Getting Around WDW during Thanksgiving week

historybuff

Original Poster
This is our first time driving to WDW, and we will be staying onsite (All-Star Movies). I have done lots of searching, but I can't find a good answer anywhere to the specific questions I have. We are a party of 4, including a 4yo and 6yo, and are planning on having a single stroller.

We have heard (several times) that taking the bus to MK is usually a good idea. Although we will have our own car, I'm currently leaning in that direction. We are seriously considering driving to the other parks. However...

Since Thanksgiving week is so busy (we plan to arrive on Monday, and leave on Friday), will driving to DHS, Epcot, and AK likely save us any time? Are there distinct advantages? I'm not at ALL familiar with traffic around WDW or Orlando in general. Again, we're staying onsite, and not planning on going off site until we leave.

A more specific question, and another big concern: Since we're staying at ASM, if we drive our car to any parks, is there any risk of us NOT being able to find a parking space when we return, especially since WDW is supposedly so busy through the entire week?

Thanks for any help!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This is our first time driving to WDW, and we will be staying onsite (All-Star Movies). I have done lots of searching, but I can't find a good answer anywhere to the specific questions I have. We are a party of 4, including a 4yo and 6yo, and are planning on having a single stroller.

We have heard (several times) that taking the bus to MK is usually a good idea. Although we will have our own car, I'm currently leaning in that direction. We are seriously considering driving to the other parks. However...

Since Thanksgiving week is so busy (we plan to arrive on Monday, and leave on Friday), will driving to DHS, Epcot, and AK likely save us any time? Are there distinct advantages? I'm not at ALL familiar with traffic around WDW or Orlando in general. Again, we're staying onsite, and not planning on going off site until we leave.

A more specific question, and another big concern: Since we're staying at ASM, if we drive our car to any parks, is there any risk of us NOT being able to find a parking space when we return, especially since WDW is supposedly so busy through the entire week?

Thanks for any help!
I would second the recommendation for taking the bus to MK, because it will drop you off directly at the park. As for the other parks, it's a tough call. If you're there early, perhaps some of the closer spots will be open, and then trying to manage everything into your own car will make the day easier. But it will indeed get busier as the week progresses,

As for parking at ASM, I would think you'll be ok. But I've never stayed there before, so perhaps someone who has can answer that one better than I....

Last edited:

fugawe09

This really boils down to timing. All-Star to MK buses are very crowded near park open and right after the fireworks. But then again so is the auto plaza and monorail, so maybe its six of one half a dozen of the other. So pretty much just budget some time and patience to do a little waiting if those are the times you are going.

I would take the bus to DHS. It's an aggravating parking lot that time of year. Epcot and DAK have fairly easy parking lots even during the holidays but those buses aren't bad either. Kind of depends on your family. I prefer to relax and let someone else do the driving. But I've seen plenty of families with an exhausted 4 year old go into total meltdown mode in the bus.

Parking is not an issue at All Star.

historybuff

Original Poster
Thanks SO much for the replies. We'd be interested to hear others' comments still, too, but these replies have really helped. As per the All-Star parking issue, we just heard (in a round-about way) that All-Star Movies is STILL not completely booked for Thanksgiving week, and--for that matter--MOST if not ALL of the resorts still have rooms available... I was under the impression that the parks and resorts were PACKED during Thanksgiving week...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom