George McGinnis dies

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ex Imagineer George McGinnis has died. He was a wonderful guy, always forthcoming with information and stories and a real talent back in WEDs and WDIs hey day.

If you rode Horizons, Indiana Jones Adventure, the US Space Mountains, the WEDWay, the Grand Prix raceway, the MK 4-6 monorails or Dreamflight then George had a hand in them. To name just a few.

RIP.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Ex Imagineer George McGinnis has died. He was a wonderful guy, always forthcoming with information and stories and a real talent back in WEDs and WDIs hey day.

If you rode Horizons, Indiana Jones Adventure, the US Space Mountains, the WEDWay, the Grand Prix raceway, the MK 4-6 monorails or Dreamflight then George had a hand in them. To name just a few.

RIP.

This one is a gut punch - the whole day has been actually. Don Rickles, George McGinnis, and wogwog.

I remember hanging on every word of the multi-part articles Mr. McGinnis wrote regarding Horizons in addition to his work on the monorails. Amazing stuff, amazing life.

For anyone interested, he released his autobiography last year, From Horizons to Space Mountain: The Life of a Disney Imagineer. I ordered my copy moments ago.

Godspeed, and many thanks Mr. McGinnis.

Virtual Toad

On top of all the other news today, this hits home. It's as if optimism itself has passed away. Horizons was the crown jewel of Imagineering's achievements and the ultimate embodiment of Walt Disney's outlook for the future. Horizons was the heart and soul of everything WDW stood for back in the day.

History may show that WDW, at its peak, was a success not because of the place itself but because of the talents of a select and visionary group of artists, whose work made a powerful personal connection to millions of people. George McGinnis was a genius and a dreamer whose work influenced countless lives.

The world is worse off for his passing... but so much better for his contributions. Thank you Mr. McGinnis and RIP. You will be missed.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
On top of all the other news today, this hits home. It's as if optimism itself has passed away. Horizons was the crown jewel of Imagineering's achievements and the ultimate embodiment of Walt Disney's outlook for the future. Horizons was the heart and soul of everything WDW stood for back in the day.

History may show that WDW, at its peak, was a success not because of the place itself but because of the talents of a select and visionary group of artists, whose work made a powerful personal connection to millions of people. George McGinnis was a genius and a dreamer whose work influenced countless lives.

The world is worse off for his passing... but so much better for his contributions. Thank you Mr. McGinnis and RIP. You will be missed.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

the.dreamfinder

New tribute article from Disney & More
oo0eod-georgemcginnis5.jpg

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2017/04/legendary-imagineer-george-mcginnis.html?m=1

Figments Friend

Alas, the time comes to us all...but it's always a sad day when a talent like this passes on.
George did a lot to enchance the Theme Parks and beyond.

Some other works include designing the robotic characters for the film 'The Black Hole' as well as a few side projects outside of Disney related to transportation.

After all that hard work, George, you deserve a rest.
Peace.

-

RoysCabin

The last Imagineer personally hired by Walt, no?

Such a sad passing, but like so many other Imagineers he enjoyed a long, productive, fulfilling run. Can't wait to read his book one of these days.

WDW1974

This is, indeed, more sad news. One more piece of the great WED/WDI puzzle gone.

And what bothers me is he hasn't been named a Disney Legend yet ... but Oprah, Stan Lee and Luke Skywalker have ... anyone get why I say that Disney really isn't Disney anymore? (BTW, I think the trio I mentioned are greats in their own right, but they aren't Disney Legends, no matter how Bob Iger wants to take credit for their many contributions to entertainment and society).

Kman101

I can see Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, I suppose, and even Stan Lee. But Julie Taymor? Oprah? Over some others that should be? No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom