Going to a Theme Park alone.

rckid

Original Poster
Does anyone else ever visit any of the Disney theme parks, or any other theme park for that matter alone? Just getting the urge to go when no one else wants to or is able to, but you yourself have the time available and the money and want to go regardless and just do it. Ever get an awkward feeling while walking around a theme park full of people who are pretty much all there with somebody but you're not. Sure you get the added benefit of not having to cater to anyone, but are the rides just as fun if there's no one to share your joy and excitement with? Just curious because I've gone by myself before and I do get those awkward feelings, but I still like going because often times I can't get anyone to go with me when I can go, but I still want to go, so I often then go alone. Just a curious thought.

Hobnail Boot

I've never gone on a vacation alone, but I have been in the parks by myself. I'm the early bird of my group, so I'll get up and hit the parks (usually Epcot) while they sleep. I'm not alone for more than a few hours, but it's pretty sweet being able to go at your own pace, eat where you want and ride what you want without having to worry about what other people want to do. I usually check out the World Showcase shops when they open and just stroll around the lagoon. If you feel like going, go for it. I'm sure you'll still enjoy yourself.

Magenta Panther

Oh heck YEAH I've gone alone! It rocks! No kids bawling because they can't swim in the moat at Cinderella castle, nobody griping about sore feet and how much everything costs (nobody besides me, anyway) and the freedom to go wherever I will! And if you really feel the need to "share the magic" with someone, there are like-minded, like-hearted people everywhere in WDW! It's so easy to strike up a conversation with total strangers there. I've done it many times and had a ball. Going it alone in WDW is fun, don't worry. Give it a try and see!

rckid

Original Poster
Well the only Disney park i've been to alone is Epcot, maybe because I feel its more geared for adults, But i've always wanted to walk around Magic Kingdom by myself once. I'm not chlostrophobic, however i do get a little bit of that paranoid feeling of everyone thinking i'm awkward for visiting a place like that all alone. I know I need to stop thinking about what others are thinking about me, but sometimes you can't help it when you are alone I guess.

rckid

Original Poster
If you had to choose which Disney theme park would be the most fun to go at it alone, which would you choose?

shuflemstr

Well the only Disney park i've been to alone is Epcot, maybe because I feel its more geared for adults, But i've always wanted to walk around Magic Kingdom by myself once. I'm not chlostrophobic, however i do get a little bit of that paranoid feeling of everyone thinking i'm awkward for visiting a place like that all alone. I know I need to stop thinking about what others are thinking about me, but sometimes you can't help it when you are alone I guess.

I completely understand. I've only taken two solo vacations. I do feel people looking at me when walking around but I feel it would be worse if I ate alone in a restaurant, which is why I don't. I always stay club level so that I don't have to worry about breakfast and dinner and just do a quick serve in the parks for lunch or come back to the resort and get something and take it back to my room. I don't enjoy it as well not having anyone to talk to. I am not one who can go up to a complete stranger and start talking to them, but it is always fun just being in WDW

rckid

Original Poster
I do admit a nice perk about going alone is to take advantage of the Single Rider lines for the rides that have one. Another perk is getting to do the attractions that others going with you might not like to do which for me includes pretty much all the attractions at Epcot's World Showcase along with Captain EO, Ellen's Energy Adventure, etc. I probably never would've seen O'Canada or Impressions De France or Reflections Of China had I not have gone alone, cause everytime I go with someone, they always only wanna ride the big thrill rides at each Disney park then hop to the next park.

JR864

Well, after 28 years of going with my girlfriend-then-wife, kids from infancy to adulthood, friends, extended family, and my Disney buddy, I'm heading for a solo week starting Saturday. I'm kinda bummed about it because schedules for any of the above failed to align.

But I'm up against my AP expiration on 8/31, and due to the imminent advent of the inexplicably counter-productive patronizing Emperor's-New-Clothes spectacle of MM+, I am 100% certain I will not be renewing it.

So, since this will likely be my last trip until grandchildren (sadly, years away, I fear), I am determined to make a concerted effort to do things I've never done before. To that end, I'm staying at a couple resorts I've never visited, eating at some different restaurants, planning to explore more of the EPCOT pavilions and hotels, and generally intending to turn left where I usually turn right.

Honestly, my biggest concern is similar to the OP. It is true that most people don't notice enough to know or care about whether you're on your own, yet there is a certain self-consciousness about it. And unfortunately in this day and age, a middle-aged man alone in a theme park is a red flag for many. Therefore, I will likely be bypassing IASW and ETWB and the like, and I will definitely NOT be checking my messages while in the restroom. It's sad (but unfortunately warranted as evidenced by this week's story), but I have no desire to run afoul of a soccer mom who glances up from rescheduling her FastPass plus times and decides I'm a menace.

BibleTeacher

Does anyone else ever visit any of the Disney theme parks, or any other theme park for that matter alone? Just getting the urge to go when no one else wants to or is able to, but you yourself have the time available and the money and want to go regardless and just do it. Ever get an awkward feeling while walking around a theme park full of people who are pretty much all there with somebody but you're not. Sure you get the added benefit of not having to cater to anyone, but are the rides just as fun if there's no one to share your joy and excitement with? Just curious because I've gone by myself before and I do get those awkward feelings, but I still like going because often times I can't get anyone to go with me when I can go, but I still want to go, so I often then go alone. Just a curious thought.

When I lived in Florida, I spent most weekends at WDW, most of the time by myself. It's a great experience. Your day, your schedule. Don't worry about awkward feelings, don't worry about people looking at you funny-they are probably jealous that you're free to do what you want, when you want it.

Jenna

I've never been on my own but I have to admit I am REALLY looking forward to being able to squeeze in a few solo trips next year :) Not because I want to be 'on my own' as such, but because it will give me the time without feeling like I'm annoying others to stop and look at the little details, to people watch, to have my picture taken with as many characters as possible etc.

I wouldn't worry about other people, everyone is there for the same reason, to have fun. Sure someone may notice you on your own and probably think it odd but so what? You're never going to see them again, and whilst they're busy thinking about how strange it is that someone is in the parks alone you'll be too busy having fun doing what you want to do :)

Since1976

The closest I came to visiting alone was when I went to ORL for a conference 4 years ago. I had a co-worker with me but he was no comparison to two kids!

It was fun and liberating running from attraction to attraction, but I admit there was some magic lost for me by not being able to share the joy with a family member. Today I barely count that experience as a real trip.

That said, if we ever take a family trip and there is an opportunity to split up or go solo for a day, you bet I will take it!

Susan Savia

I've never done it myself, but I would think it would be kinda fun to be able to explore and enjoy the parks at your own pace. Eat when and where you want, plop down on a bench whenever and do the things that often times others in your party never want to do.

Britt

I always say "I could never/would never", but it sounds so appealing!! To go at YOUR own pace!

I have never noticed anyone being there "alone". If I see someone by themselves, I just assume they wanted to ride something nobody else did, or they're grabbing something.....I guess that was my own weird assumptions! Haha I never thought anything weird was going on!

I would definitely not think anything weird of a middle aged man there by himself! Maybe I'm naive!!

What was the story out this week about checking messages in the bathroom?? @JR864

OswaldTheRabbit

I would love to go alone! To be able to take in all the details and not run to the rides for my kids is something I really want to do some day. Or be able to eat where you want/when you want!

Don't feel awkward about it! Everyone is so busy trying to corral their kids that they don't even notice anything or anyone else!

Heck I would even go to sitdown TS if I was alone. There are so many I want to try (morocco for instance) that my family always vetoes!

Go for it and enjoy it! After all you will be in the magic bubble!

SyracuseDisneyFan

I've never done it, but the next time we go, I may. I'm going with my family next May for a few days and then we're supposed to go to the beach the last two days. However, my Mom did say that anyone who wants to stay at Disney can. I might do that. I love my family, but for my own sanity, some alone time will do me good. I may get a chance to do things that I probably can't do with anyone else and I won't have anyone annoying me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom