Galveston Island - Info for potential cruisers!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Yep yep yep! The Disney Magic will be sailing out of Galveston, TX starting on 9/22! ((I'm planning to meet other Disney cruise fans at the pier to welcome her which I'll report on later.)) Anywhoo, Galveston is a half hour or less from where I live now. A few weeks ago hubby & I took a drive to go look around by the cruise terminal so I could scope out places to watch the Magic arrive. I ended up taking lots of pics to share with potential cruisers who might have questions as to what's where on the island. Last Saturday we took the kiddos + a friend to Schlitterbahn / Galveston Island for the day. We took more pics of the waterpark and surrounding area from inside the park that I think could be helpful for anyone planning to spend a few days in Galveston pre- or post- cruise.

Without any futher adeiu, let's get the info rolling!

How will you get to the port? If you don't already live fairly close we'll assume you will fly in. Houston is a short drive up I-45 from Galveston and has 2 large commercial airports. First there'sGeorge Bush Intercontinental (IAH) on the north side of Houston. This is the larger of the 2 airports and has international flights coming/going every day. If you fly Continental/United this is your airport. ((Used to be a major hub for Continental but not sure what the status is since the United buyout & subsequent changes.)) Sounds all kinds of great until you find out that this airport is on the opposite side of Houston from where you want to be. To get from IAH to Galveston you'll need to travel thru the middle of the city which can be a very bad thing depending on day of week, time of day, status of frequent closures, and accidents/breakdowns/traffic. In ideal conditions with nobody on the road and no snags you're still looking at an hour or more travel time. The second of the aiports is William P. Hobby (HOU) on the southeast side of Houston. This is a smaller airport but not tiny by any means. A number of carriers fly in here. If you are a Southwest flyer then this is your airport because it's a hub for the airline. It's located muuuuch closer to Galveston. In ideal traffic conditions you're looking at half an hour drive down I-45 to the island. I wouldn't recommend staying at any of the hotels in the immediate area around this airport because it's not the nicest part of town.

I'm not sure what DCL is doing for transportation to/from the airports. I've heard conflicting info on this. Some people say they're only offering transfers from IAH but I can't imagine them driving right past HOU and not stopping to pick up more passengers. I've also read that DCL will be offering transfers from both airports. There's not as much as Port Canaveral in the way of booking private transfers via limo services. I assure you that driving isn't all that daunting if you prepare yourself ahead of time with printed out routes & maps.

Hotels. If you're coming in early which most people seem to do (wisely) I would highly recommend staying down in Galveston. You're closer to the port and the accommodations there are geared towards vacationing visitors. I've read that DCL is listing the historic Hotel Galvez as a host hotel where they will have an information desk set up and offer shuttles. Here's a pic I took while we drove along the seawall on a very busy beach day:

file-13.jpg

It's really a beautiful, historic hotel. I've never stayed there but I've always wanted to.

If you don't want to spring for the Galvez there's lots of other hotels in a miriad of price ranges all along Seawall Blvd. many of which offer cruise terminal transfers. Why? Because DCL is sort of a late-comer to sailing out of Galveston. Carnival sails 2 ships (one of which is the big, new Carnival Magic). Royal Caribbean is on their way back this fall with the Mariner of the Seas. I believe there are a few others that also port from here. Seawall Blvd. is correctly named because it follows along the sea wall. Literally. There's a sidewalk then the "wall" drops down to the beach below. See?

file-17.jpg

Please don't come here thinking Galveston has beaches similar to the beautiful, crystal blue waters cruisers are so spoiled to. The water is more like a Yoohoo drink with all the river silt that's infused. The sand is not white, it's brown. There's plenty of folks who partake of the water & beach but I can tell you my family is not one of them. We go visit relatives in Florida and enjoy the pristine beaches there.

Another fantastic hotel along Seawall is the San Luis Resort. Jim Cantore broadcasted from the San Luis for Hurricane Ike in 2008. Fuuuuuun.

file-16.jpg

Then there's my family's personal favorite: The Hilton Galveston Island. We've stayed here twice on weekend getaways when we lived further away and it was fantastic both times. We love it here.

file-19.jpg

One reason we love the Hilton so much is because the location has some serious perks. See the building structure to the right side of this picture? This is the little complex that has some fun places to eat, one of which might sound familiar to the WDW afficianados: Rainforest Cafe! Except this Rainforest has a Build-a-Bear and a river raft ride inside it. Okay, so the raft ride is extreeeemely tame and not up to Disney-standards with the details but it's a fun distraction and gives you a deep appreciation for what Disney does. Also, closer to the street is a Landry's Seafood which is excellent. We've eaten at both of these restaurants more than once and have always enjoyed ourselves immensely. In the area in front of the Rainforest and to the side of Landry's are some fun carnival-type games and an area where you will often find live acts such as jugglers, small bands, etc. It's truly a neat little festive area and it's right next to the Hilton!

file-18.jpg

There's a hotel right next to the cruise terminal, too. I can't say anything about this hotel because I've never been there, only drove by. It's called the Harbor House. My pics don't look anywhere near as nice as what's on their website.

file-5.jpg

Understand, the terminal and the Harbor House are not close to the sea wall. They're sorta on the other side of the island. There's still stuff to do in this area so don't fret. It's not walking distance from one area to the other but even if you took a cab it'd be very inexpensive.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Since we're so close to the terminal now I'm sure you'd like to see what it looks like. Here's some pics:

file.jpg

file-6.jpg

The walk-across you see at the top of the pic leads across the street we were driving on to a parking structure.

Kinda catty-corner to the block where the cruise terminal is one of my personal daily necessities:

file-10.jpg

If you turn to the right by the Starbucks you'll find yourself in the historic downtown shopping/dining district called 'The Strand'. I've not been walking in The Strand for many years personally. Last time was April or May 1995, actually. We drove thru, though, and it's still very nice. Here's some pics I took along the way:

file-8.jpg

file-7.jpg

Aaaand, apparently there's Duck Tours here.

file-9.jpg

Also, not been here but it's right by the port & the Harbor House and I really want to go check it out, there's the Ocean Star Offshore Energy Drilling Rig & Museum that you can go see. In case you weren't already aware oil & refining is biiiig business in this part of the world. Just an FYI. ;)

There's other little distractions and things to see/do in the port area. Be aware that it's right by a pretty industrial area, though, so depending on which way you drive in you may or may not become quite concerned with the scenery. Don't worry. There's nice stuff there. I promise!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Heading back across to the sea wall side of the island we passed by the Bishop's Palace. I love driving around and seeing historic sites such as this grand old building.

file-12.jpg

I think I just love gazing at old homes. The colors, the architecture, the ability for these old places to survive such intense storms as the hurricanes that have come thru this part of the world. I could entertain myself for hours driving slowly up & down the city streets looking at old houses.

file-11.jpg

I guess this is as good a place as any to offer up a little bit of history that is part of what defines Galveston Island. Ever hear the name "The Great Storm"? You'll often hear references to it when weather people are talking about hurricanes. That's the name that refers to the hurricane that destroyed the island in September of 1900. Imagine it. The science for predicting and forecasting hurricanes didn't exist then. People didn't have the ability to be so well-connected like we are now. A massive storm came in during the night. 1/3 of the island was leveled including an orphanage. Contrast if you will the smaller number of casualties we have from hurricanes today...the casualty count for 'The Great Storm' starts at about 6,000 but there isn't a firm number. The sea wall that exists today began as part of the recovery effort of The Great Storm. What's amazing, particularly when you look at the old historic homes on Galveston Island today, is the fact that the elevation of a large portion of the island was raised after the initial portions of the sea wall were built in a continued effort to prevent such devastating loss in the future. Not just a little portion. Full city blocks. It's amazing how this was accomplished so long ago. Do some searching. Prior to the raising of the grade the island averaged 5 - 6 ft. above mean low tide. After the elevation raising this increased to about 22 ft. at the sea wall. So now when you are in Galveston and you see the amazing old homes you will understand that many of them have survived some pretty daunting times, including but not limited to being jacked-up off the ground and a new foundation created at a higher elevation. I'll leave you with a stock picture of the 1900 Storm memorial that's right on Seawall Blvd. I tried to get a pic of it the day we were down taking pics but it was a really busy beach day and there was just no way to get a clear shot.

storm-of-1900-statue-1a.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
More good island stuff!

Prior to Horrible-Cane Ike in 2008 you could go to Galveston and stay at the Flagship Hotel, a hotel that set out over the water on a giant pier.

flagshiphotel.jpg

Well, Ike did a heckuva job on that old place. It was torn down and Landry's (familiar name!) built something new on the pier for everyone to come enjoy. Just this year the brand new Pleasure Pier has opened!

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

We've not been here yet. We're going to wait until the weather cools down before we venture out there but it will be happening. Looks like FUN! And if great big roller coasters out over the top of the Gulf aren't enough excitement for ya, I highly recommend the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. restaurant right there in the front. I've not been to this particular Bubba Gump's but I have been to the location in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It. Is. FUN. Go! And if you have a birthday boy or girl (**cough** VICTIM!) you really need to make sure the staff know about it. Shake your boo-tay! Shake Shake your boo-tay baby! I'm sure my 15 year old niece will never forgive us for the video of her standing on a chair in the middle of the restaurant shakin' what her momma gave her for her birthday dessert. Good times! :cool:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
As if you haven't already had enough fun, let's move further onto island for more excitement. I now offer you the awesome-sauce of..... Schlitterbahn's Galveston Island Waterpark! Unfortunately, the summer 2012 season is almost complete but all is not lost. When the summer (outdoor) season is over there's still the indoor season to be had. Yep, a portion of the park can be enclosed and remains open even in the "winter" months. Don't laugh. We do sorta have winter here. I've even seen it snow here twice! The hubby & I took the kiddos out to Schlitterbahn last Saturday so I have plenty of pics to show you. A big perk of going to a Schlitterbahn park that other waterparks don't often offer is that you are welcome to bring in your rolling cooler and picnic lunch. Nice!

This is approaching the entrance to the park. See the blue sign on the wall? Remember I mentioned that pesky old horrible-cane, Ike, from 2008? Believe me, we're very familiar with Ike.

file-84.jpg

Well, here's a closer shot of the blue sign you see there.

file-85.jpg

See? Hurricanes are a big deal here!

We like to set up our "camp" for the day in the back by this lovely little inlet for the river. There's nice shade, picnic tables to park our grub on, loungers to lay in, and relaxation to be had.

file-78.jpg

To the immediate left you'll see one of many nice water play areas for the little squirts. Parents of little ones will appreciate that!

file-70.jpg

Let's turn back that river. Everyone loves a good river, right??? Oh so relaxing....

file-50.jpg

Or is it?

file-47.jpg

file-76.jpg

Yep! There's slow floatin' and then there's rapids. Fun! This "transportainment" concept is something Schlitterbahn does well and it's my favorite thing about their Galveston Island park. Compared to their flagship in New Braunfels (the one you see on the Travel Channel ranked at the top for US waterparks every year) the Galveston park is smaller which makes everything more central. Wanna go over by a different slide area? Hop on a tube and float there! The Krystal River almost does like a figure-8 thru the park in sections. There's slow & relaxing...rapids sections...and then...

file-53.jpg

file-54.jpg

file-55.jpg

WAVES!!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
The wave section is part of the indoor part of the water park. You can see the structure with the retractable sides in the pictures above. The wave part is sooooo much fun! The only water park I've been to outside the 2 Schlitterbahn locations I've visited that had a comparable river experience is at Atlantis / Paradise Island / Nassau, Bahamas. If you don't want to cruise to go there and/or pay the big bucks I suggest you hit a Schlitterbahn park. It's definitely cheaper all the way around. LOL!

So here's some more of the indoor section and you can see some of the "indoor" slides:

file-57.jpg

Continuing thru to the outside portion of the park. The speed slides you see in the distance are actually located all the way back by where we had our spot set up for the day.

file-59.jpg

Of course we didn't just float around all day long. There's more to do than just that. Schlitterbahn was the pioneer of the uphill water coaster and there's 2 of those here for you to enjoy. There's a miriad of different slides that you can do in a single, double, or even giant family-size rafts. Definitely fun stuff!

file-43.jpg

file-44.jpg

Yes, I do have proof that we got off the river at least for a little while.

file-61.jpg

But who the heck wants to get off the river if you don't have to? In case you wondered how in the world they keep a river flowing in such a flat terrain, here's the answer: conveyor! Not too comfy on your hiney but at least you don't even have to get out of your tube.

file-75.jpg

From the top looking back down:

file-46.jpg

And the fun ensues all over again...

file-48.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Another aspect of Schlitterbahn we wanted to try to capture is how close it is to a few other really awesome places in Galveston. There's the Lonestar Flight Museum directly across the street from the entrance to the waterpark. Here's a picture of the museum building/hanger from the top of a slide tower:

file-67.jpg

From the other side of the slide platform you get a great view of some of the aircraft.

file-42.jpg

We visited the museum once in the year or so after Hurricane Ike when they were still rebuilding and trying to salvage their aircraft. What sets this museum apart from other aero-museums is that the aircraft you see displayed here are operational. They aren't just pretty shells. They fly. Even better, you can pay to fly in a few of their vintage warbirds: B-17, B-25, P-51, T-6, PT-17, & T-41. That's what you see in the above picture. People are about to go for a ride. Part of the fun for aviation-crazed folks like my hubby at Schlitterbahn is seeing the vintage planes flying over all day long. And geeking out over them every. single. time. See? There goes the PT-17 Stearman:

file-79.jpg

Aaaaand the B-17 Flying Fortress...

file-82.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Now, my hubby swears up & down you can see the top of the coasters from the Pleasure Pier in this pic he took from the top of a slide tower. I couldn't make them out but I told him I could see it so he would stop trying to make me see them. Either way, this is a shot out across the island towards the sea wall area.

file-65.jpg

Okay, well, when zoomed in I can see them. He's officially not insane.

file-66.jpg

To another side of the water park is Moody Gardens. This place is a destination unto itself. They have these pyramid buildings that have botanical gardens, aviaries, an IMAX, a rainforest, and other neat-o exhibits inside. I've only ever been to one of the traveling exhibits here several years ago. It was for the Titanic. Anywhoo, it's another place of interest that's riiiiight across the street from Schlitterbahn. Here's a pic that shows the glass pyramids taken from inside the waterpark:

file-60.jpg

If you're sailing around Christmastime Moody Gardens also does a really nice lights display and winter wonderland-type thing. Remember this picture? Well, the big pinky-peach building in the background is the Moody Gardens Hotel:

file-50.jpg

Also part of the Moody Gardens area is Palm Beach. It looks like Palm Beach is open for the summer months only. I've never been there but I hear good things about it so I thought I'd mention it. I've really not spent much time at all at Moody Gardens. That's sad, I know. Poke around their website more to get better information. Sorry to not be a lot of help. :)

I've only lived in the area of Houston & Galveston for a very short time. Less than 3 months at this point. We lived about 2 hours away for like 5 years before that. I'll be honest, I don't know all that much about the area. So just to give y'all a good spot to go check out the latest happenings and more thorough info about the island I'll send ya off with a link to the official website for Galveston Island.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
But wait! There's more! Look at this map:

E844D565-F1D0-4F8D-9FDC-7C6367BAAF53-11648-00001CE337F5DE3C.jpg

"B" at the bottom right is Galveston. Follow the purple line up to "A". That's Kemah, where I live. Google Maps says it's a 45 minute drive. It took us half an hour last Saturday. Why would I show Galveston cruisers where Kemah is? Because there's something cool to see & do here! Just a few miles from us is Landry's (familiar name again!) Kemah Boardwalk! You'd think I'd have some pics of the place to show you but we drive by it and/or go there so often that it never occurs to me to take pictures. Duh! Kemah is a coastal town. It's not a beach-y place but it is a boat-y place. Back before Landry's bought up the area on the water where the Boardwalk is now and developed it, it was basically a marina area that had some hole-in-the-wall restaurants with piers right on the water. Back before we had children the hubby and I lived closer in to Houston for a short time. A fun Saturday or Sunday afternoon would be to drive down to Kemah, sit outside by the water, eat shrimp po-boys, and drink beer. It was our idea of utopia at that time. We'd sit there and watch the boats going in and out of the boat channel that empties into the Gulf daydreaming of the day we could actually live in a place as wonderful as Kemah. And here we are. Ain't it crazy?! Even though we have mixed emotions for the Kemah Boardwalk (considering the quiet, off-the-beaten-path place it used to be) it's really a fun spot to go. There's a big wooden rollercoaster and all sorts of rides. There's carnival-type games, different outdoor events, a water splash area for the kiddies, oodles of cool little shops & cafes, and some big-time restaurants. All of these things sit right on the water situated behind a small marina. It's really something to see! Of the big restaurants at the Boardwalk we've been to: The Aquarium and Saltgrass. Of the two, Saltgrass is normally my favorite mostly because I don't particularly care for seafood. Last Sunday the old man & I ordered out from this Saltgrass location because we were craving steak and I didn't feel like cooking. His steak was incredible. Mine was pathetic. Evil Saltgrass! I've actually eaten at this location several times and that was the first time I ever had anything that was less than stellar from them. Perhaps I got someone else's steak by mistake? I dunno.

It's also worth mentioning that there's a restaurant within a block or 2 of the Boardwalk called T-Bone Tom's that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. We've eaten here as well. I thought the sausage was killer but the rest of the food was normal-level good, nothing all that spectacular. I guess when a place is featured on a Food Network program you have really high expectations. LOL!

It used to be the only hotel at the Boardwalk was the Boardwalk Inn. I've never stayed there, always wanted to, could never find any availability during the summer. There are, however, several new hotels within a block or two of the complex proper along with lots of little shops and things. I know there's a new Holiday Inn really close. So if you decide you'd like to stay a little further out but still in a nice, fun area Kemah is an option for you. Just make sure you know your proximity to the Boardwalk. I don't want anyone to get here and be mad because they are super far from where they thought they'd be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom