Future West Side

mm121

The theatres need a major remodel soon than later and the dine-in side is in terrible shape.

This coming from someone who just recently finished working there. The place is disgusting.
i haven't been there in forever, but thats surprising AMC would let it get into such bad shape

with its prominent location they really should treat it like a flagship location keeping it in the best shape and the first to adopt new technologies and use part of it as a testing ground for new trends

does it have recliner? to go along with the reserved seating

Next Big Thing

i haven't been there in forever, but thats surprising AMC would let it get into such bad shape

with its prominent location they really should treat it like a flagship location keeping it in the best shape and the first to adopt new technologies and use part of it as a testing ground for new trends

does it have recliner? to go along with the reserved seating
You would think that they would treat it better, but it's one of the highest grossing cinemas in their chain, so maybe they just don't see the need to? Don't get me wrong, it's nicer than most AMCs, but there's still a lot of issues. For example, the dine-in side is especially bad with the carpet smelling like mold because people spill so much stuff.

Also, the kitchen is far too small for how many people they're serving so sometimes people don't get their food until the movie is almost over on extremely busy days and the AC system is messed up to the point where one theater could be around 65 degrees and walk into the one across the hall and it's close to 80 degrees.

We always would make mention to management of these things on a daily basis, but they don't have much say in anything.

mm121

We always would make mention to management of these things on a daily basis, but they don't have much say in anything.

thats a big part of the problem when things are own by huge corporations

no matter how much managers on the ground deal with complains its really hard to get the message to corporate office since they dont really care about the customers at all or the employees that have to deal with them

all they care about is the stock price, and unfortunately unless lots of people just stop going to the movies complaints dont show up in the stock price, since by the time a customer is complaining, they already have the customers money so they no longer care at all

articos

why would they demolish it and rebuild? I"m sure the theatres inside have been remodeled more than once in the time that its been there

only reason i could see to rebuild it would be to redo the entire design and put the theatres on the 2nd level, which would open up the ground floor for more west side retail/restaurant space

if they did that maybe they could incorporate an imax somehow, or whatever is popular at that point,

would be cool to maybe make a 3rd floor with high tech mini theatres with the new vibrating seats and new gadgets that maybe arent invented yet
Half the building is still original and is need of major upgrades to the HVAC system, as well as a larger kitchen, as Next said. They did not design the space to be used in the way it is being used. It needs to be a more cohesive theater, and that is best accomplished by rebuilding it. They won't want to shut down, though, which is why that's best accomplished by doing a renovation half and then the other half, made easier because it's an original half plus an added on expansion. AMC owns ETX and they have a deal with Dolby for Dolby Cinema. I doubt this space will ever see an IMAX branded theater - more likely Dolby Cinema and ETX.

Obobru

Isn't AMC's Chinese owner the one who opened up parks in China saying he would compete and beat Disney? Must be a great relationship

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A true IMAX would fit great in the service yard behind the AMC. Problem is they need that service yard.

The AMC in my town renovated one of the larger theatres to make an IMAX. Granted, it's nothing like the one at the Metreon in SF.

tissandtully

I've been going to that theater since it opened, have seen it in so many different conditions. I really like the first two auditoriums, ETX is pretty cool though sometimes really loud. I remember this was one of the first to have a digital projector lol.

Cmdr_Crimson

You won't see a theatre at DTD due to a none compete with Cirque for a set number of years that I don't know.

A guy I know at Disney Theatrical said it has been something looked at but back when that deal was done with cirque it wasn't something they thought of he assumes.

On the old PC Program The Walt Disney World Explorer on the section about Pleasure Island it mentiones "The Disney Entertainment Theater a Performing arts theater featuring visiting Entertainers." This could have been at one where La Nouba stands as a big arena theater to be used for concert venues that never happened...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As permit was filed today for the replacement of pavers with concrete throughout the West Side. The dark line indicates the work area.

upload_2017-3-21_20-21-58.png

mm121

As permit was filed today for the replacement of pavers with concrete throughout the West Side. The dark line indicates the work area.

View attachment 195196

seems like alot of work

isnt town center and marketplace partially pavers?

surprising they didnt do this when it was torn up previously for the construction of the highline, well really the fake line since they cut having access on it.

roj2323

View attachment 195196
It's kind of strange how they are using the old plat of survey instead of the updated one. Actually this plat of survey predates the ice cream shop that got turned into the Starbucks so it's probably from the early 2000's I'd guess.

articos

It's kind of strange how they are using the old plat of survey instead of the updated one. Actually this plat of survey predates the ice cream shop that got turned into the Starbucks so it's probably from the early 2000's I'd guess.
These planning docs don't get updated unless a project needs to. And then the question is whether the new docs are filed properly. Not unusual.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
These planning docs don't get updated unless a project needs to. And then the question is whether the new docs are filed properly. Not unusual.

... and in the Notices of Commencement, the map is simply to show where the work is happening, the details really aren't important. In the past they didn't even include maps, just provided a list of survey coordinates for the bounds of the work area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom