Gift Cards for no room service

deeevo

Original Poster
Multiple reports are coming out that people are being offered a $20 gift card a day for not having their rooms cleaned. I guess this is a test at Value resorts only. Would you take it? If I am staying in a Deluxe on an extended vacation and paying Deluxe prices then no I don't think so. If I am over for a few nights in a Moderate then sure I will take $40. Curious if this has legs.

DisneyJoe

Multiple reports are coming out that people are being offered a $20 gift card a day for not having their rooms cleaned. I guess this is a test at Value resorts only. Would you take it? If I am staying in a Deluxe on an extended vacation and paying Deluxe prices then no I don't think so. If I am over for a few nights in a Moderate then sure I will take $40. Curious if this has legs.
Are they at least coming in and refreshing towels?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Fascinating. How long does it take to clean a hotel room? Even if you assumed a full hour, housekeepers are making less than $20 an hour I'm sure. How is this cost effective for Disney? Unless they're so short staffed that they're doing this as a temporary measure.

21stamps

Fascinating. How long does it take to clean a hotel room? Even if you assumed a full hour, housekeepers are making less than $20 an hour I'm sure. How is this cost effective for Disney? Unless they're so short staffed that they're doing this as a temporary measure.

Hopefully it will be a limited time and then they just start requesting people to do so. $20 per day is hefty.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Time spent will not be the only factor. Rooms that aren't being serviced every day will use less towels (less water and soap and less towel replacement), less toiletries (they won't be as inclined to throw the set in their luggage and get a new one every day) and I'm sure many other things.

I'm with you, I cannot fathom how it would all add up to $20 per day per guest room, but I'm sure there's more to it than just time spent and labor costs.

21stamps

I think it would be a PR nightmare. I personally wouldn't get too upset about it but $500 per night combined with the elimination of daily housekeeping would be a bad look.

I agree with you if we're talking about a week.. but every other day..or 3rd day, should be good.
Hilton brands do it, so does GWL.. their rooms are about the same price. You can still request daily service though. I'm all for people being asked to be a little more eco friendly..but still having the choice for daily service if they want/need it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I agree with you if we're talking about a week.. but every other day..or 3rd day, should be good.
Hilton brands do it, so does GWL.. their rooms are about the same price. You can still request daily service though. I'm all for people being asked to be a little more eco friendly..but still having the choice for daily service if they want/need it.
"Eco friendly" only really applies to less-than-daily towel and sheet washing, which they're already doing. There's nothing particularly green about skipping out on vacuuming and making the bed.

Brian

Towels, shampoo, trash service, etc are available, and someone comes to the room to bring it when requested. I opted out of housekeeping the other day at All Star Movies and just called when I needed things. The CM at the front desk said it's only at their resort for now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Given the markup on everything on site, a $20 gift card might actually cost Disney $10-$12 if not less. I can get bottles of water at Sam's for 50 cents that WDW sells all day for $3.

I'd probably opt in for the gift card but there's no chance I'd do it for free. I shower in the morning so I go to bed covered in sweat and sunscreen. I need fresh sheets on the fourth day at least.
Do you really think that mousekeeping is changing the sheets daily? I bet they change the sheets after the guest checks out.
People are making a big deal about the $20 gift card, being equal to the loss of maid and other supplies. It's a gift card, so all the money is staying with Disney. I had free meals added on to my dining plan once because of a computer error. It would be different if they were handing you a $20 bill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom