Going over to the darkside

misterID

I assume these are predominantly "Disney families"?

Because I've never had this issue at all.
Really? I see a lot of slow moving omnimover and boat rides. But they do have a plethora of trains in mountains
I guess you could say Disney family, as in having history there, but they love BG and Dollywood also, and gripe about things at Disney, but still love the place. They don't visit forums, if that gives you an idea.

I think physical sets and dark rides have a bigger appeal than what I think you're giving credit. The slower paced stuff is as important as the thrills, in my case anyway

I can't argue the screen arguments, they do have merit. Especially with those who have motion sickness issues that are magnified by screens, even Star Tours. It's more about people wanting to ride attractions together and having variety. Again, it looks like UNI is working on this. I hope they keep it going.

lebeau

The biggest pushback on getting people to go to UNI over WDW for me is the resistance to screen-based attractions. Even the F&F ride commercial is a pain. "Another simulator?" Then you have to explain that it's for Hollywood and all that. It's getting that reputation, though. And that's unfortunate. Especially when you're trying to talk people into going. Kong will hopefully go a long way in helping that.

True story.

The other day as I was walking into work, I was walking behind a couple of coworkers from another department. I didn't know them at all, but I heard their conversation as we all made our way in to work.

Employee 1: I leave for Orlando tomorrow.
Employee 2: I bet you're excited.
Employee 1: Yes. We can't wait.
Employee 2: You doing Disney again?
Employee 1: (makes a face) No way! We're doing Universal. Harry Potter and all that stuff. My kids are old enough now I think we're done with Disney.
Employee 2: Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't wait till we hit that age. Universal sounds so cool.

misterID

True story.

The other day as I was walking into work, I was walking behind a couple of coworkers from another department. I didn't know them at all, but I heard their conversation as we all made our way in to work.

Employee 1: I leave for Orlando tomorrow.
Employee 2: I bet you're excited.
Employee 1: Yes. We can't wait.
Employee 2: You doing Disney again?
Employee 1: (makes a face) No way! We're doing Universal. Harry Potter and all that stuff. My kids are old enough now I think we're done with Disney.
Employee 2: Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't wait till we hit that age. Universal sounds so cool.
I'm sure that happens. I can only go on my experience. I'm really impressed with them, but UNI still needs more variety.

lebeau

I'm sure that happens. I can only go on my experience. I'm really impressed with them, but UNI still needs more variety.

No argument that more variety would be a good thing.

Most of the people I know in real life are not Disney fans. Universal is gaining traction among a lot of them. I'm hearing a lot of disparaging "I'll never go back again" comments from people who have recently taken their first WDW trip. Too crowded, too expensive, too big are common criticisms. The same people saying these things, and there have been several just this summer, have nothing but praise for Universal.

Mileage may vary.

Come to think of it, I know several families that went to WDW this summer and not a single one reported having a good time or wanting to go back. :eek:

GLaDOS

Come to think of it, I know several families that went to WDW this summer and not a single one reported having a good time or wanting to go back. :eek:

It's really an interesting trend, and one that I think Disney brought on themselves. Crowds are one thing. I think people would be able to deal with crowds more if the "commando" style of touring wasn't pushed so hard by so many sites and sources on line. There's this insane pressure to get everything done, and it completely demolishes any chance of having fun. It's easy for me and my family to say, as we've been there a lot, but taking breaks and taking your time is invaluable when you go there. That's something that most trip planning sites won't tell you to do. They'll tell you the plans to get 75 rides in on one day though.

lebeau

It's really an interesting trend, and one that I think Disney brought on themselves. Crowds are one thing. I think people would be able to deal with crowds more if the "commando" style of touring wasn't pushed so hard by so many sites and sources on line. There's this insane pressure to get everything done, and it completely demolishes any chance of having fun. It's easy for me and my family to say, as we've been there a lot, but taking breaks and taking your time is invaluable when you go there. That's something that most trip planning sites won't tell you to do. They'll tell you the plans to get 75 rides in on one day though.

True enough. Although any time I tell people to take a break, they look at me like I have two heads. I can see the wheels turning. "I am spending a small fortune for this vacation I sure as hell am not taking any breaks! Full steam ahead!"

BrerJon

Part of the problem is the parks were designed to be open late, as they used to be, not close at 7 or 8, as is common. When you always had until midnight, a commando touring plan didn't also mean exhaustion and misery, there were enough hours to relax *and* get everything done.

Then Disney realised that the best way to get guests to spend an extra day on property was to make sure they left with things still left to do, so they slashed park hours to ensure 'seeing it all' in one day was an impossibility. Where once parks closed at 10, 11 or 12, they now closed at 7, 8 or 9.

Good for Disney's business, but terrible for anyone trying to fit a lot in, and ending up with it being a bit of a miserable experience to even try.

The Tuna

I usually tell people to do 9 days minimum so that you can have a couple of days to just chill out around the pool or go shopping or relax at a water park, maybe hit downtown Disney. I used to be a park commando but like you I have been enough times to know that the slower you take WDW the more you actually take in.

Plus you need a couple of days at UO as well if your kids are of a decent age or if you don't have any.

jloucks

Most of the people I know in real life are not Disney fans. Universal is gaining traction among a lot of them. I'm hearing a lot of disparaging "I'll never go back again" comments from people who have recently taken their first WDW trip. Too crowded, too expensive, too big are common criticisms. The same people saying these things, and there have been several just this summer, have nothing but praise for Universal.

Mileage may vary.

Too crowded is my biggest criticism, followed up by utilizing a lowest possible tier bus service. Our recent visit to Uni was so nice in those two regards.

jloucks

Part of the problem is the parks were designed to be open late, as they used to be, not close at 7 or 8, as is common. When you always had until midnight, a commando touring plan didn't also mean exhaustion and misery, there were enough hours to relax *and* get everything done.

Then Disney realised that the best way to get guests to spend an extra day on property was to make sure they left with things still left to do, so they slashed park hours to ensure 'seeing it all' in one day was an impossibility. Where once parks closed at 10, 11 or 12, they now closed at 7, 8 or 9.

Good for Disney's business, but terrible for anyone trying to fit a lot in, and ending up with it being a bit of a miserable experience to even try.

There is usually one park open very late. 11-midnight was one of the few sweet-spots where crowds were light.

....more to sell park hopper passes?

lebeau

Too crowded is my biggest criticism, followed up by utilizing a lowest possible tier bus service. Our recent visit to Uni was so nice in those two regards.

We spent Father's Day weekend at Cabana Bay and Universal. It was night and day compared to Disney. For less than the cost of a moderate resort, I could see Hogwarts from my room. Every time we went to the shuttle stop going either way, there were at least 2 shuttles waiting for us. We always got a seat no waiting. And even in late June, the park didn't feel crowded except occassionally for the stores in Harry Potter lands which are supposed to feel crowded.

The missus proclaimed Universal "one million times better than WDW."

Disneyhead'71

We spent Father's Day weekend at Cabana Bay and Universal. It was night and day compared to Disney. For less than the cost of a moderate resort, I could see Hogwarts from my room. Every time we went to the shuttle stop going either way, there were at least 2 shuttles waiting for us. We always got a seat no waiting. And even in late June, the park didn't feel crowded except occassionally for the stores in Harry Potter lands which are supposed to feel crowded.

The missus proclaimed Universal "one million times better than WDW."
How well did your little one handle the more scary nature of Universal, and did she dance with the Minions?

And what were your overall impressions of the hotel and the parks?

UpAllNight

Mileage may vary.

Not long been back from Florida with 3 people who had never been and they all loved Universal and tbh unfortunately for me (because I love it) they were underwhelmed by Disney. Don't get me wrong, they enjoyed Disney a lot, stating every park they visited was better than anything we have in the UK, but pre trip they saw Disney as the pinnacle and this quickly changed.

The biggest problem without question was the crowds...one of the main reasons we loved Seaworld so much. What a great few days we had there in a great park. The next day we were stuck in a 90 minute que (advertised as 20) for Rock n Rollercoaster wandering if this was the sort of holiday we had wanted.

Mouse_Trap

The biggest pushback on getting people to go to UNI over WDW for me is the resistance to screen-based attractions. Even the F&F ride commercial is a pain. "Another simulator?" Then you have to explain that it's for Hollywood and all that. It's getting that reputation, though. And that's unfortunate. Especially when you're trying to talk people into going. Kong will hopefully go a long way in helping that.

I always put that down to jealously that they've not gotten an E ticket at WDW in more than a decade. Thus you rubbish all the new Universal rides by saying, pah but it's all screens.

When it comes down to it, Disney also has a awful lot of rides that use screens...without counting I say they probably have more across the 4 parks.

Mouse_Trap

Disney knows the crowd problem so their solution is to keep pushing prices up. The poor have bad habits anyways so keep pushing the prices up for everything until the crowd level goes down. 100 people at $10 is a $1,000, 50 people at $20 is still $1,000. Better yet 60 people at $30, $$1,800 the best of all worlds. That is Disney business plan at the moment.

Not sure I fully agree.

We know that Disney cares a lot about milking ever last $ out of guests, and whilst your example is true for ticket price; it doesn't translate to food and merchandise.

I would say their strategy is more about attempting to spread the crowds over more of the year, and keeping guests out of lines and into the shops and food locations (FP+).

jloucks

I know stroller rentals have gone up at least 100% over maybe 7 years. I use to rent a stroller when my kids were little and then one year it was just way to much money so the kids starting walking. Food is the same way the price jumped a lot but people just seem to think I'm in a theme park so I'll get screwed on the food costs. Those refillable cups have gone up also. I don't remember the new scheme but they cost more by the amount of days used, use to be $13 for your entire stay(?).

I've been going to WDW every year for the last 7 years usually twice a year. All I know is without non expiring tickets I'm done. It wasn't bad when you could buy 10 days and use them whenever but now for me to go to WDW for 2, three day trips a year the tickets are just more then I want to pay. Hotel prices have jumped, food has jumped everything has gone up to the point where I have other choices for entertainment for the money. I have said this before a stay at WDW on site for 4 people is the cost of a used boat. Literally I could buy a used boat and throw it out at the end of the year or go to WDW. The place is just a theme park, everything is copies of the real thing. You go into pirates and it looks like a real Fort in the Caribbean, why not just go see the real thing?? I would rather go see the real places that Disney is based on then go see a copy of them with some rides thrown in.

It is true, the opportunity cost of WDW is high. I liked your boat example, really spelled out what you are foregoing, to go. I was thinking about a really fancy golf cart I wanted.

Unfortunately, supply is fixed so price has to go up unless demand goes down. ...which is not going to happen without a global recession. You are competing globally for ticket prices. Think of it sorta like a big admission-ticket auction and everybody on the planet is bidding on spots. Sooner or later it is going to get too rich for your/our blood and you are going to have to give up. ...and get your boat.

People often forget that WDW is a luxury item, just like a boat or a Mercedes. Not cheap, and not for everybody.

...lots and lots of people cannot afford WDW. We are fortunate (for varying reasons) to be able to go at all.

Tony Perkis

Strollers, and the idea that "family attractions" means "for ages 1+", are the major reasons why I will not step foot inside MK until real improvements are made. New Fantasyland was not a good enough improvement.

Tony Perkis

There is 100% incorrect. I would bet heavy money that the average family has rarely, if ever, rejected Universal due to screen-based attractions.

jloucks

There is 100% incorrect. I would bet heavy money that the average family has rarely, if ever, rejected Universal due to screen-based attractions.

I did find the mass quantity of them mildly annoying, but no, you are correct, rejecting outright never entered our mind.

And some of the high-dollar screen attractions are hybrids in my opinion. For those that have never been, some of them you ride around in a robot cart thing and get thrust into different 'scenes' that involve screens.

I have never experienced anything quite like the Harry P Forbidden Journey. They basically attach one of these...

stacks_image_5796.png

... to a track and put a passenger car on the other end. The things scoots about wiggling in coordination to the surrounding screens and thrusts the cartload of people into concave screen experiences during the ride. ...while blasting you with dragon fire. Really. Like, real fire that is hot on your legs. I actually checked my leg hair when I got off. It was all there.

...calling this a screen-based ride is not doing it justice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom