not open the outside deck with the comfy couches and the unique cocktails makes it a relaxing and fun experience.

Enjoy!

Max

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is the point in the Pre Trip Report (like so many others) where I announce there are changes. Im not sure if we have ever had a Disney trip in which the plans remained the same from the beginning. This one is not a major change, but almost was.

My Mother calls me on Friday to point out that our check out date is my Fathers birthday. I felt a bit like an idiot (well, I am an idiot, lets face it, but hey,the beer helps) for not realizing it. We decided that instead of my Dad spending his birthday in the car for 6-7 hours, that we would just add an extra day so we could not only move it, but shake it, and also celebrate it, on my dads b-day. Speaking of which,....I will definitely be looking forward to having a few beers on the monorail then go to MK at night to see how odd Move It Shake it Celebrate it looks in the dark.

We decided to add a day and when checking the DVC website, it showed 4 days in a row available for Beach Club!!!!! Thats rare, especially this close to the dates and for the summer. While the reason we planned for AKL was mostly due to Pandora, it was also because there was no availability at BC or BWV. I figured it would be best to phone my parents and ask if they would care if we switched resorts. They are excited about AKL as they have never actually stayed there, just ate and visited our room when we have stayed there. But I also know they love the BW resorts. I called them each and got no answer. I made the executive decision to book it. It took about two minutes for me to try and reach my parents and by the time I got back to booking it, it was GONE! I was slightly sad, but not that much. With my visions dashed of stumbling around World Showcase nightly in a drunken daze, I mustered up the strength to check availability for AKL and luckily there was a room available for the extra day. So the good news is that we have extended the trip by one day and will plan something special for my Dad, and I wouldnt consider it bad news that we missed out on BC, but now I will be waiting to see if another block of days open and if so, I will take it. So while its not bad news, I now have the bug to stay at BC or BW. If it doesnt happen, I will be just as excited for AKL though.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Another slight change of plans. Ill keep it brief so @Tuvalu cant burn me again for being long winded:D. My sister and her boys, (and possibly her husband) may be joining us now. The original idea of this trip was for me to meet my sisters family at the end of this month, (March) for a few days at WDW before they set sail on a Disney Cruise (The Wonder, I think. I could be wrong. Im still on my first cup of coffee). They decided to visit Cape Canaveral for a few days instead, so thats when my parents and I planned this "Adults only" trip. So here we are a few weeks later and it seems to be a family trip now, which is fine by me because the beer still tastes the same and Im sure I can get my sister to buy me a few rounds here and there.

So here is the possibly updated cast for the trip:

My sister and her two boys:
IMG_3610.JPG

Yours truly (with my nephews)
IMG_3611.JPG

Here is a more recent picture of my parents (at a Braves game last year)

braves.fam.jpg

And here is my parents with all the grandkids (except one) and my sisters husband way in the background (who may join us):
brad.jpg

My brother in law is not a big WDW fan but he and I have had a lot of fun when we visited together sine he is a beer drinker also. Since my Dad does not drink much anymore, it will be nice if he joins the trip. It will be fun also to have everybody there for my dads birthday. We are looking into something special to do so if anyone has any suggestions for a 65th birthday idea at WDW, let me know. Its time for me to go train some dogs, so Have a great day everybody!!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm sure there's plenty of good ideas that other can suggest as well, but I was just thinking that with a crowd like you're having (multiple age groups in your family) for your dad's birthday--how about something crazy and fun like the Hoop de Doo Review over at Fort Wilderness. (You could even let a CM know it's his birthday, so that at some point during the show, they could "announce" it to the audience--he'd get lots of "happy birthdays" from other guests there as well.) Might be fun for all, but I don't know your family and their particular preferences.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
It is a great feeling to get Disney mail when you have trip planned. I was in the yard spraying for weeds on Friday and my parents pulled up to my house. A few minutes later, the mail lady pulled in and had the Pandora announcement. It was great that my parents were there. It was not pertaining to our specific trip but we were excited nonetheless.

Pandora.2.jpg

Pandora.1.jpg

We were very pleased to see that EMH at AK is until 1 am. It is gong to be AMAZING to be in Animal Kingdom that late!!!! I was a bit bummed we missed out on the BCV rooms a few weeks ago but this has me excited to be at AKL.

My mom cracks me up. After we opened it and read it. She exclaimed how she couldnt wait to get home and check the mail to see if hers had arrived. I laughed and asked why it would matter since she knows what is in it. She said, "because its mine and I wanna open it!", LOL. I completely understood her feelings. Her and my father have been making some dining plans which ill post soon. I will most likely be winging it each day and posting a little bit of a "live" TR most likely from Dawa bar with my resort room phone as my companion. :D

Since we will be celebrating my dads 65th birthday my mother and I have been planning a "surprise" each day for my dad. I have been looking at the Disney Floral shop that has gifts sent to your room (thanks, @hakunamatata for your 2007 post:cool:). So for day one, after we check in and my parents are touring the resort, we will have one of these sent to the room (havent decided which one yet). My dad has a sweet tooth, FYI

option 1: "Surprise your loved one with the sweet taste of this gift. Ten Disney chocolate bars make up this adorable offering. A pair of Mickey Mouse birthday ears top off the arrangement, along with a trio of swirl pops adding to the Disney magic of this wondEARful celebration."
Dads.bday1.jpg

Option 2: "Celebrate your loved one’s birthday, Disney style with a Mickey Mouse birthday cake celebration! A cake, balloons and even a “Happy Birthday” tray are presented with this magical birthday offering. Indulge in your choice of a decadent chocolate cake or a mouthwatering vanilla cake, each topped with two pairs of chocolate Mickey ears for an extra touch of Disney magic"
dadsbday.2.jpg

And Option 3: "
The lucky family who receives this collection of goodies will exclaim, “Wow! Is that for us?” Everything a hungry family needs to enjoy some down-time in their resort room, or to pack for energy while enjoying the parks! The Disney Family Celebration has something for everyone, and the collapsible cooler can be easily packed to enjoy time and again after they return home."
dadsbday.3.jpg

I like the third one since there are a lot of goodies that will last a few days. Odd that they put a bottle of soda in there. Gimme more treats!!!
spacer01.gif

sheriffwoody

I don't know why I'm just now finding this post! Sounds like such a fun trip.

I was hoping there is some type.of magic show or maybe the waiters/waitresses do magic. I have yet to see it in any videos or online reviews

We tried this place, and I was "meh" about it. It's nothing special, but it does look cool.

Can't wait to read about your reaction to Pandora! I still haven't seen the movie, but I may try to watch it before I go.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know why I'm just now finding this post! Sounds like such a fun trip.

We tried this place, and I was "meh" about it. It's nothing special, but it does look cool.

Can't wait to read about your reaction to Pandora! I still haven't seen the movie, but I may try to watch it before I go.
Ya, a few other people have same review. I'll still give it a whirl. And yes, Pandora looks awesome. I saw the movie years ago and will watch it again before we go as a refresh

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
So the first day my dad will get the gift basket. We are planning on giving him a gift each morning when he wakes up. I get up early at Disney (6 am ish) Sonia will be able to set it up each morning. My dad is a heavy sleeper. I could light a fire cracker in the room and he would not wake up. Nothing major, just fun gifts to wake up to.

He recently got a Porsche that he LOVES more than me probly, so we may get him a specialty key chain for it and and other random gifts like that up until his actual birthday and then we will give the big gifts.

We are most excited about my sister and her boys meeting us down there on our second day. My father is unaware of this and we are keeping it secret. The plan is to have my nephew call his phone and tell him they are having a gift delivered to the room. A few minutes later there will be a knock on the door and when he opens it, there will be an envelope on the ground. It will have Instructions to look down the hallway. When he does, my nephew will jump out!

Hopefully it works out. We may have to adjust depending on where our room is located. It shouldn't be too hard to pull off. I am going to contact the concierge at AKL to see if there is anything they can do to make it a bit more magical.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
The surprises for your dad sound like they are so much fun to plan! Just a heads up: if you go with option two, they'll have to substitute the balloons with something else - no balloons allowed at AKL because of the animals.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't even think about that. I'll just remove that one from the options. Planning the gifts has indeed added an element of fun. Especially being his 65th. We keep telling each other to keep it simple but we will most likely go waaaaay overboard. Especially my sister.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
LOL - I often say the same thing about keeping that sort of thing simple, but think about it - he's probably gone way overboard for you guys when you were young, so now's the time to return the favor. And I can't remember if anyone's mentioned it, but make sure you ask for a birthday button at the front desk and make him wear it. Not only cast members but other guests will wish him happy birthday (I always do when I see them).

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Option 4: an envelope with a reservation to a Disney tour experience. The memories > The sugar high...
Ive already signed him up for Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique to get a full Princess make over. But seriously, I believe my mother is planning on booking them the Wanyama Safari Dinner package. My father would not be into any of the other VIP park touring packages or experiences. The only one he would have liked would be the Richard Petty experience. He is an attorney and his hobby is tinkering with his cars (a 1977 BMW 2002, 1995 VW Golf III). His Porsche is newer and requires little or no work. Him and I are very similar in regards to how we enjoy WDW. Nice and slow, soaking in the atmosphere. It is less about riding attractions or having VIP access to anything. Not sure how accurate it is or if it depends on which guide you get, but Ive heard most of the tour guides are not any more knowledgeable than what you can learn on your own (from Disney books, or internet). Have you ever done any of them? (the tours, not the guides, lolololol)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
LOL - I often say the same thing about keeping that sort of thing simple, but think about it - he's probably gone way overboard for you guys when you were young, so now's the time to return the favor. And I can't remember if anyone's mentioned it, but make sure you ask for a birthday button at the front desk and make him wear it. Not only cast members but other guests will wish him happy birthday (I always do when I see them).
He still goes over board for us kids to this day. Im excited now that this tripped has somewhat turned into "Dads birthday trip", although he has no idea we are planning anything aside from a nice dinner on his birthday. And he will definitely be wearing a birthday pin:)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Behind the Seeds tour, did it twice and it is cheap and fun.
My mother has ALWAYS had a nice garden and my father could care less about the subject of plants, seeds or hydroponics, ....Boom, roasted
Wild Africa Trek, did it twice and its AWESOME.
He would enjoy this the most which is why my mom is booking the Safari dining package, ...Boom, roasted
Epcot Aqua Seas Tour, did it twice and, come on, you swim in Epcot's tank!!!
He had a leg operation not too long ago and aside from sitting in a hot tub or pool, he would not be able to swim too well, ...Boom, roasted

lostpro9het

He would enjoy this the most which is why my mom is booking the Safari dining package, ...Boom Roasted
He would get to feed and get close to animals WHILE also getting to eat lunch on the safari. Boom roasted.

He had a leg operation not too long ago and aside from sitting in a hot tub or pool, he would not be able to swim too well, ...Boom, roasted
They strap you into flotation equipment so you float on the surface, no swimming at all... Boom roasted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom