Game of Thrones - Season 6

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm not sure if she will at this point. Were kind of past her point in the book story line.

Everything happening in the Riverlands right now is from the forth book. I'm not saying she will show but it does leave an opening.

It would make sense to have skipped her so that Jon's resurrection had more weight.

What is going on with Dorne? We just dropped them after episode one. They completely wasted the amazing Sand Snakes from the books.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The teaser for next week looks gooood

Arya getting attacked like that was lame and so out of character. She has to know they would kill her. And you don't survive multiple GUT stab wounds... Intestines cut = certain death

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The teaser for next week looks gooood

Arya getting attacked like that was lame and so out of character. She has to know they would kill her. And you don't survive multiple GUT stab wounds... Intestines cut = certain death
Yeah something weird is going on with the Arya story. I think everything is not as it seems.

RobUK

Yeah, agree about Arya. It's all a bit weird. There's a few storylines where they've gotten to a point that something dramatic is going to have to happen to progress it.

acishere

Maybe. She didn't bother to tell Jon she had sent for more troops. Also do you really think she knows what she is get into with Little Finger?
Well between Arya falling for the worst disguise ever, Jon not listening to Sansa and charging the Boltons, and former contender Rickon pulling a Prometheus and running in a straight line, the bar is pretty low.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Running from a bowman in a straight line ... I didn't realize they had the Darwin awards in westeros

But between that and an army that gets surrounded ON FOOT by a conga line...I'm not sure who wins between these amazing writing failures

But wow what a battle sequence for the show. Hard to believe how far they've come from the early seasons where they wouldn't even attempt battles but just show the aftermath.

MississippiBelle

Last night's episode was one of my favorites. It's the only episode in the entire show that I said "I want to watch that again" in the credits. The way it was shot felt like a high budget movie. Granted, there were some weird issues (Ramsey using war tactics from the Roman empire and being the only one in Westeros history that we know of to do so? Sansa sitting in on the war counsel meeting and getting bent out of shape because no one directly asked her for her opinion? Take charge girl! She had the saving strategy and she just sat on her hands because she was mad) Still, one of the top episodes. This good fortune can't last for long, but it's fun to ride out the high while it lasts. ALSO, can we talk about how awesome Melisandre's character arc is? I think she has become such a likable character now, even if she's done some pretty messed up things to get to this point.

jrogue

Yeah it really frustrated me that Sansa didn't tell Jon she had contacted Littlefinger for more troops. It probably would have made him wait to attack, and probably would have helped him out significantly. Not as many people would have died. Ramsay definitely got what he deserved, and POOR RICKON. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was like WHY is he running in a straight line, did no one ever teach him otherwise?? But then I remembered when the Ned stuff went down he was pretty young so probably no one ever taught him.

I'm liking Sansa's story for the most part, aside from her keeping some secrets. Then again, she and Jon were never close and a lot of messed up stuff has happened to her so I don't fully blame her for keeping stuff to herself. Littlefinger won't give help like that without expecting something in return, though ... so we'll see what that is next week I'm assuming!

Jahona

Original Poster
That episode has to be one of the most intense episodes of GoT yet. The amount of gore and chaos on the field of battle was insane. I'm still more in awe of that battle and the loss of Wun Wun, the last Giant, than I am the happiness of Ramsey Bolton finely getting justice.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ramsey using war tactics from the Roman empire and being the only one in Westeros history that we know of to do so?

Remember.. there is no Roman history in Westeros :)

The idea of using a tactic that the Free Men has never seen.. and Jon being too inexperienced to know how to counter is a very solid story point. The postulation they simply marched around them in a conga line and slowly encircled them in a 50 yrd circle tho... that was super fantasy. (never mind the 25ft tall wall of bodies)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was like WHY is he running in a straight line, did no one ever teach him otherwise?? But then I remembered when the Ned stuff went down he was pretty young so probably no one ever taught him.

It's like catching a ball tho... everyone knows things falling fall on a predictable path. Nothing to do with war fighting or even bows.. they know you shoot and aim and it takes a long time for an arrow to land.

I'm liking Sansa's story for the most part, aside from her keeping some secrets. Then again, she and Jon were never close and a lot of messed up stuff has happened to her so I don't fully blame her for keeping stuff to herself

Yeah, I see that gap and this lack of disclosure tieing into that past and of course being a point of friction between them going forward. The together, but not in unison, kind of plot line between them and their retaking of the north. Then throw Littlefinger's manipulation in there.. and we have lots of more book chapters :D

MississippiBelle

Remember.. there is no Roman history in Westeros :)

My point exactly! I read an interview with the director that said he used the battle between the Romans and Hannibal as inspiration for the main battle scene. The tactics used by Ramsey seem pretty similar to the tactics used by the Romans in that battle (I totally googled it to see if it was similar. I don't have any outstanding knowledge on Roman warfare! ;))

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The show runners said the battle was based on several real battles including battles from the American civil war where people literally had to climb over piles of bodies. Agincourt which took place between the French and English in 1415 and Cannae between the Romans and Hannibal in 216 BC. They also studied Alexander the Great's battle strategies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My point exactly! I read an interview with the director that said he used the battle between the Romans and Hannibal as inspiration for the main battle scene. The tactics used by Ramsey seem pretty similar to the tactics used by the Romans in that battle (I totally googled it to see if it was similar. I don't have any outstanding knowledge on Roman warfare! ;))

Yes, the tortoise formation with blades or long spears between the shield wall were military tactics that trained militaries came up with in the ancient times that really made it difficult for less organized units that relied on melee battle to defeat.

So it's perfectly fitting for an 'experienced, trained military' vs a wilding army. Just how they got there was then 'srsly?' moment :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom