George McGinnis dies

HMF

I can see Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, I suppose, and even Stan Lee. But Julie Taymor? Oprah? Over some others that should be? No.
What does Stan Lee (even tangentially) have to do with Disney? If my memory serves me correctly, He was out of Marvel LONG before the acquisition.

WDW1974

I can see Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, I suppose, and even Stan Lee. But Julie Taymor? Oprah? Over some others that should be? No.

I can easily argue that Julie did more Disney work than the others. ... Carrie was used minimally (not nearly enough) in TFA and Mark was in it for 60 seconds with not one word spoken. And Stan Lee?!

I was so hoping to hear one Disney great come out with a story about how they were reading a Spidey or Fantastic Four comic in 1964 and Walt walked by and blurted out some expletive about the Marvel characters while puffing on a smoke just to upset the "since December of 2009 Marvel fans".

Kman101

I can agree about Marvel/Stan Lee. That's to appeal to the Marvel fans IMHO, not that he doesn't deserve recognition, but a Disney legend? Already?

I admit I don't really know a lot of what Julie did, for whatever reason, and I'm usually good about that. I should go look up her work. I'm sure I know a lot of it. I know of a couple of things but I didn't realize she was that much of a Disney person, so shame on me I guess, LOL. I'm sure she 'deserves' it, but there are others who probably should have been recognized first but that's just me.

As for Carrie and Mark, Mark's been pretty loyal over the decades. I don't think it matters how much screentime they had in TFA. But I too think maybe that's just to appeal to the fans of SW. I'm one of them but not like their core fanbase. I'm not THAT into it. I enjoy the movies for what they are.

I just don't see how Oprah deserves it. OPRAH? Seriously?

Kman101

Mark's at least done some voice acting stuff at Disney the last few years.

Yeah. He's been fairly loyal to the company overall so I can see that one.

I get people are sort of against the Star Wars/Marvel acquisitions, and Spirit has a point that so many became fans after the fact (I was a fan before ...), but there seems to be such resentment against them (by some, not all). Star Wars has been in Disney parks since the late 80s. To me it's always been in the family. And Marvel counter-acts the Princess-fest it was becoming (and I love most princess movies too). I personally don't mind them. It shouldn't be at the expense of developing other Disney properties but what's so bad about them? Not everyone is going to like everything so I get it, and I still haven't seen most of the Marvel movies, to tell you the truth ... where does the dislike really stem from? Just curious ...

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Yeah. He's been fairly loyal to the company overall so I can see that one.

I get people are sort of against the Star Wars/Marvel acquisitions, and Spirit has a point that so many became fans after the fact (I was a fan before ...), but there seems to be such resentment against them (by some, not all). Star Wars has been in Disney parks since the late 80s. To me it's always been in the family. And Marvel counter-acts the Princess-fest it was becoming (and I love most princess movies too). I personally don't mind them. It shouldn't be at the expense of developing other Disney properties but what's so bad about them? Not everyone is going to like everything so I get it, and I still haven't seen most of the Marvel movies, to tell you the truth ... where does the dislike really stem from? Just curious ...
It stems from the old this is no longer 1955 syndrome. That said, and not being a particularly ardent, over the top, fan of any of it, George is a random name to most Disney fans, (other then the eat, sleep and live Disney people) Honestly, this is the first I have ever heard his name mentioned. However, I think he deserves the recognition far more then Carrie, Mark, Stan and certainly Oprah. Oprah really? Anyway, since he just passed away, perhaps the next go around with the Legend naming will include him. The others are just name recognition at the moment.

Omnispace

To get this thread appropriately back to George.....

George was definitely one of those who would discourage the legend / celebrity status and was always emphasizing that it takes more than one single individual to put together a great show. For any of those here who were involved with "The Horizons Tribute" on Yahoo Groups late 1999 through 2000, the shock and disbelief that Disney would shutter and then demolish one of their premier attractions at Epcot was palpable in the outcry of those who posted there. George didn't participate until several years later but in his posts there he emphasized his positive outlook that it was our fortune that Horizons was allowed to exist for as long as it did and he realized that in time things come to an end and we must move on to meet the next challenge. It's no doubt he was a talented designer but I think that his inclusiveness and generosity to those he worked with, and to those following him, are what made him stand out as an exceptional person in my mind.

Figments Friend

This is, indeed, more sad news. One more piece of the great WED/WDI puzzle gone.

And what bothers me is he hasn't been named a Disney Legend yet ... but Oprah, Stan Lee and Luke Skywalker have ... anyone get why I say that Disney really isn't Disney anymore? (BTW, I think the trio I mentioned are greats in their own right, but they aren't Disney Legends, no matter how Bob Iger wants to take credit for their many contributions to entertainment and society).

This, so much.
:(

-

Figments Friend

I admit I don't really know a lot of what Julie did, for whatever reason, and I'm usually good about that. I should go look up her work. I'm sure I know a lot of it. I know of a couple of things but I didn't realize she was that much of a Disney person, so shame on me I guess, LOL.
I'm sure she 'deserves' it, but there are others who probably should have been recognized first but that's just me.

Julie Taymor was heavily involved in the creation of Disney's smash hit Broadway stage production for 'The Lion King'.
Her creative vision regarding the puppets, costumes, unique staging techniques, and set design were creatively stunning and made the show the stand out that it was.
The show was a unique undertaking that stretched the boundaries of staged performance.
A true piece of performance art...and Disney benefitted immensely from it.

She more then deserves the aknowledgement....in my opinion.
More then Oprah and Stan, that's for sure.

-

Kman101

Julie Taymor was heavily involved in the creation of Disney's smash hit Broadway stage production for 'The Lion King'.
Her creative vision regarding the puppets, costumes, unique staging techniques, and set design were creatively stunning and made the show the stand out that it was.
The show was a unique undertaking that stretched the boundaries of staged performance.
A true piece of performance art...and Disney benefitted immensely from it.

She more then deserves the aknowledgement....in my opinion.
More then Oprah and Stan, that's for sure.

-

I, for some reason, forgot all about her with Lion King. I really should have known better. She deserves it then.

But what really makes a "Legend" though? I have to agree with some that they seem to just be handing it out to whoever, whenever. Not saying she really doesn't "deserve" it, but I guess I view legend differently. I guess they consider it what you contributed, not the amount of length you've either been with the company or contributed to it.

I just can't get over Oprah though. Seriously?

Figments Friend

I, for some reason, forgot all about her with Lion King. I really should have known better. She deserves it then.

But what really makes a "Legend" though? I have to agree with some that they seem to just be handing it out to whoever, whenever. Not saying she really doesn't "deserve" it, but I guess I view legend differently. I guess they consider it what you contributed, not the amount of length you've either been with the company or contributed to it.

I just can't get over Oprah though. Seriously?

To me, a 'Disney Legend' is someone who has made a important, memorable, and true lasting impact on the timeless legacy of the Disney Company...and through said organization has made a real significant difference in the world.

Wether that be work related to the Theme Parks, Animated films, studio films, art, music, or staged productions, the common denominator is people who made a real difference and directly influenced the bigger picture.

A real 'Disney Legend' to me are people like Tony Baxter, the Sherman Brothers, Julie Andrews, Glen Keane, Bob Gurr, and the like.

Oprah..?
On tv all those years , has done some good things, but what has she done to directly impact the Disney Company..?
A voice over for a cameo character...?
'Disney Legend' - No.

Stan..?
He's a legend in the comic book world, and deservedly so.
But what has he done to directly impact the Disney Company ...?
Be a figurehead for the Marvel branding...?
'Disney Legend' - No.

-

Figments Friend

Getting back to George....I am indeed sad that he was looked over for Disney Legend status while he was still around.
The man deserved it.

It is dissapointing, exapecially when less then worthy candidates get this tossed their way for questionable reasons.

-

Casper Gutman

Ex Imagineer George McGinnis has died. He was a wonderful guy, always forthcoming with information and stories and a real talent back in WEDs and WDIs hey day.

If you rode Horizons, Indiana Jones Adventure, the US Space Mountains, the WEDWay, the Grand Prix raceway, the MK 4-6 monorails or Dreamflight then George had a hand in them. To name just a few.

RIP.

Through several of those rides, he contributed to some of the happiest moments of my childhood.

I wish I could have thanked him in person.

The Empress Lilly

Did George McGinnis design the Space Mountain Home of Future Living segment?

I'm asking because the close resemblance to Horizons only really dawned on me now.

(What better way to honour the deceased than to keep their legacy alive!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom