Getting in and out of parking lots in June

rjstone

Original Poster
Hello all...thanks for reading.

Staying at POR June 14 - June 21. Will have a car this trip. I'm trying to decide if I should use the buses or the car. I have read some post regarding buses vs drive yourself to the park, but still looking for more information about the parking lots.

-how much does it cost?

-did you have a hard time getting in and out of the lots due to crowds?

-I bet the parking lots are huge?

-Can I catch a ride from my car to the park entrance...is it like waiting for a bus? :)

-any tips?

Last edited:

sissa216

-Since you're staying on property, parking is free! Both at your resort, and the parks.

-I don't have experience driving in June, but we've driven to the parks quite a bit in the past at different times of year; the only long waits were at the beginning and end of days. You'll be trying to enter along with all the day guests/ offsite guests.

-They are fairly large; on very busy days, they can close if they reach capacity.

-Yes, there are trams to take you to and from your car. They are more frequent than a bus- several constantly running back and forth. Many times, a tram will take off simply because the next one is approaching and it needs to get out of the way. Other times, you'll just be waiting a few minutes. Depending where you park (and which park you're at), it may be quicker and easier to walk if you're close enough.

Have you visited before? In general, the transportation system is very efficient and built to handle large crowds. If you are worried about the stress of driving, maybe you'll be happier parking your car for the week? Otherwise, in the past when we've taken a car, we have used it first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. Throughout the day, we use Disney transportation to get around property- it's relaxing, there are not huge crowds in the middle of the day, and it gives us a relaxing break. The roads are very clearly marked for guests- just follow the signs towards the park you want to visit (or if going to a resort, follow the signs for the park nearest that resort, until the resort signage appears)

rjstone

Original Poster
Yes I have visited before, but always fly in and used Disney transportation. I have waited in long bus lines a few times, but overall the buses were not bad. Thinking it would be nice to just hop in my car and go...if I can get in and out easy...else I'll just take the bus.

sissa216

I think it all just comes down to preference. Sometimes we like to drive, sometimes we like to rely on their transportation. We've never had trouble getting in and out of parking lots, so in my own experience, I don't think it is a huge issue.

Rob562

If you have a car and don't mind driving, driving to the theme parks can be faster than the Disney bus to all parks except the Magic Kingdom. At the MK the bus drops you off right by the front of the park. If you drive, you have to park at the TTC parking lot, take a tram and then the monorail or ferry.

At the other parks...
-At Epcot and Studios if you're within the line of trees through the middle of the lot it's probably faster to walk to the park entrance. But if you're farther out than the line of trees, the tram is best.
-At Animal Kingdom the lot is laid out really oddly, and the tram lane isn't a straight line toward the park entrance. So following it on-foot to lead you to the park entrance will be a very long walk. Definitely take the tram.

-Rob

Last edited:
Taking the bus is a joke. You might want to look into joining AAA because then you would be eligible for Diamond Parking which is closer to the front. These are first come, first serve and I don't know if there are blackout dates or not during the high season.

Rob562

Taking the bus is a joke. You might want to look into joining AAA because then you would be eligible for Diamond Parking which is closer to the front. These are first come, first serve and I don't know if there are blackout dates or not during the high season.

Being a AAA member doesn't automatically qualify you for the Diamond Parking. You typically only get them if you book your trip through AAA, though I've read a few instances of people getting the pass just from buying their Disney tickets from the AAA office.

-Rob

SAV

Our trips are normally in June and I drive to every park. Factor in the time waiting for the bus, stopping at all of the bus stops, sitting with sweaty strangers cramped on the bus vs. the ability to get back to my room at the end of the day without waiting, sitting by stinky strangers, cramped, etc it's a no brainer for us.

I'm not of the opinion that I'm on vacation and I don't want to drive. I prefer the freedom.

MK is the only park that I would consider doing a bus for, but then I would miss the monorail ride(which can be cramped with stinky strangers too, I know).

slappy magoo

If you're the type of person to go back to your room during the afternoon and the head back to one of the parks (whether it's the same park or you're hopping), You could consider using a bus during the day and then driving at night. DHS, AK and ESPECIALLY Epcot lots tend to open up considerably in the mid/late afternoon or evening. We would have reservations for a dinner at Epcot and routinely park within the first 10-12 rows of the lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom