GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP2000

l call BS

Are you saying as a Cast Member (and you admit you use a GAC when you visit the parks on your CM sign-in passes) that you have heard the new DAS thing will work differently than what Al Lutz and Micechat is saying? Do you think Mr. Lutz is making it up, or have Florida CM's been told things will work differently than the DAS out at Disneyland?

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I'm upset.. more concerned actually...as to how this is going to impact families like my friend and her children (she is a single mother with 2 children and I often go to act as a 2nd parent) who use the current GAC system to be able to enjoy the parks like every other family. My friend's daughter has extreme anxiety issues, impulsive behavioral issues, along with cognitive delay. For her she does not understand time if you tell her we are going to go ride small world as you walk into the line she expects to be getting onto the ride.. so for the current system that works because the wait time is generally very minimum for her. I am not upset because it has taken away the magic fastpass we often will use fastpass for those rides that have it and not tell Abby that we are going on that ride until we have our fastpass time but when the new system says it will allow you to go enjoy other attractions that have minimum wait times because for Abby there really isn't such a thing as a minimum wait time. Like I had said before Disney was a safe haven vacation for families that need more "magic" to ensure a good vacation for all and I am concerned that these changes might not make Disney that destination any more they way it use to be.

It would be fantastic if the changes do limit the number of ECV that get rented or the wheelchairs that people rent for their older children that do not fit in the strollers any more.

Did you read the article? It did say that along with the DAS, you are able to get regular fastpasses also. I would suggest that your friend go during slower times of the year and then the waits will really not be an issue. My niece is autistic and when my sister takes her they go during slower times and use the fastpasses. She actually has never used the GAC because they were able to do other things like watching the ducks and other distractions other then the over stimulating rides continuously.

Goofyernmost

At first glance... this seems like full of win.

They didn't talk about trying to manage who qualifies or not... there is still some incentive for abuse here as this basically becomes a uber-Fastpass. They never run out, the return time is likely better than the FP return time, and it doesn't hinder your use of FP.

They also didn't talk about strictness on return times.

Think about in WDW where FP+ is rolled out.. you have limited # of FP+ uses... the DAS card basically bypasses all your FP+ restrictions. So if legacy FP goes away as rumored... it will be very attractive for abuse in WDW.
Unless I have missed something, it seemed that it was said that they could only use the DAS card to get the special passes over and above the regular FP's. They can still get the regular but, they have the same provisions as the rest of the FP users. In other words regardless of the DAS, no FP no use of that line.

The DAS card itself is just the instrument to get the FP's, not automatically a FP, I think! Addressing the idea about the ending of regular FP one or two things could be happening. They may have another plan in place when regular FP goes away or maybe Legacy FP isn't ever really going away. Hard to tell at this point. It's still all rumor as to how it is going to work.

Yensid1974

Hopefully with the new system people will be able to use both the DAS and FP+ to more or less have their day planned out (which I would assume would be helpful to many families using DAS) to have minimal wait times. Thinking of it in this way for a typical day: FP+ #1, down time, DAS ride, FP+#2, down time, DAS, FP+ #3, Das, downtime, DAS. Down time being used for eating, shopping, misc., or riding a short wait time ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Unless I have missed something, it seemed that it was said that they could only use the DAS card to get the special passes over and above the regular FP's. They can still get the regular but, they have the same provisions as the rest of the FP users. In other words regardless of the DAS, no FP no use of that line.

FP allows you to return at a set time... you get to avoid standing in the line, but your return time is almost always going to be later than actually waiting in standby.

DAS will allow you to return at a set time.. (similar to FP).. you get to avoid standing in the line (similar to FP), and your return time will be set based on the standby time, not the FP return time (so generally better than FP)

FP is available to everyone.. but is limited in it's availability... it runs out. DAS won't run out..(better than FP) you'd be able to use it on-demand. The limit is you just can't stack DAS waits... but you are not limited to what you do during your wait. So you can go on other rides (like FP), or even get another FP while waiting (better than FP).

Think about how everyone complains 'if I don't get there early.. I won't get a FP'. Imagine never having to worry about that anymore.. and basically being able to use a FP-like service anytime you want for any attraction.

Now think about FP+ being limited to 3-4 uses in a single park per day. DAS will not be limited in how many times you can use it. You will be able to park hop with DAS and use it in both parks.. unlike FP+

Starting to see the attraction for people to lie to get a DAS still? :)

It's like being able to get a FP for any attraction

PirateFrank

They didn't talk about trying to manage who qualifies or not...

This is still my biggest concern, as no controls have been announced to mitigate the daily Oscar-winning performances that occur at the GR window. Hopefully there is a change there. There needs to be some realistic criteria injected into the granting process. 'Ask and ye shall receive' is what got us into this mess in the first place.....

luv

Goofyernmost

FP allows you to return at a set time... you get to avoid standing in the line, but your return time is almost always going to be later than actually waiting in standby.

DAS will allow you to return at a set time.. (similar to FP).. you get to avoid standing in the line (similar to FP), and your return time will be set based on the standby time, not the FP return time (so generally better than FP)

FP is available to everyone.. but is limited in it's availability... it runs out. DAS won't run out..(better than FP) you'd be able to use it on-demand. The limit is you just can't stack DAS waits... but you are not limited to what you do during your wait. So you can go on other rides (like FP), or even get another FP while waiting (better than FP).

Think about how everyone complains 'if I don't get there early.. I won't get a FP'. Imagine never having to worry about that anymore.. and basically being able to use a FP-like service anytime you want for any attraction.

Now think about FP+ being limited to 3-4 uses in a single park per day. DAS will not be limited in how many times you can use it. You will be able to park hop with DAS and use it in both parks.. unlike FP+

Starting to see the attraction for people to lie to get a DAS still? :)

It's like being able to get a FP for any attraction
Yes, and that is what I expected, the difference is that this will require some activity other then just walk on a ride any ride regardless of time or situation. It also will, or at least should, prevent the riding of an attraction over and over and over like what you get with the standard GAC card. There will be additional steps that one needs to take now and those include getting their ahead of time passes and also doing like the rest of us and having to get the regular FP's for specific rides with the same standards as the rest of us.

There will be a ton of complaints, but, that is tough. And at the risk of sounding heartless, please, Parents of violent children that are capable of inflicting harm or pain on others if they don't get their own way. PLEASE STAY HOME! Myself and my children have a right to not be harmed by your out of control child. I feel bad for them, but, in the middle of a crowd of human beings, is not where they should be. Not because I don't like them or I don't feel bad, but because they are not able to co-exist. Or maybe wait until they are a little older and more able to deal with it. My kids had no problems at all, but the oldest one still didn't get to go there until she was 8 years old. She survived, raised a family and still managed to really enjoy the Disney experience even today. They don't have to go there at a specific age to enjoy it. Hell, I didn't go there until I was 36 years old and for some strange reason, I came through it relatively unharmed, well except for that twitch in my left eye.

Last edited:

IWantMyMagicBand

This is still my biggest concern, as no controls have been announced to mitigate the daily Oscar-winning performances that occur at the GR window. Hopefully there is a change there. There needs to be some realistic criteria injected into the granting process. 'Ask and ye shall receive' is what got us into this mess in the first place.....
I like this article that elaborates a bit on why change is needed (not that it needs explaining to most people here)
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3666/

PirateFrank

I like this article that elaborates a bit on why change is needed (not that it needs explaining to most people here)
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3666/

Thanks for the article link!

The problem is, that the author doesn't speak to the advantages @flynnibus describes in the new system. The more I read about DAS, the more it seems like fastpass++....and as the author rightly points out, if you take away the advantage, you create a disincentive for the abuse. The problem is, he's not recognizing that there's still an advantage.

Also, still no mention of restricting access to the truly needy. All this system does is force GAC, now DAS, users to play more by the rules, it doesn't prevent those that shouldn't have it in the first place, from getting it.

IWantMyMagicBand

Thanks for the article link!

The problem is, that the author doesn't speak to the advantages @flynnibus describes in the new system. The more I read about DAS, the more it seems like fastpass++....and as the author rightly points out, if you take away the advantage, you create a disincentive for the abuse. The problem is, he's not recognizing that there's still an advantage.

Also, still no mention of restricting access to the truly needy. All this system does is force GAC, now DAS, users to play more by the rules, it doesn't prevent those that shouldn't have it in the first place, from getting it.
True, he doesn't. But playing by the rules will hopefully cut down on the abuse, and until the system is modified to include "proof of need", all it will do is cut down abuse, not eliminate it. It would also be helpful if there could be a pre-visit online registration system (Chessington World of Adventures does this), and you upload your Dr letter, then bring it with you on the day when the in-person confirmation is completed.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The abuse might come now with people trying to get DAS cards for multiple people in their group. I hope Disney does not allow this, or at least tries to curb it as much as they can.

Ariel Savage

My cousin has a disabled, combative, autistic foster child. Joey is unable to wait in any kind of a lengthy line or deal with massive crowds. Even though he has the emotional and development capacity of a 4 year old, he has the body and strength of a 12 year old pre-pubescent boy. When he "loses it", people get hurt.
My cousin, therefore does not subject him to excessive stimuli such as a theme park.
When she takes her other children to Canada's Wonderland or the Ex, Joey goes to day camp.
When she took a family trip to California, which included a 2-day trip to Disneyland, Joey went to respite.
I have known and loved Joey for 8 years, since he was a pre-schooler, and I completely agree with my cousin's decision to exclude Joey from some of their more intense vacations. I would never want to be on a plane with Joey. I would never want to be in the middle of Fantasyland when Joey has a melt down. I would never want to walk away from an overpriced $40 Disney steak because Joey was overwhelmed by the time dinner finally arrived. And therefore to be fair to myself, my family, other guests, and MOST ESPECIALLY JOEY, I would never take him to WDW, despite his "right" to be there.
Just because he has the right to be there, and Disney has kindly made some allowances to make his visit more enjoyable, doesn't mean that Joey "should" be there. Joey will probably never get to experience WDW, and that's just the way it is.

I’m not saying I disagree with you. I have a sister with a physical disability so I avoid going into small shops and restaurants where the wheelchair is going to be a problem or a hassle.
But, I do have to say that there are a TON of non-disabled children whose meltdowns and rude behavior are inappropriate (and sometimes dangerous) for a public area with paying customers and whose parents I wish would have left at home. But of course, I can’t say that. I’m meant to accommodate them because they have a right to be there. Should they be there? No, but it would be considered inappropriate for me to suggest something like that to an non-disabled family.
Like I said, I avoid small shops, but my sister has a right to go in there and if we have to move a table over a little bit to fit, I’m going to do it. Just because you know people who make a responsible choice based on their experiences, doesn’t mean others don’t have the right to make a different decision.
This is Disney after all. Where dreams come true. Who shouldn't be there? Who wouldn't want that?

WDWFan_Boston

True, he doesn't. But playing by the rules will hopefully cut down on the abuse, and until the system is modified to include "proof of need", all it will do is cut down abuse, not eliminate it. It would also be helpful if there could be a pre-visit online registration system (Chessington World of Adventures does this), and you upload your Dr letter, then bring it with you on the day when the in-person confirmation is completed.
Just a thought: in this digital world we live in, anyone can make a fake letterhead and upload a doctor's note to a website. The only way to combat that would be to create a team of CM's to check each note. See how complicated it can become?

Doctor's notes would not eliminate the abuse, but removing the incentive to abuse the system would eliminate the abuse. If there is no shortcut to the front of the line, nobody will want to scam the system. It seems like that's what Disney had in mind.

PirateFrank

Just a thought: in this digital world we live in, anyone can make a fake letterhead and upload a doctor's note to a website. The only way to combat that would be to create a team of CM's to check each note. See how complicated it can become?

Doctor's notes would not eliminate the abuse, but removing the incentive to abuse the system would eliminate the abuse. If there is no shortcut to the front of the line, nobody will want to scam the system. It seems like that's what Disney had in mind.

Well said! Even though its a movie, the scene from Fugative comes to mind, where Richard Kimble gets into the elevator with the sick boy and signs a order for emergency surgery. Some letterhead, a few fancy words culled out of a medical journal and a scribbled signature is all it takes. Who's going to follow up and call each dr's office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom