GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
FP allows you to return at a set time... you get to avoid standing in the line, but your return time is almost always going to be later than actually waiting in standby.

DAS will allow you to return at a set time.. (similar to FP).. you get to avoid standing in the line (similar to FP), and your return time will be set based on the standby time, not the FP return time (so generally better than FP)

FP is available to everyone.. but is limited in it's availability... it runs out. DAS won't run out..(better than FP) you'd be able to use it on-demand. The limit is you just can't stack DAS waits... but you are not limited to what you do during your wait. So you can go on other rides (like FP), or even get another FP while waiting (better than FP).

Think about how everyone complains 'if I don't get there early.. I won't get a FP'. Imagine never having to worry about that anymore.. and basically being able to use a FP-like service anytime you want for any attraction.

Now think about FP+ being limited to 3-4 uses in a single park per day. DAS will not be limited in how many times you can use it. You will be able to park hop with DAS and use it in both parks.. unlike FP+

Starting to see the attraction for people to lie to get a DAS still? :)

It's like being able to get a FP for any attraction
Yes and no. Remember that you cannot have more than one at a time, and only if the wait time is more than 15 minutes for an attraction. It appears that you must go back to a kiosk after your ride to get your card stamped for a new ride, and then only for a ride that again has a longer wait time than 15 minutes.

Under the current GAC, depending on how it is written, you can get straight on a ride through the exit, and immediately head to the next ride and do the same thing. You bypassed all the waiting, and now, instead of riding BTMRR and Splash in an hour 1/2 like everyone else, you've done it inside 20 minutes, and you move on to the next one.

So with the new system, if you want to ride BTMRR, and the wait time is 30 minutes, you go to a kiosk, they stamp your DAS, and it will tell you what time to come back, and go through the FP line. Then, if you want to ride Splash, and it has a 40 minute wait, you have to go back to a kiosk, and get your DAS stamped with that return time. You will have waited the same time to ride those two rides as someone who has stood in the queues. Fair for everyone.

muteki

FP allows you to return at a set time... you get to avoid standing in the line, but your return time is almost always going to be later than actually waiting in standby.

DAS will allow you to return at a set time.. (similar to FP).. you get to avoid standing in the line (similar to FP), and your return time will be set based on the standby time, not the FP return time (so generally better than FP)

FP is available to everyone.. but is limited in it's availability... it runs out. DAS won't run out..(better than FP) you'd be able to use it on-demand. The limit is you just can't stack DAS waits... but you are not limited to what you do during your wait. So you can go on other rides (like FP), or even get another FP while waiting (better than FP).

Think about how everyone complains 'if I don't get there early.. I won't get a FP'. Imagine never having to worry about that anymore.. and basically being able to use a FP-like service anytime you want for any attraction.

Now think about FP+ being limited to 3-4 uses in a single park per day. DAS will not be limited in how many times you can use it. You will be able to park hop with DAS and use it in both parks.. unlike FP+

Starting to see the attraction for people to lie to get a DAS still? :)

It's like being able to get a FP for any attraction

I agree with everything that you are saying, and certainly some of the more adventurous abusers will probably do this, but it is so much more effort over the old system that I think most will be turned away. All the stops to City Hall and kiosks are going to get old real fast for people that don't need it.

Goofyernmost

I’m not saying I disagree with you. I have a sister with a physical disability so I avoid going into small shops and restaurants where the wheelchair is going to be a problem or a hassle.
But, I do have to say that there are a TON of non-disabled children whose meltdowns and rude behavior are inappropriate (and sometimes dangerous) for a public area with paying customers and whose parents I wish would have left at home. But of course, I can’t say that. I’m meant to accommodate them because they have a right to be there. Should they be there? No, but it would be considered inappropriate for me to suggest something like that to an non-disabled family.
Like I said, I avoid small shops, but my sister has a right to go in there and if we have to move a table over a little bit to fit, I’m going to do it. Just because you know people who make a responsible choice based on their experiences, doesn’t mean others don’t have the right to make a different decision.
This is Disney after all. Where dreams come true. Who shouldn't be there? Who wouldn't want that?
This is not really a question of who wouldn't want. This is a question of coming up with a proper balance between those with difficulties and those that don't have difficulties. This is a question of what degree of concessions are necessary to accommodate every single scenario of disability that can be conjured up. I agree with @flynnibus that 'can't stay in a line' is an iffy excuse at best. Everyone, be it a child with autism or a person with no problems still have 24 hours in a day to get through. Someplace in that 24 hours people have to wait for something, daylight, time to eat, time to go, time to play, time to watch a TV program. What do they do during those times. 15 minutes is no longer in Disney then anywhere else on the planet.

None of us, I'm sure have a problem with helping someone out when they have no choice. Asking people to help out for them to receive special treatment is not unreasonable. Asking people to help make the system that was put in place to help them be a fair and non-abused system as it can be, is not unreasonable. Asking people to be put upon because the system cannot identify the abusers from the needy is NOT reasonable. Something needs to be adjusted. Yea, yea...hidden disabilities! Know all about them, had one myself once. But it would never have bothered me nearly as much to share that disability with someone that could verify it, then to have half the planet wondering whether or not I'm a cheater. Dignity is as important as a ride on a Theme Park ride. I never lost dignity because I proved I had a problem, but I lost a lot while looking at the judgmental eyes of the justifiably doubtful public. It would be nice if those that make the rules were disabled themselves so they would know how it feels rather then assuming that they know, the problem is that physical disabilities are easier to define the mental disorders and should have their own set of rules, but not open ended. A mental disability is defined as something that someone with it is unable to do. There is a limit to everything. Not everyone can be accommodated.

Years ago I went to WDW with a fellow in a wheel chair. He had CP! He was skinny as a rail and about 6 foot tall. He could stand and he could walk but only for short distances and only if supported by someone. He had balance and communication problems. When we went there was no such thing as a GAC card, there was no such thing as a FP. I don't remember ever missing out on anything. We were directed where necessary to different entrances which required a wait usually. Or we would wind through the switchback like everyone else. Then I would help him up, hold onto his arm and help him get on rides. We never made them stop the ride, we made it work. When he couldn't make the transfer from the chair to the ride, we didn't go on it. Disappointing sure, but he knew his limitations and also knew that the world wasn't built to strictly accommodate him and his disability.

arko

I'm not sure how you can say it's ruined. The new system seems much more equitable for all parties.....

Because the people that needed the flexibility of not having to schedule a ride are losing that ability. Unfortunately it was that ability that made the GAC so easily abused.

With the advent of FP+ and only 3 FP's a day this system will be just abused by families and others who will use it to get extra free fastpasses.
Sure it won't be unlimited like now, but the abuse will be just as rampant as soon as people realize how they can use it to their advantage.
Everyone keeps saying standby lines will be shorter, but FP+ and the more limited DAS will simply push more people into standby. But only time will tell.

arko

As far as it being fair, I don't think it depends on a person's point of view in this instance. Everyone is finally on an even playing field. That is the very definition of the word fair.

That is definitely up for debate. I believe the difference could be quite significant since GAC abuse will be eliminated. But, we will see.

not really, its unlikely that a family that has a family member with a disability walks into the park is on an even playing field as a family without one. This system will work fine for some and not so great for others.

The answer is not a simple one and Disney pretty much had little choice but to cut back the level of benefit the GAC gave due to bad press.

IWantMyMagicBand

Here is a musing, just that as it's 11.20pm in the UK and I've had a vino, but do people who do not have kids on their trip with them view rider switch with the same disdain as some people view an "abused" GAC/DAS.
So, Splash is a 20 minute wait, DAS family goes to kiosk and gets a pass for 20 minutes later, first parent rides with child in normal queue, comes off, second parent goes on with child using DAS and gets a rider switch, first parent then goes straight back on.

joanna71985

What I am curios about is.. when this rolls out in Florida and I'm sure it plays a roll for some in Cali.. I travel with my friend and her daughters.. one of her daughters needs the GAC and a stroller as a wheelchair pass.. when they limit to one ride at a time and say you can go ride something else with a low wait time for those children that literally cannot handle a 10-20 minute "low wait time" what are the families suppose to do?

The GAC was never meant to get people right onto rides (it even says right on the front "not intended to provide immediate access")

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So families that have children that cannot physically wait in line due to the childs inability to understand what is going on and why you said ok lets go ride small world and you get in line and 15 minutes have passed and the child still isnt on small world and the child doesnt understand that they have to wait to have that child break down and freak out and start lashing out where the parents have to try and calm a child down in line where people are staring at them thinking about what a horrible parent they are because they can't control their child and the other children in the family see all of this and hear what people are whispering to each other and get embarrassed about the situation and the parents are now getting beaten up by their child and start loosing it themselves... yep that makes such magical moments.... I hope every one here that doesn't have a child with a disability thinks about that before they make such comments... and yes this happens and yes you may say "oh I would never think that about another parent" but you know you would/do we are only human and who do you think gets more annoyed over GAC abuse then that parents that NEED to use this to have a magical trip for their families because they deserve a magical vacation just as much as every one else

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's just a matter of time before we see a news article about private tour companies manufacturing their own counterfeit Make-A-Wish shirts/buttons in order to cater to the wealthy.

The wealthy don't NEED this, All that is required is to book a VIP tour, Instant front of line etc, It's the poseur's who want to appear wealthy who used the disabled guides ruse.

RSoxNo1

If Radiator Springs Racers is any indication, you will be able to return at any point after the time given using DAS. This would make sense considering that it's limited to one at a time. I could also see them changing the Fastpass rules to something similar as well.

WDWFan_Boston

not really, its unlikely that a family that has a family member with a disability walks into the park is on an even playing field as a family without one. This system will work fine for some and not so great for others.

You're missing the point. I'm not saying that a family with a disability doesn't have special challenges. That's not the issue. The issue is fairness when dealing with lines on rides. Everyone now has access to rides and everyone waits the same amount of time. That's the very definition of "fair".

The GAC was never meant to get people right onto rides (it even says right on the front "not intended to provide immediate access")

Bingo. That's what several people are missing here!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The wealthy don't NEED this, All that is required is to book a VIP tour, Instant front of line etc, It's the poseur's who want to appear wealthy who used the disabled guides ruse.
Disney has a plan for this too. Make A Wish families will be given a special Genie lanyard that can only be received from the Make a Wish Head Quarters. None will be available onsite.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney has a plan for this too. Make A Wish families will be given a special Genie lanyard that can only be received from the Make a Wish Head Quarters. None will be available onsite.

Good idea and if it has an authentication component to make sure the 'Genie' is genuine it should take care of everything, My point was that if you want a front of line experience at WDW you can have it if you have the cash.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/vip-tour-services/

Up to 10 people can be in group and its $315 per hour which if you got 10 friends it would only be 31.50 each per hour.

Yensid1974

The answer is not a simple one and Disney pretty much had little choice but to cut back the level of benefit the GAC gave due to bad press.

For what it was I doubt the benefit that ended up being was what Disney had intended in the first place. They just had no will to do anything about it until now.

cmybliss

So families that have children that cannot physically wait in line due to the childs inability to understand what is going on and why you said ok lets go ride small world and you get in line and 15 minutes have passed and the child still isnt on small world and the child doesnt understand that they have to wait to have that child break down and freak out and start lashing out where the parents have to try and calm a child down in line where people are staring at them thinking about what a horrible parent they are because they can't control their child and the other children in the family see all of this and hear what people are whispering to each other and get embarrassed about the situation and the parents are now getting beaten up by their child and start loosing it themselves... yep that makes such magical moments.... I hope every one here that doesn't have a child with a disability thinks about that before they make such comments... and yes this happens and yes you may say "oh I would never think that about another parent" but you know you would/do we are only human and who do you think gets more annoyed over GAC abuse then that parents that NEED to use this to have a magical trip for their families because they deserve a magical vacation just as much as every one else

We've made use of the GAC in the past when my daughter wore ankle braces and had difficulty waiting in line due to her ASD, so I speak from experience. I think this is a change for the better. We only ever used the system on rides where the line was over 15 minutes long, and only used it one time for each ride. We were very clear with her about what to expect. Yes, it could be difficult sometimes, but when she hit that point we knew it was time to leave and take a rest.

Disney parks are full of stimulus. This can be overwhelming to people with ASD's and other behavior issues. It's your responsibility as a parent or guardian to know your child/charge and tailor the experience to them. You can't and shouldn't expect Disney to inconvenience other guests to accommodate you. They already go above and beyond when it comes to this. It's shame that there are so many dishonest people abusing the current system, but that isn't Disney's fault. This change creates more equity in the system.

cmybliss

My cousin has a disabled, combative, autistic foster child. Joey is unable to wait in any kind of a lengthy line or deal with massive crowds. Even though he has the emotional and development capacity of a 4 year old, he has the body and strength of a 12 year old pre-pubescent boy. When he "loses it", people get hurt.
My cousin, therefore does not subject him to excessive stimuli such as a theme park.
When she takes her other children to Canada's Wonderland or the Ex, Joey goes to day camp.
When she took a family trip to California, which included a 2-day trip to Disneyland, Joey went to respite.
I have known and loved Joey for 8 years, since he was a pre-schooler, and I completely agree with my cousin's decision to exclude Joey from some of their more intense vacations. I would never want to be on a plane with Joey. I would never want to be in the middle of Fantasyland when Joey has a melt down. I would never want to walk away from an overpriced $40 Disney steak because Joey was overwhelmed by the time dinner finally arrived. And therefore to be fair to myself, my family, other guests, and MOST ESPECIALLY JOEY, I would never take him to WDW, despite his "right" to be there.
Just because he has the right to be there, and Disney has kindly made some allowances to make his visit more enjoyable, doesn't mean that Joey "should" be there. Joey will probably never get to experience WDW, and that's just the way it is.

I applaud your cousin. It sounds like she really knows her son and does what's best for HIM, not what's most convenient for her. As a parent of a child with disabilities, I know this can be difficult. We had to sit out Disney for several years after my daughter had a terrible panic attack on an airplane. It was hard for all of us, but with therapy and age came the ability for her to overcome this particular fear, and we are now able to enjoy a Disney vacation with minimal worry.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seriously, if a 10-15 minute wait isn't good enough and will result in a massive tantrum, what the devil are you doing in a theme park? I've been in the MK on days where I've had to wait 10-15 minutes for everything except taking a leak. How does one expect WDW to make it any better for people who feel 10-15 minutes just won't do? This is borderline offensive here. How much more blood do you want to squeeze from the stone?

I'd love to hear how they deal with meals... you know.. where the kid knows they are getting food.. but *gasp* has to wait for said food? You can't even get QS without a double digit wait on average days.

Who has seen the buses that show up immediately? Or the monorail?

How does said person get out of the park at the end of an evening?

How about check-in for the hotel?

I'm pretty sure people have figured out how to manage these scenarios for their child's condition.. rides could be managed the same. My .02... feel free to toss it out :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, and that is what I expected, the difference is that this will require some activity other then just walk on a ride any ride regardless of time or situation. It also will, or at least should, prevent the riding of an attraction over and over and over like what you get with the standard GAC card. There will be additional steps that one needs to take now and those include getting their ahead of time passes and also doing like the rest of us and having to get the regular FP's for specific rides with the same standards as the rest of us.

Oh it's certainly an improvement... I just think the jump to 'this will stop the abuse!' are a bit premature. I have a hell of time believing Disney is going to commit to staffing 3, 4?,5? kiosks around the park all year long just for this purpose. I don't see it. I can understand for a transition.. but forever going forward?? Not unless they train the people to sell DVC as well :D :D :D

Goofyernmost

Good idea and if it has an authentication component to make sure the 'Genie' is genuine it should take care of everything, My point was that if you want a front of line experience at WDW you can have it if you have the cash.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/vip-tour-services/

Up to 10 people can be in group and its $315 per hour which if you got 10 friends it would only be 31.50 each per hour.
I didn't see it in the promotion, but, I was under the impression that this was over and above park admission. So one pays that plus admission fee's. Multiple parks if you have a Park Hopper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it includes park admission, we should all do that. I guess it would work if you spend enough hours on the tour, but there must be some minimum if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom