Getting a dvc resort with RCI points

montyz81

Original Poster
Ok I have plenty of points, enough for Aulani in peak season. I have an ongoing search started since early July. What can I expect to get for a room, what resort, how close to my vacation should I expect to get a DVC resort? The week is April 24th

Last edited:

dreamfinder

I never traded in using points, I traded in using weeks. I think I noticed a bunch of choices pop up at like 10 and 6 months out. Seemed like they gave DVC owners first crack at the dates, and then they would open some up to RCI. Maybe a unit or two for any given week would show as available at a time, and frequently for OKW and SSR. I ended up with a 2BR OKW and a 1BR SSR unit at varying times of the year. Most availability was at OKW and SSR, with a random week showing up somewhere else.

montyz81

Original Poster
I never traded in using points, I traded in using weeks. I think I noticed a bunch of choices pop up at like 10 and 6 months out. Seemed like they gave DVC owners first crack at the dates, and then they would open some up to RCI. Maybe a unit or two for any given week would show as available at a time, and frequently for OKW and SSR. I ended up with a 2BR OKW and a 1BR SSR unit at varying times of the year. Most availability was at OKW and SSR, with a random week showing up somewhere else.
Sorry, I meant weeks. I have a week that is converted into points in RCI's system

Donfan

Wait. I'm confused here. You have DVC points that you have converted to RCI points that you want to use to get a DVC reservation? Why not just use the points to get the DVC reservation in the first place?

dreamfinder

Sorry, I meant weeks. I have a week that is converted into points in RCI's system

Yeah, never did that. I just traded a RCI week for a DVC week. Never converted the RCI week into points.

Wait. I'm confused here. You have DVC points that you have converted to RCI points that you want to use to get a DVC reservation? Why not just use the points to get the DVC reservation in the first place?

RCI has properties that use weeks or points. Sometimes you can trade a week into DVC, but they really push you to trade points in. No idea if its a more even trade that way or what. The OP sounds like they had a week that they converted into points when they banked the week. And the value they got for that trade was enough points to do a stay in Aulani during peak (Meaning at least 154 points).

montyz81

Original Poster
I guess I am being really confusing. Sorry guys. I have a week in St Marten. I am a member of RCI's weeks program where I give them that week and they assign a points value to it. The points value in RCI's system is 64 points (Highest number of weeks points you can achieve which is why I said I could get an Aulani week if one were available). With those points, they make a week in another resort available for you to exchange but at a point value. Some places in Orlando go for as low as 5 points (in the weeks system) and some go as high as 64 (again in the weeks system). It all depends on the resort's RCI classification (Gold, Silver, no classification), location and time of year. In this case, I am looking at a DVC resort which tends to be the highest rated, highest point value. I honestly was hoping someone would tell me I could get into BLT, WL DVC, possibly even Poly DVC. I really don't want to go to Saratoga Springs or OKWR as I am trying to get us on the Monorail (I know Wilderness isn't, but it would do just fine in this case). Have people been able to get these resorts ever? I feel like I have done everything possible to give myself the chance to get the best possible DVC resort.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have only heard of people getting into SSR or OKW by trading in with RCI. Sorry, but there has to be availability at that resort, and SSR and OKW have the best chance. It's extremely unlikely that you will ever see a monorail resort available, as I doubt they even allow them from RCI, due to the higher points cost for us DVC members.

epcotisbest

I have only heard of people getting into SSR or OKW by trading in with RCI. Sorry, but there has to be availability at that resort, and SSR and OKW have the best chance. It's extremely unlikely that you will ever see a monorail resort available, as I doubt they even allow them from RCI, due to the higher points cost for us DVC members.
Bay Lake Tower is in RCI and is sorta a monorail resort. Poly villas and GF villas are not currently listed as RCI resorts in the RCI directory.

Last edited:

Rob562

Just a heads-up to the OP to help alleviate confusion, the typical term used with RCI Weeks is "Trading Power" or sometimes abbreviated TPU's (Trading Power...Units?). This keeps it from being confused with RCI Points which operate in a similar fashion as the DVC and its points system (though it's not a one-to-one equivalent points value)

The way that trading into the DVC using RCI Weeks is that it's all determined by how early you start your Ongoing Search. Even though you have the maximum of 64 TPUs, you're not given priority over anyone else that has a deposit worth fewer TPU's if they started their Ongoing Search before you did. It's a first-in-line gets it, as long as they have enough TPUs to "buy" the week at DVC.

The more flexible you can be (in unit size, checkin dates and resort choices) the better your chances of getting a match. If you only give the system a single checkin date at only a few DVC resorts, then you're really gambling with not getting a match at all.

Don't expect a 3-bedroom unit. They almost never get into the RCI system. If you want a 2-bedroom, you'll be most likely to get one at OKW or SSR, as the others have said. If you'd accept a 1-bedroom unit, your chances are higher that you can get it at one of the other resorts.

I've traded into DVC from RCI twice. The first time we got the exact checkin date we needed, and we got a 1-bedroom at the Beach Club Villas. That might've been a bit of a fluke, though, since it was within the first 12 months of DVC swithcing over to the RCI exchange network. I don't recall any of the details of when we started the search and when we matched.

But we also traded into DVC through RCI just last year. We started our Ongoing Search in mid/late January. We needed a two-bedroom unit, would accept any DVC resort, and gave the system a three-week range of check-in dates we'd accept from mid-October through the first weekend of November. (We just wanted to make sure our trip happened during Food & Wine Festival) I think we got a match to our OGS sometime in mid-May, at about the 5 1/2 month mark. It was a 2-bedroom at SSR, with a checkin the Friday of the final week of our date range.

So our match went through with an OGS started 10 months out from the date, giving a three-week acceptable date range. Your OGS was started 9 1/2 months out and seems to be much more restrictive on your dates. You can expect matches to start happening for April in late October, early November, but you also might want to have a backup plan in place in case you don't get what you want.

Edit to add: If you truly want to look into what others are getting for DVC matches compared to when they started their search, I'd suggest checking out the Timeshare Users Group: http://tugbbs.com/forums/ They have a whole sub-forum dedicated to the DVC.
Perhaps consider their cheap paid membership to get access to the specific Sightings forum that gives more details of what people have seen and matched with.

-Rob

montyz81

Original Poster
Just a heads-up to the OP to help alleviate confusion, the typical term used with RCI Weeks is "Trading Power" or sometimes abbreviated TPU's (Trading Power...Units?). This keeps it from being confused with RCI Points which operate in a similar fashion as the DVC and its points system (though it's not a one-to-one equivalent points value)

The way that trading into the DVC using RCI Weeks is that it's all determined by how early you start your Ongoing Search. Even though you have the maximum of 64 TPUs, you're not given priority over anyone else that has a deposit worth fewer TPU's if they started their Ongoing Search before you did. It's a first-in-line gets it, as long as they have enough TPUs to "buy" the week at DVC.

The more flexible you can be (in unit size, checkin dates and resort choices) the better your chances of getting a match. If you only give the system a single checkin date at only a few DVC resorts, then you're really gambling with not getting a match at all.

Don't expect a 3-bedroom unit. They almost never get into the RCI system. If you want a 2-bedroom, you'll be most likely to get one at OKW or SSR, as the others have said. If you'd accept a 1-bedroom unit, your chances are higher that you can get it at one of the other resorts.

I've traded into DVC from RCI twice. The first time we got the exact checkin date we needed, and we got a 1-bedroom at the Beach Club Villas. That might've been a bit of a fluke, though, since it was within the first 12 months of DVC swithcing over to the RCI exchange network. I don't recall any of the details of when we started the search and when we matched.

But we also traded into DVC through RCI just last year. We started our Ongoing Search in mid/late January. We needed a two-bedroom unit, would accept any DVC resort, and gave the system a three-week range of check-in dates we'd accept from mid-October through the first weekend of November. (We just wanted to make sure our trip happened during Food & Wine Festival) I think we got a match to our OGS sometime in mid-May, at about the 5 1/2 month mark. It was a 2-bedroom at SSR, with a checkin the Friday of the final week of our date range.

So our match went through with an OGS started 10 months out from the date, giving a three-week acceptable date range. Your OGS was started 9 1/2 months out and seems to be much more restrictive on your dates. You can expect matches to start happening for April in late October, early November, but you also might want to have a backup plan in place in case you don't get what you want.

Edit to add: If you truly want to look into what others are getting for DVC matches compared to when they started their search, I'd suggest checking out the Timeshare Users Group: http://tugbbs.com/forums/ They have a whole sub-forum dedicated to the DVC.
Perhaps consider their cheap paid membership to get access to the specific Sightings forum that gives more details of what people have seen and matched with.

-Rob
This was very helpful. The only problem I have is the check-in dates. I have been pretty firm for the last 10 years that I would not pull my son out of school for a vacation. He struggles in school to get B's so taking him out just one week would actually slip that average significantly. I have my search currently at a 1 bedroom for the very last week in April. My backup plan would be to get a resort stay at Bonnet Creek or Vistana, they always have stuff available and they are very close. We will see how it goes then, not much else I can do but wait and see. Thank you again for your help. Also, I am on the Tugbbs and it is good but heard to find many post with this situation in mind

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My cousin has traded in through RCI on several occasions. She just got back from staying at SSR on a trade-in. She did get BCV once in a 1BR but that was a while ago. She wanted BLT this year but couldn't get it. Usually I think around 6 months out is when the rooms show up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom