German Restaurant

Bairstow

I really like Biergarten.
The food is simple but tasty, especially the pretzel rolls and spatzl, the show is entertaining, and the building does that cool indoor nighttime thing WED does so well.
I didn't mind being seated with strangers, but I would have preferred it if our tablemates had drunk and talked a little more.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Haha, I totally feel you on the awkward people. Why are there so many of them? I am constantly seated with strange people at Teppan Edo. They are never loud or obnoxious, but always a little strange. Like this 7 year kid that ordered Swordfish. I'm like, what? Or the families just seem strange. Like you kind of can't figure out the situation.

Another time we were asked what religion we follow by some Bible beater from Alabama. I'm like, uhm, ok...not talking to you anymore.

Its defiantly a cultural issue with some people to dine communally. If you're from the South and Southern , its no more different than a church social or community get together. If you're irritated by different cultural norms I wouldn't suggest those which force you to be exposed to them in close proximity. We've met lots of wonderful people that way.

Weather_Lady

It's one of my family's favorite restaurants. The communal seating hasn't been an issue for us. In some cases, we've been seated with friendly folks who want to chat with us and compare notes (ironically, although part of the fun of communal seating is meeting people from other places, we almost always seem to end up next to fellow New York state residents!): other times, we just smile when we're seated and pretty much ignore each other after that -- we just take the cue from our seatmates. (Most WDW restaurants are so crowded, it's like you're sitting with your neighbors anyway. You get used to it.) :)

The food is really terrific, and there is ample variety to please even those for whom sausages, sauerkraut, spaetzle and schnitzel aren't exciting, including fresh salads and soups, and even some standard American fare. My family likes to dig right in to the German comfort food, however, and we've never been disappointed. The live entertainment is also rousing and fun, especially if you have a beer in hand, and aesthetically, it's one of the most beautiful and evocative restaurant interiors you'll find in Epcot.

JillC LI

Great food. Great fun. Similar to the authentic German beer halls my hubby and I visited on our honeymoon in Bavaria.

Chef Mickey

Its defiantly a cultural issue with some people to dine communally. If you're from the South and Southern , its no more different than a church social or community get together. If you're irritated by different cultural norms I wouldn't suggest those which force you to be exposed to them in close proximity. We've met lots of wonderful people that way.
Good for you...I'm not going to meet lifelong friends at Teppan Edo and there is definitely a right and a wrong way to behave with strangers. I don't have issues with dining communally and am married to a woman from another country, so it's not like I have a cultural barrier.

Some people are just flat weird and/or rude/awkward/socially stupid. It's not cultural in many cases.

TXDisney

Food quality is good. But kinda pricey for a Buffett in my opinion. I prefer a lot other restaurants in Epcot, but Biergarten is still good.

Barbosa

Had a great time there. The type of food was not my preference, but the atmosphere and German beer was great.
I was there end of september and was selected to go onstage with the band as mayor and tap the keg.
Just a tip, don't have too much beer and then go do Mission Space Orange Team :hungover:

Polydweller

This a restaurant where you can either have a great time or your table mates can make it awful. If you have one of the later like we did the last time it can be a horrid meal. We tried to engage our table mates but they were so angry about having people seated with them that they just ruined the night. If it's filled and you can't move your dinner is basically over before it starts.

We won't go back simply because there are better places at Disney where you don't have any concern about the horrid possibility.

DisneyJunkie

Biergarten quickly became one of the "must do" dining reservations on our WDW trips. Even my wife, who isn't particularly partial to buffets really enjoys the food there. The entertainment is also nice as well. My only minor issue is that you can't seem to get a table by yourself unless you're a big party, because they make guests share a table.

AmiB

We had a great time both times we went. One time our table mates had family in the little bitty town where we live in KY. It's a small world when you talk to people!

Dwarful

It has been a must do since our honeymoon. We have only had one bad experience, but it was a wait staff issue with our group. One trip when the girls were little, 3,7 & 9, the couple that shared our table started off as awkward...until the waitress came to get our drink order. My husband order the beer flight, the girls and I all had root beer. The guy looked over and said 'You don't have an issue with people drinking in front of your girls?' my husband said "Nope, and if we did, we'd be pretty dumb to bring them to a Biergarten. That would be our problem, not theirs" That lightened the mood and pretty much set everyone at ease. Usually I try to be the first person to speak at the table to break the ice. Basic non-threatening stuff like 'what's been your favorite thing today" or 'where are you from, where are you staying' etc,

tigger1968

Great food, great beer, and a lot of fun entertainment. It's a must do for us every trip. I agree that the group seating can be either challenging or a lot of fun. We have had some really cool table mates and some really wooden ones. If they don't want to chat, they get ignored and I get back to stuffing myself. :D

Another time we were asked what religion we follow by some Bible beater from Alabama. I'm like, uhm, ok...not talking to you anymore.

I live in Alabama, and trust me...that nonsense happens here IN Alabama....totally annoying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom