Pre-Trip Going to Disney with my Mommy and Daddy

It was July 10, 1980-something. My family had just moved to Atlanta, Ga. and my parents decided to buy Walt Disney World Annual Passes for the whole the family. That decision sparked a major turning point in our families history. During the course of that first year as Annual Pass holders, we became a Disney Family. And not just an average Disney family that visited once a year or every few years. We averaged 2-4 trips per year. As the years passed and my brother, sisters and myself have grown older, we have never stopped being a Disney Family. In the dozens and dozens of trips we have taken, there has been practically every variation of which family members went. Sometimes its the whole family, others have been me joining my sister or brothers family, sometimes just my wife and I, and many of the grandparents, (my parents) visiting with the younglings. We had done Disney every which way possible, .......or at least thats what I thought.

The course of events leading up to this trip started out a bit frustrating, but ended up being very exciting, and something I had never considered as an option. After several changes in the trip plans of who would be going and when, it ended up being my Mother, Father, and myself. In all the years of visiting, I have never had a trip with just myself and my parents. So before I get to the details of how this came about, I shall introduce the cast of the trip. Please pardon the quality of the pictures of my parents as my mom used her cell phone to take pictures of actual printed photos in her photo album. She apparently did not deem my PTR worthy of taking the time to scan the photos and email them, lol. So here is the cast:

Who:

Me:
Keith, a 30-something Disney nerd

20151020_123923.jpg

Ok, so thats not me, but its a good example of how much I act like a child when Im in WDW.
Here is an actual photo of me which shows my other "Disney Side", which is the self proclaimed Mayor of Drunkey Town.
20151019_120608.jpg

For my parents photos, I will post pictures of them at Disney from waaaaay back in the day in an effort to establish their street cred in the Disney fan community, hahaha. And also just because the outfits are too awesome not too!

My Mom: Debbie

Mom Disney.jpg

She is rockin' that faux snakeskin bathing suit tucked into those jorts. And yes, my baby sister was a little more daring and went with the bathing suit sans jorts.

My Father: Paul

Dad.Disney.jpg

If I could replicate that outfit (my dads), I would totally do it. This very well may be my endeavour leading up to our trip. And no, I will not make any effort to recreate the midriff and high cut shorts I am wearing in this photo, although I feel I did pull it off quite well back then.

Here is a more recent photo of my parents together at Disney. They are in the second row behind my sister and her son in the first row:

Mom.Dad.Splash.jpg

Where: 5 days at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House!!!

When: Shortly after Pandora opens at AK!!!

So there you go. Some of you know me from my past trip reports and now you know my awesome parents as well!

The idea for this trip was born when my wife and her mother planned a two week trip to visit Italy this fall. Yes, the real Italy, not the pavilion at Epcot. I wont be able to join them and my wife is basically using all her vacation time for the year. Ive always talked about taking a solo trip to WDW so my wife suggested that I actually do it this year since we cant go together. If your wife gives you a free pass to travel and agrees to take care of the house and animals while you are gone, YOU TAKE IT!!! So I did. A few days into my planning, my sister calls me to tell me that she booked a Disney Cruise for her family. I told her I was planning a solo trip and within minutes the plans changed to me joining them for a few days at WDW before they set sail on the Fantasy. I checked availability, (thanks @lostpro9het for the help) went back and forth with my sister on which resort, and after several days we decided and I was all ready to book the room when my sister calls to tell me they decided to visit Cape Canaveral instead.

So back to the original plan of a solo trip. Then I had the idea that bringing my youngest nephew along might be a fun adventure (he is four years old). After my family stopped laughing hysterically at the idea of me (I dont have children) being able to handle a four year old at Disney, they convinced me that it might not be the pie in the sky dream of a perfect trip I was envisioning. After my bruised ego healed, I thought asking my parents to tag along would ease the worries of my nephew joining me. I called my Dad, pitched the idea, and he said he would think about it and call me back. A few days later I get a call with a counter offer, (my Dad is an attorney so negotiating is always a factor, lol). My parents said they would like to go to Disney, but without any young children. Just me and them. My Mom explained how they have always enjoyed the pictures and stories my wife and I have of our trips together and how we take it slow and mostly eat, drink and just soak in the atmosphere and they have never had a trip like that for themselves. It has always been with us kids, or the grand kids. I had never realized that. My parents moved Heaven and Earth for us kids to have an amazing childhood and if anybody deserves a few days to relax at WDW, it is them.

Granted, they wont exactly be alone since I am going, but we are planning to enjoy the best of both worlds. I will take a day or two to have my solo trip time while my parents do whatever their hearts desire. We will mix in random times to meet up and enjoy some time together as well. I am trying to convince my Mom to join the forums and participate in this PTR as well so hopefully she will and it will add another perspective. We are still in the early stages of planning so I will update this as we make progress. More to come soon!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

MySmallWorldof4

I can only stay in News and Rumors for a short period of time. I tend to get beat down over there with all my happiness and cheer.

Right there with you. You can get really depressed in News and Rumors. Trip Reports and Planning are like a burst of sunshine on a horrid winters day.

Never saw Avatar either. I remember sitting in a preview of it with my kids right before Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. All I thought of was "why would they preview this before a kids movie"? Looked kind of creepy to me. It actually happened to be on tv a couple of days ago and my husband and I contemplated watching it. Didn't happen. Watched something on the DVR instead. Could have possibly been "The Goldbergs/farbs".

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
Never saw Avatar. Knew in advance I'd hate it. Have no expectations for Pandora but am going in with an appreciation for the cool Disney details I know will be there. Just considering it a different kind of Fantasyland. While I may not "get" the movie references or hidden images, it won't prevent me from enjoying (or hating, should it trigger motion sickness) the attractions there.

That's a good attitude to have. I have never seen Avatar either, but the way you're going to go about it is a good way to think.

gdisneyfans

Most of my allotted time on these forums is spent clashing with the ridiculous brand advocates in the News and Rumors section. It is like a never ending battle with a hydra. But here, in the Trip Reports forums, it is so peaceful and calm, like a quiet morning stroll around your Disney resort with a good cup of coffee and birds are chirping with the faint sound of leaf blowers from the landscapers in the distance as the sun rises. The News and Rumors is like a crowded night in the hub at MK with strollers being slammed into the back of your ankles as parents jockey for position to see the show and some kid has a dirty diaper which permeates the heavy, humid Florida air and now your double scoop chocolate fudge ice cream no longer looks that tasty. But I love both for what they offer.

That being said, the last few days have been really enjoyable catching back up on other peoples reports. I know it may seem selfish to spend more time here only when I am planning a trip, but someone has fight the good fight in the mud pit known as News and Rumors, lol. I am being a tad over dramatic, but only in an effort to add some flare to this PTR.:D:cool:

Now back to the trip planning. Once the plans changed and it was my parents and I, we discussed if we would rather catch the tail end of Food and Wine or wait for June and Pandora would be open (fingers crossed it wont be RoL part 2 with delays up the whazoo). We considered the weather as it will be better in May and my Mom loves F&G Festival, as do I do since it is basically Food and Wine Festival 2.0 -- June is more hot, humid and crowded, but in the end we figured it would be nice to try something new with Pandora and since we are going a few weeks after the opening, hopefully they will work out any inks by then.
We chose AKL because it is obviously close to AK but more so because my parents have never stayed there. They have eaten there before and toured the resort and they really liked it. Im excited for them to get to experience it in a new way and have 5 whole days there. They asked me if they need to watch Avatar to be able to enjoy Pandora at AK. I was kind of on the fence with my answer. On one hand, I feel Disney has designed it so you can enjoy it even if you havent seen the movie, but I also feared that if they watch it and dont care for it (i didnt think it was that great), it would possibly affect how they view Pandora. I gave them my opinion of the good the bad and the ugly. Time will tell if they watch, but it most likely wont be anytime soon because m wife and I got them to start watching Schitts Creek (on Netflix) and they are binge watching it now.

My mom sent some more crazy 80s pictures so I will post them later today so everyone can enjoy and laugh at my crazy family. Thanks everyone for following along and please feel free to comment on your thoughts and opinions on AKL, and Pandora and if your looking forward to seeing it or will be down there for the opening.
Love the title of your PTR and the photos from the 80's are priceless! I can't wait to hear more:happy:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I pocket dialed my mom yesterday and when she returned the call I told her it was an accident and then we immediately went into talking about the trip. Her and my father are really excited about AKL so she was asking me questions about the restaurants. My wife and I have eaten at Boma but not Jiko or Sanaa. I used my lack of experience for the two spots as a reason for her to join the forums and read trip reports to get info from others. If anybody would like to offer any advice or suggestions, they are welcome to and I will pass it along.

Ive got my sights set on Nomad Lounge for this upcoming trip. I told my mom how Tiffins and RoL might be a good option for her and dad and she loved the idea. She was unaware of Tiffins so Im sure she will call today and tell me all about the video reviews they watched of it yesterday. Wife and I watched a video review of Nomad Lounge which then turned into watching Joe Rohde "Imagineer Tour" of Nomad, which then led to another Disney video of Pandora, and another, and then my wife paused it and said, "ok, I cant watch anymore". I thought she was getting bored, but she actually was getting the fever for Disney, hahaha! Normally I would feel bad for her, but her and her mother are going to Italy for over 2 weeks, so yeah, I dont feel bad. They are doing one of the Rick Steves small group guided tours and then spending a few days on their own.

I have a few more 80s and 90s pics my mom sent (photos of photos). Enjoy

dad.dis.jpg
pretty sure this one is early 90s.

Mom.KidsDisney.jpg

My mom and her jorts.....

mgm.jpg

Celeb sighting! David Cassidy in the drop top Pontiac! I LOVE seeing that MGM logo (on the car)

momdad.jpg

My parents on a more recent trip (circa 5 years ago)

mon.dis.jpg

This one is definitely 80s. My older sister at Japan Pavilion. I wanna say he was making origami , but hey, I was like 5 years old so if anybody knows, chime in. I do know this, that is one bad a$$ outfit he is wearing!!!!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
A little backstory of my personal life. A little over a year and a half ago, I set out on a journey to do what Ive always wanted to since I was a child, which is work with animals (K-9 training and behaviorism to be specific). After a long time of planning and setting aside enough capitol for the ups and downs of starting a new business, I finally pulled the trigger. It was absolutely terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. All the worries of bringing in new clients, how to advertise, questioning myself and if I was ready all weighed heavily upon me, but I did not let the fear outweigh my determination and passion to succeed.

I interned and trained with some of the best Master Trainers in the south and I was seriously blessed that one of them taught me a specific training method that dates back decades and is highly guarded and passed on to very few. When he spoke with me about it, it was like a kung-fu master passing on the method to a worthy student. He explained to me the responsibility that came with learning and how I must one day choose someone to pass the method on to. It was an honor and it gave me the confidence to have no fear and push forward.

So, with my elevated confidence and skill set, I set out on my mission. Here I am 18 months later and I could not be happier. Sure, I wake up between 330 am and 530 am depending on what the training for the day requires,but I LOVE it!! Each day is anew experience and I spend my day with beatiful animals. Animals dont lie. Animals dont care how much money you make or what kind of car you drive. Animals dont talk behind your back. They only want to spend time together and work.

So with that being said, this will be the first time I have vacationed since I started. It will be nice to have short break at WDW and since we are staying at AKL, I will still be surrounded by animals. Maybe I can train a giraffe to sit? LOL. I would have loved to make this a longer trip but I will be eager to get home and get back to work so I figured I can possibly take a solo trip later this year and get another Disney fix! If anybody is interested in my training adventures, you can check out my Instagram under the account name: Akira The Dutch . Here is a shot of me in action working a Doberman for protection training.
IMG_9799.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Love the retro pictures!! :joyfull:

So jealous that your wife and her mom will enjoy a Rick Steve's guided tour over in Italy!! :jawdrop: I've seen a number of his shows on PBS, and I think he's the best!

Very happy to hear that you went into your own business. I know that you and your wife love dogs. I recall the earlier videos of Akira as a puppy--adorable! The last photo you shared of her, shows that she's grown into a beautiful, full-grown dog. If I'm not mistaken, didn't you also have another dog that, I think you may have rescued?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Love the retro pictures!! :joyfull:

So jealous that your wife and her mom will enjoy a Rick Steve's guided tour over in Italy!! :jawdrop: I've seen a number of his shows on PBS, and I think he's the best!

Very happy to hear that you went into your own business. I know that you and your wife love dogs. I recall the earlier videos of Akira as a puppy--adorable! The last photo you shared of her, shows that she's grown into a beautiful, full-grown dog. If I'm not mistaken, didn't you also have another dog that, I think you may have rescued?
Ive got plenty more retro pictures I will be sharing. My mom has many albums. Ill probly just go to their house and get some higher quality images. My wife is excited about the Rick Steves Tour. We will watch a Rick Steves video on youtube for her, then a Disney one for me.

Yes, Akira is full grown now and doing great. Here is a puppy picture of her when we took a last trip in Oct 2015
Akira.jpg

And here is a picture I took of her this morning

IMG_20170218_160634.jpg

And here is a picture of our Cane Corso we rescued. His name is Boo, and yes, we sing "Boo To You" all the time when we say his name, lol.

Boo1.jpg

He was in very rough shape when we got him but he is doing awesome now. His personal protection training is complete and he and Akira make a great team.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Ive got plenty more retro pictures I will be sharing. My mom has many albums. Ill probly just go to their house and get some higher quality images. My wife is excited about the Rick Steves Tour. We will watch a Rick Steves video on youtube for her, then a Disney one for me.

Yes, Akira is full grown now and doing great. Here is a puppy picture of her when we took a last trip in Oct 2015
View attachment 191164

And here is a picture I took of her this morning

View attachment 191165

And here is a picture of our Cane Corso we rescued. His name is Boo, and yes, we sing "Boo To You" all the time when we say his name, lol.

View attachment 191166

He was in very rough shape when we got him but he is doing awesome now. His personal protection training is complete and he and Akira make a great team.

Awesome! :happy: All this just made my day (after a long day of work and commuting, etc.).

I kept trying to remember the type of rescue dog you brought home. I recall he looked a bit in need, with the first picture you had of him--at some point last year, I believe. He looks amazing now, and that's a tribute to the care and love you and your wife have given him. So happy he found such a good home with the two of you.

As for Akira, she is a beauty! Love the ears pointed up straight like that--very attentive. :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since I will have two days to myself while my parents are out doing their own thing, Ive been creating a list of places I have not had a beer or snack/appetizer at yet. My father does not drink beer anymore which saddens me because we had some really good times (or at least the ones I can remember) boozing it up around the parks.

So now my Dad will have the occasional glass of wine with dinner, but thats about it. My mom wants to do Sake bombs at Japan and Tequila flight at La Hacienda, so that will be fun. But for the days on my own Im compiling a list of solo drinking spots. The top three spots as of now are:

1. Nomad Lounge

2. Trader Sams

3. Abracadabar

Ive seen videos and read all about Trader Sams but if anybody has been to Nomad Lounge or Abracadabar, Id love to hear about it. Ill definitely be doing a bit of a live trip report so fear not, there will be plenty of beer pictures. Ill probly bring the resort room phone with me for company, haha

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
you could see the wall up for Pandora that Im sure will be open by 2020.
That had me cracking up. Thx for the link. Those Waygu sliders look pretty good and Im a fan of meatloaf so Ill proble enjoy them. That bread seriously looks good too. Most likely I will spend a good amount of time in AK so Im sure I will hit Nomad more than once. Ive had the Amber Safari before too and it wasnt anything special. Im not a huge fan of ambers in general due to the high levels of caramel coloring they add in. Wifey taught me all about that. She has ruined many foods I loved by teaching me about the poisons they contain. Ignorance can be so blissful though

lostpro9het

I was hoping there is some type.of magic show or maybe the waiters/waitresses do magic. I have yet to see it in any videos or online reviews
I'm not big on the mixed drinks, outside of my Castaway Cocktails while on the boat, and the beer selection there is mediocre at best so I've had no real interest in going there. The theming looks fun but the beer...not so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom