Trip Report Getting the Most Out of Our APs...or True Dedication: 2 Solo-ish Weekend Trips in a Row! COMPLETED

Hi everybody!! This trip report will be a little different for us, well, me. I had the opportunity (?) To drive myself 7 hours each way from North GA to WDW for two weekends in a row, just getting back tonight from the second.

Since DH (Mrhappyplace) and I became AP holders in December, we have been in planning overdrive!! We have a week-long trip in May planned, and now (spoiler alert) booked the bounceback offer this weekend for a 4 day trip in September. Definitely trying to get our money's worth!

My sister Chrissy, her husband, and my 6- and 4-year-old nephews were spending a week in WDW (they are there until this Wednesday), so DH suggested that I should go down for the weekend to surprise the boys. This sounded like a great idea, so my agent was able to book me a Disney Visa preferred room at All Star Movies, which was great because I wanted to do it on the cheap as much as I could. Fantastic!

Then, about a month ago, my best friend, whom I haven't seen in almost 3 years, texted me, telling me that she had a work trip to Orlando coming up, and to see if I wanted to join her for a weekend trip? Her name is Penny, and she is the person that created this beast. Penny took me to Disney for the first time ever back in 2001. Now, as we like to joke, the student has surpassed the master...but could I drive 14 hours round trip, 2 weekends in a row to demonstrate my Disney love??!!

Stay tuned!! I will continue tomorrow night...

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The next morning, we slept in a bit, and then Ubered our way to the Poly for breakfast at Kona...I wanted to introduce Penny to the wonder that is Tonga Toast. We checked in, and before very long at all, they texted that our table was ready.

Penny can't eat a lot of carbs, so she went for the Big Kahuna, and took just a few bites of the pancakes and potatoes. She doubled the sausage though, and tasted my Tonga Toast, which she loved.

Me with my Tonga Toast, and side of bacon. Yes I know TT comes with bacon too. I like bacon.

Penny had to instagram my TT.

As we were eating, Penny mentioned in conversation that she had never visited the Grand Floridian, and since we weren't going to any parks since I had to start my trek home by noon, I told her we should go do that. So we did.

I have visited the GF before, so I guess I was too occupied showing Penny the details, and didn't take any pics inside. Oops. We did wander the grounds a bit, and wound up at the boat dock. We briefly entertained the idea of taking it, but then decided not to. We probably looked totally confused because we sat on the benches at the dock, just enjoying the gorgeous day and the breeze, and just when the boat pulled up, we left.

We decided to Uber one more time, so headed toward the lobby. Then I realized I've never gone to or used the GF bus stop, so there was something new for me to see!

A short Uber ride to our hotel one last time to pack any last minute things (we both packed the majority of our stuff that morning, and honestly, how much could I really unpack in such a short stay??), hugs for Penny, and I was on my way back home by 11:45ish.

Weekend #2 coming up!

amjt660

Premium Member
The next morning, we slept in a bit, and then Ubered our way to the Poly for breakfast at Kona...I wanted to introduce Penny to the wonder that is Tonga Toast. We checked in, and before very long at all, they texted that our table was ready.

Penny can't eat a lot of carbs, so she went for the Big Kahuna, and took just a few bites of the pancakes and potatoes. She doubled the sausage though, and tasted my Tonga Toast, which she loved.

Me with my Tonga Toast, and side of bacon. Yes I know TT comes with bacon too. I like bacon.

Penny had to instagram my TT.

As we were eating, Penny mentioned in conversation that she had never visited the Grand Floridian, and since we weren't going to any parks since I had to start my trek home by noon, I told her we should go do that. So we did.

I have visited the GF before, so I guess I was too occupied showing Penny the details, and didn't take any pics inside. Oops. We did wander the grounds a bit, and wound up at the boat dock. We briefly entertained the idea of taking it, but then decided not to. We probably looked totally confused because we sat on the benches at the dock, just enjoying the gorgeous day and the breeze, and just when the boat pulled up, we left.

We decided to Uber one more time, so headed toward the lobby. Then I realized I've never gone to or used the GF bus stop, so there was something new for me to see!

A short Uber ride to our hotel one last time to pack any last minute things (we both packed the majority of our stuff that morning, and honestly, how much could I really unpack in such a short stay??), hugs for Penny, and I was on my way back home by 11:45ish.

Weekend #2 coming up!
Stop... you had me at Tonga Toast....

Max

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Weekend #2:

Friday, February 24th- This time, I had already put in to leave early, so I was on the road at 12:30. Google maps saw traffic on 85, so rerouted me around the city, and it wasn't too bad. I really started recognizing the same signs, buildings, landmarks, etc, so this ride is becoming familiar to me at this point. Around 1:45 I received my room-ready text. Yay!

Don't laugh at me, but I did tear up as I drove under the Walt Disney World sign...it was the first time I'd ever driven through it, whether with someone or not. I found my way to All Star Movies easily enough (though I pass the first entrance, so had to circle through another time before I figured out where to park. I got a spot right near the crosswalk from the lobby. I carried my few bags though the lobby, stopping to check whether or not I needed to get any kind of pass for parking, if I was leaving my car in the lot. Answer: nope. So I headed to my room, #9917 in Toy Story building 9. I found my room easily enough. Room seemed to be in good enough order, the only wear and tear I really noticed was the carpeting was a little worn, and the paint was chipped a bit on the clothes rack near the sink. Overall, I was pleased with my room.

I liked the film strip tiles in the shower

I had a good laugh when I listened to the voice message that was blinking on the phone...wishing me luck on running in the race Saturday...yeah right!! I. Don't. Run.

After that, I explored the Toy Story area, before heading into the food court for some dinner.

I love that you go through Andy's door to arrive in the area

Loved the pull string detail

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a movie playing here

The Fantasia pool

These trees reminded me of Sunset Blvd in DHS

The Fantasia section

The Love Bug section

101 Dalmations section

And finally, the Mighty Ducks section

The food court...I discovered I like Pop Century's food court MUCH better, but that this one was better than my sister's resort, All Star Sports.

I went with a meatball sub, homemade chips, side salad, brownie, and coke. The meatballs were quite tasty, nice spice...

After eating, I visited the gift shop, and purchased a teensy pair of Mickey head earrings...I'm always after tiny earrings that I can wear to work, and not risk small toddler hands yanking them out of my ear! I found an ornament I liked, though decided I would pick that up in May.

After that, it was back to the room. I watched a few minutes of Stacey, and then off to sleep!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, February 25th- Up and at 'em!! I wanted to be at rope drop at DHS. I showered, got ready, and headed to the food court for breakfast.

Sun breaking on the Toy Story section as I waited for the elevator. I sort of love how this pic turned out.

Breakfast was mickey waffles (this was actually the first time I've ever had them...what?!) and sausage.

Then, out to the bus stop for DHS

There was a slight fog that morning, and I liked the way Tower of Terror looked in it as I approached the entrance.

I quickly made my way through bag check, then was pleased to see this:

I joined the line, only a couple of parties back. I chatted with another solo traveler, and then another family joined the line behind me, and we all had a nice chat about WDW. The family behind me wondered if AP holders got in the park sooner, and I informed him that while they don't let us in any sooner, the theory is that we should be able to get in quicker because we know what we're doing. Soon enough, they opened the ticket gates, and we headed to the rope drop point, me hanging to the right because I had ToT on my mind (any one know if single riders on TSM are placed with anyone else or can they ride by themselves? I might have headed to that first, if I knew...that was the one ride I didn't really want to be put with anyone else, because I thought it would be awkward).

And then we were off!! Although I walked...others ran like they weren't going to make it on or something! As it was, I barely had any time to take pictures through the queue!

Our bellhop was excellent! As were the two young girls behind me, they had me laughing so hard. Girl 1: What is going on, do you know what's going on? Girl 2: I don't remember!! We had a thrilling ride, I swear they dropped us more than I can ever remember!

This doll always creeps me out...

I had a little time before my RnRC FP, so I visited the restroom, then visited a couple of shops.

I found the CUTEST baby doll Pegasus for my niece Avery, and texted a picture to my sister, who was a big Pegasus fan back when Hercules came out. Her response: GET IT!! I decided to get it when I go back in May, for her birthday in June.

I also saw these folks, but couldn't catch up to them

And these folks

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I really enjoyed just wandering around at my leisure, soaking in that early morning Disney feeling...

I loved these Tangled salt & pepper shakers

Then, it was time for my RnRC FP. There was no FP wait, right on. I was paired with a girl, whom I apologized to in advance for my screaming and giggling, and she said "I don't mind at all, means you're having fun". And I did! Love that ride. It's always over far too fast for my liking.

When I walked back down the street, I saw that the March of the First Order was going on. I couldn't get much closer, but meh.

I had a later FP for Star Tours, but the wait was only 10 minutes, so I hopped on. I was not the rebel spy. Is it me or is it always stifling hot there!?

After that, I wandered past the Muppets, but was sad to see my little Christmas shop wasn't open

I wandered back over to the Chinese Theater

And then decided to have lunch. I wasn't starving, but I didn't know my sister's plans, so thought I better eat something before meeting up with them a bit later. So a hot dog from Min and Bill's it was...chili cheese. Yum. I couldn't eat the huge roll, but I ate all of the hot dog.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
When 3 of us ride TSM, the single rider gets to ride by him/her self.
When I rode TSM by myself, a solo lady climbed into the car beside me claiming, "single riders get paired up." I do not know if that is truth or not.....what I DO know is that was the most uncomfortable, awkward TSM ride I have ever had and I hated every minute of it.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I had a Frozen Sing-A-Long FP for the next next show, but since I was done eating, and had no other plans, I went to the next show. This was a first!

The historians were HILARIOUS!

I thought this show was so well done, and I really enjoyed myself. It was never something DH was terribly interested in, so it worked out perfectly. Oh, and even though I was alone, I belted out every song!

My sister texted me right when the show was getting ready to start, so I told her I'd head to meet them at MK when the show was over. So I made my way to the exit, and to the MK bus stop. As I was getting near I saw not one, but two MK buses pulling away at the same time. Boo! So I became first in line, followed by a family and then then 2 girls in their early 20s I'd say. We waited. And waited. We waited 30 minutes or so. Approximately 4 Epcot buses show up in that time span, so finally the family and the girls leave the line for the Epcot bus. Sure enough, as soon as they did, a MK bus finally shows. I waved over to the girls and told them to come get ahead of me, and they were so grateful. I told them that it wouldn't have come if they didn't leave the line, so I owed it to them :p

Coming up tomorrow...meeting up with my very surprised nephews!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
When 3 of us ride TSM, the single rider gets to ride by him/her self.
When I rode TSM by myself, a solo lady climbed into the car beside me claiming, "single riders get paired up." I do not know if that is truth or not.....what I DO know is that was the most uncomfortable, awkward TSM ride I have ever had and I hated every minute of it.

See, that's what I was afraid of; I'm glad I didn't do it then! I don't mind screaming next to a stranger, but I don't want to compete with them, even for fun! LOL.

amjt660

Premium Member
Loving the pics of Movies and DHS
We stayed at ASM 4 times when our girls were young ( 2 Toy Story, 1 Fantasia and 1 Herbie)
Your pictures brought back a flood of memories - thank you

Being solo for me almost always means I take more pictures than I am with others.
Your pics of DHS range for the standard/normal shots but also some very unique ones
For example I have never noticed that doll - and you are right - very creepy and cra cra!!
Thanks for those

The Robin Williams hand print shot was a nice addition too - he was an amazing / versatile individual that left us too soon.

Following along and enjoying the ride!!!

Max

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Loving the pics of Movies and DHS
We stayed at ASM 4 times when our girls were young ( 2 Toy Story, 1 Fantasia and 1 Herbie)
Your pictures brought back a flood of memories - thank you

Being solo for me almost always means I take more pictures than I am with others.
Your pics of DHS range for the standard/normal shots but also some very unique ones
For example I have never noticed that doll - and you are right - very creepy and cra cra!!
Thanks for those

The Robin Williams hand print shot was a nice addition too - he was an amazing / versatile individual that left us too soon.

Following along and enjoying the ride!!!

Max

You're welcome :)

And thanks, since I have been many times, I try to look for things to photograph that I haven't seen or taken myself tons of times.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, when I finally arrived at MK, and after texting Chrissy all the while, we agreed to meet in Adventureland, near the Swiss Family Treehouse (one of our favorite movies as girls). Duane (Chrissy's husband) was sitting near the exit, while Chrissy and the boys were up in the tree. I chatted with Duane for a bit about their stay so far (they had been there since Tuesday or Wednesday). To back up, the boys didn't know I was there at all. Chrissy told me later that all she told them that morning was that they were going to get a surprise that day. I had my back to the exit, and in a few moments I hear my 6-year old nephew shout "Aunt Amber!!!" He was able to recognize me from behind, and when I turned around, he LAUNCHED himself into my arms. Brought tears to my eyes! The 4 year old was a little shyer but definitely warmed up soon enough.

This is Chrissy, and the 6 year old, D.

And the 4 year old, C. We had to keep reminding him that we don't climb the big rock...he's a go-getter.

After chatting for a minute, we decided to go and use the FP they had for the afternoon (their other two were for the evening). So we headed toward Tomorrowland Speedway...which I hadn't done before.

C wanted to drive me (I used Chrissy's magic band), so D drove Duane. While we were in line, though, D got his arm stuck in the railing on the overpass. And I mean, STUCK. When we went to move up in line, he screamed "help me!!" and started crying. His arm was wedged in there good, and we tried getting it out, when what does Aunt Amber think of? To spit on his arm, to make it more slippery. Yes, I spit on my nephew's arm...it was the first thing I thought of! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Duane finally got his arm out. Poor guy...but he forgot all about it almost immediately. Phew!

C was so proud that he was tall enough to ride all of the rides he wanted, but we soon found out that he couldn't really concentrate on both steering AND pushing the gas pedal, so I operated that while he steered. I also found out that in about 12 years, I am done driving because I don't want to be on the road when C drives! He discovered that if he turned the wheel over hard, the car would hit the rail below us, and make the wheel fly out of his hands. The first time he did it was so unexpected that I dropped my lens cap on the floor! It was quite the trip! We laughed so hard, the whole time.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The plan was then to all go to All Star Movies (my resort) so that I could pick up my bathing suit. We then walked to All Star Sports, so that we could grab a quick bite (they had TONS of unused meal and snack credits) then I could take the boys swimming while Chrissy and Duane went to dinner at Le Chefs de France.

I don't have any photos of our snacks, but I got a side salad and a carrot cake. I also don't have any pictures of us at the pool, but we had a BLAST!! We played Shark, and I taught them Marco Polo. So much fun, I treasured this time with them, as I only get to see them a couple of times a year.

We headed back to the room (they stayed in the building with a megaphone stairs, which C kept calling the shortcut. He also kept referring to the megaphone as salt (he thought it was a salt shaker, apparently). Got the boys and myself changed. I originally was going to stick my wet bathing suit in a trash bag and just take it in the park with me in my bag, but I really didn't want to. So I decided to leave it there and just make my sister mail it back to me later. I won't need it until like May anyway. D decided he was hungry again, and wanted cheese pizza, but just as we got in line, Chrissy & Duane texted to say they were on the monorail headed back to MK (they enjoyed their dinner) so we left the line and hopped on the bus. Even that was a fun time, we told jokes the whole way. C's didn't make any sense of course, he's 4. Chrissy & Duane met us at the bus stop and I told them what good boys they had been.

So again I used Chrissy's magic band, and we headed to Splash Mountain (which they had ridden a couple of times earlier in the week, and now C refers to it as the "ride where you get splatted") D wanted to ride with me, and told me to put my hands up.

I love C's face in this

Next up was Big Thunder, though we had a couple of minutes, so we shared a popcorn and used the restrooms by Splash. D again wanted to ride with me.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We wandered toward Adventureland to check out the Pirates store (D is obsessed with Pirates) and we decided that since there was a 25 minute wait, that we'd hop inline...we had no other plans. UNTIL I realized Wishes was about to start!! So we made it to the Liberty Square bridge...not the perfect view but I knew Main Street would be packed by then, and at least we had a good view of Tinker Bell.

We took a couple of pictures before...doesn't C look like a sly little devil here? And I obviously got some sun!

Duane would not stand still, so theirs didn't turn out so well

And, because you can never have enough castle pics even after 16 years of visiting WDW...

This might be the most decent shot I've ever gotten of Tink

C was sitting in his stroller, leaning forward, but didn't notice the Evil Queen's face on the castle until a moment later, he gasped and sat back!

After a minute he felt brave enough to stand like big brother D.

Through the eyes of sweet children...

We walked back through Frontierland and Adventureland on the way out...what a glorious day it had been! Sadly, as we approached the bus stop, an ASM one pulled up so I had to give quick teary hugs (most of the tears were from us sisters!) and say bye. I'm SO glad I had the opportunity to visit them in the World!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, February 26th- A solo morning! And a mishap because of the marathon...

I woke up at 7 or so, and got ready. I packed up everything (again, not a long stay, so not a big mess). When I was ready to leave, I took my bags with me. I took them to my car, then quickly went to the food court, grabbed a side of sausage and a bottle of water, and took them to the bus stop, and ate the sausage in line. I was boarding the bus at 8:10. What time did we pull into the MK bus stop? 9:30.

ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES!! And I was standing! (a kind man offered me his seat, which I politely declined) I knew there'd be traffic, hence why I thought almost an hour would be sufficient. Sheesh. There were people on the bus frantically calling their dining reservations, so at least I was lucky in that I didn't really have anything other than a FP that I might miss (I didn't). I had hoped to rope drop 7DMT, but alas that was not to be.

Everybody clapped and whistled when we pulled in, and I was glad to hear that many thanked the bus driver (as I hoped everyone could realize that it wasn't his fault). I quickly walked to the bag check to the left (most people just mindlessly walked to the right), got through quickly, and successfully found a very short line and was in!

I was texting DH while on the bus, and sent him this selfie when I made it in and to the hub. It wasn't very crowded...obviously everyone was having the same issue.

I opted to go through the castle, as my 9:00-10:00 FP was Peter Pan. A look back at Main Street USA

I had time, so I wandered for a few...

Then it was on to Peter Pan, and rather quickly at that. I love that ride!!

I decided it was prime time for a Mickey bar and a view of the best bathrooms in the world!

I probably shouldn't have taken bites before this...

I walked, Mickey bar in hand, toward Liberty Square...smiling like a fool at this beautiful Disney morning. You know the kind...the pavement is still wet from where they washed it down, birds singing, sun is out but it's still cool in the shadows...perfection.

I noticed that HM only had a 10 minute wait, which really was just walking on, so I finished my ice cream and did that.

I don't think I'd ever noticed this bat on the sign

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom