general store grocery prices.......

ajmellu7

Original Poster
Hi guys, bit of a strange one, but does anybody know how much things like milk are at the general stores. Am staying at Old Key West in August and don't have a car for the first few days, so not going to be going out to Walmart etc to get supplies. I know that you can get things delivered to the resort from garden grocers etc, but coming over from England and to be honest, as we have all our meals booked, we only need little things like water and milk and having looked at the prices on some delivery sites, it would probably make more sense to just buy the milk we need for tea and coffee onsite. Just wondering if anybody knew of how much things were or anywhere where there was a list of prices?

Thanks in advance

nickys

Premium Member
From the DVC ordering sheets, I picked out a few things.

Milk 1/2 gallon 3.49
Milk quart. 2.79
Coffee instant (maxwell house) 2oz 4.95
Filter coffee 12oz 12.95
Filters (50) 1.95
Tea bags (20) 5.95

Chocolate chip cookies 12oz 3.79
Orange juice no pulp 11.5 oz 3.79
With pulp 59 oz oz 5.19
Coke 20oz 2.99
Coke 6 cans 8.00
Water Dasani 24 pack 6.3

If you want breakfast things, or pizza, let me know. But this will give you an idea.

We always just put in an order to cover the first couple of days, then head out to shops. But resort store is fine for odd stuff. I always bring tea bags lol. Oh, you can ask for a kettle from housekeeping, or even when you check in!

ajmellu7

Original Poster
Thats great, thanks for that, really gives me an idea what to expect when we get there!

Can we order stuff before we go then?

nickys

Premium Member
Thats great, thanks for that, really gives me an idea what to expect when we get there!

Can we order stuff before we go then?

If you are a DVC member then yes. Otherwise not through Disney but you can put orders in through on-line stores. We considered this for our last trip, but in the end it was a bit of a hassle if you wanted any beer or wine (having to fax through id in advance etc), so we just did the DVC order instead for the basics.

The names of them escape me now, someone can probably chime in, or I'll post when I remember them! But there's a Publix very close to Disney that we use all the time. Reasonable selection including meat, frozen stuff, fruit, and reasonable prices. You'll have a good sized fridge at OKW plus a freezer section. We usually do a couple of trips over 2 weeks, and get stuff like milk onsite if necessary. But you can get eggs, bacon, bread, jam, pizza etc onsite too if you want. They do have a decent selection at DVC resorts at least. 4 pizzas and dough balls for less than the cost of 2 QS meals isn't too shabby after all.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Amazon Pantry does, but not sure if the Orlando area has Amazon Grocery for fresh foods. One thing to consider - apparently any packages to be delivered to guests staying at a WDW resort now go to a central depot, not your resort - you then have to ask to have them delivered to your resort. Hope this wouldn't affect Amazon Grocery.

Yes, OP, there is a Publix no more than 10 minutes from Disney. It's the Lakeside Village Center Publix. I'm sure an Uber driver can find it for you. Nice thing is no driving on I-4 or any of the other congested roads around WDW. And you get to drive by the maintenance building for the monorail!

correcaminos

Publix now does Instacart with one free delivery. I am considering using that instead of driving myself. Otherwise delivery is $5.99 if over $35 or $9.99 if under. You can also shop from Costco, Whole Foods, and ABC Fine Wine & Sprits. We will get some milk from the marketplaces because it isn't too far off price wise for us with going to the local store.

I too looked for wine prices for DVC and found a list from Saratoga that was about a year and a half old.
Blackstone Merlot $14.95
Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot $13.95
Conchay Toro Marques de Casa Concha $22.95
BV Cabernet Sauvignon $11.95
Parker Station Pinot Noir $18.95
Banfi Chianti Superiore $13.95
Once Upon a Vine - Red Blend $13.95

Weather_Lady

If you only need a couple of things, I'd just buy from the on-site store at your resort - yes, that half-gallon of milk will cost more than you'd pay for a full gallon at home, but the convenience is worth a couple of extra dollars if you're not looking to stock a full pantry. (We always bring dry foodstuffs like cereal and fruit with us, and stop into our Disney resort's shop for a jug of milk on our first day, so we can have breakfast in our hotel room each morning.) If you needed a large number of items and wanted the freedom to select them yourself and pay real-world prices, another option might be to hire a private towncar to get you from the airport to your resort (which would cost $55+, including tip - you can visit orlandshuttleservice.com to compare prices and reviews for several companies at once). Almost all of the town car companies will give you a 30-minute grocery store stop en route, on request.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From the DVC ordering sheets, I picked out a few things.

Milk 1/2 gallon 3.49
Milk quart. 2.79
Coffee instant (maxwell house) 2oz 4.95
Filter coffee 12oz 12.95
Filters (50) 1.95
Tea bags (20) 5.95

Chocolate chip cookies 12oz 3.79
Orange juice no pulp 11.5 oz 3.79
With pulp 59 oz oz 5.19
Coke 20oz 2.99
Coke 6 cans 8.00
Water Dasani 24 pack 6.3

If you want breakfast things, or pizza, let me know. But this will give you an idea.

We always just put in an order to cover the first couple of days, then head out to shops. But resort store is fine for odd stuff. I always bring tea bags lol. Oh, you can ask for a kettle from housekeeping, or even when you check in!

Those prices are more expensive than a local grocery store. I can get an 11 oz bottle of OJ for around $1.50 at my Publix - sometimes even cheaper when they run a 10 for $10.....

As others have posted, take an Uber to the nearest Publix.

steffib

we also travel over from the UK and have used garden grocer. Was a great service, everything there at the Poly when we arrived. We bought fruit, water, milk some cereal and the all important beer. we found that beer from the resort shops were very expensive compared to buying a 6 or 12 bottle pack from GG and putting in the fridge. then once the kids were in bed in the evening we relaxed on the balcony with a beer and didn't have to pay $8ish a bottle (case of 6 from GG was about $1-$15).
Hope this helps

correcaminos

Those prices are more expensive than a local grocery store. I can get an 11 oz bottle of OJ for around $1.50 at my Publix - sometimes even cheaper when they run a 10 for $10.....

As others have posted, take an Uber to the nearest Publix.
Don't even do that. Use Instacart with Publix and get the first delivery free.

If we need one or two items we get it from the marketplaces or if we run out of milk as prices for some things aren't too bad, but for larger amounts there are much better options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom