Future West Side

jt04

Original Poster
Wondering about the latest rumors. NBA or DQ, Bongos, AMC, HoB, new district to the west, new garage, bus terminal......Etc.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As far as I know, NBA is still on, but troubled. No changes to HoB or AMC - both had updates. Might be changes at Bongos. Bus terminal has just opened in the center of property, along with Lime and Orange Garages, that should be it for busses and parking now.

jt04

Original Poster
As far as I know, NBA is still on, but troubled. No changes to HoB or AMC - both had updates. Might be changes at Bongos. Bus terminal has just opened in the center of property, along with Lime and Orange Garages, that should be it for busses and parking now.

Shocked we have not heard about a true IMAX coming to WDW somewhere. Makes me wonder if the one on International Drive has an exclusive contract for Orlando.

Next Big Thing

Shocked we have not heard about a true IMAX coming to WDW somewhere. Makes me wonder if the one on International Drive has an exclusive contract for Orlando.
A true IMAX would fit great in the service yard behind the AMC. Problem is they need that service yard.

mm121

Wondering about the latest rumors. NBA or DQ, Bongos, AMC, HoB, new district to the west, new garage, bus terminal......Etc.
would love to see the hyperian warf project be revamped to the west with its own parking garage and make it be an adults area like PI use to be something for the 20's 30's since the landing is more upscale for people in their 40's 50's

Jon81uk

I didn't even know that they were going to do anything to the West Side. It needs something added to it.

Short term all that might happen is the replacement of Wolfgang Puck (the 90s mosaic colour scheme has to change) and maybe Bongos.

Some people think their might eventually be development on the car park behind Cirque, but I wouldn't expect anything for 10/15 years or more.

BrianLo

I still don't understand why they haven't gone the 'West End' route and added at least one Broadway theater to the mix. SDL has it so perhaps if that performs well. I just imagine it could support at least a permanent fixture (Lion King or Frozen) and another for touring productions with a subscription package for locals. On top of Cirque.

It would certainly be a resounding point for the not just a mall argument and could easily suck in conference goers who don't really have any vested interest in the parks... But money to burn on property. Plus theater goers are also going to spring for a fancy dinner.

clemmo

I can honestly say I haven't stepped foot in the west side for years...no desire to. They really need something added there, but honestly I'd much rather have all the parks fixed up first including the dilapidated water parks

BrianLo

The Dr. Philips Center in downtown already offers a venue for touring Broadway shows with season options for locals. I don't see any reason why there needs to be another large performance venue in the area.

Because Orlando sees 66 million tourists compared to New York's 59.7 million AND Disney has a theatrical production arm. It seems kind of silly that they have not monetized the ability to see one of their numerous broadway shows at their signature resort

Plus the fact Disney neither owns the Dr. Philips Center, nor would ever really want to send their guests to Downtown Orlando.

That's like saying Orlando already had one large theme park, why would they need another...

Obobru

You won't see a theatre at DTD due to a none compete with Cirque for a set number of years that I don't know.

A guy I know at Disney Theatrical said it has been something looked at but back when that deal was done with cirque it wasn't something they thought of he assumes.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Short term all that might happen is the replacement of Wolfgang Puck (the 90s mosaic colour scheme has to change) and maybe Bongos.

Some people think their might eventually be development on the car park behind Cirque, but I wouldn't expect anything for 10/15 years or more.
That would be the logical way to go. That's actually where we park now. It wouldn't surprise me to see it go though. As big as the parking garages are that would be fine with me.

Obobru

I posted this in a different thread but maybe relevant here

Maybe I am reading too much into it because no one has mentioned it but the big wheel behind cirque is interesting. This is where I think the bus stops are which someone mentioned are moving to the old marketplace stops. Could we see a wheel added in the future?

articos

Pointe does not have an exclusive on the large format, the predecessor to Regal who built that theater were just the only ones who bothered to build a true IMAX screen. With the theater chains putting in their own proprietary large screen formats, they don't have to spend the money to license the IMAX format and equipment. AMC has ETX, which they own. Universal's theater was built without IMAX, but later wanted something to draw people, so they paid for the small format IMAX, which didn't require a significant rebuild. If someone wants to build a new, large format IMAX, they can and will, but those are very rare these days in the US. Eventually, AMC will demolish half of the current building and rebuild, then will do the same to the other side, but I'm sure they'll stick with ETX large screen. With the number of auditoriums in that building, they're more concerned with filling seats.

wdwfan22

You won't see a theatre at DTD due to a none compete with Cirque for a set number of years that I don't know.

A guy I know at Disney Theatrical said it has been something looked at but back when that deal was done with cirque it wasn't something they thought of he assumes.

You are correct about the non compete. I think Cirque also has to update the show every so often for it to remain in effect as well.

mm121

Eventually, AMC will demolish half of the current building and rebuild, then will do the same to the other side, but I'm sure they'll stick with ETX large screen. With the number of auditoriums in that building, they're more concerned with filling seats.

why would they demolish it and rebuild? I"m sure the theatres inside have been remodeled more than once in the time that its been there

only reason i could see to rebuild it would be to redo the entire design and put the theatres on the 2nd level, which would open up the ground floor for more west side retail/restaurant space

if they did that maybe they could incorporate an imax somehow, or whatever is popular at that point,

would be cool to maybe make a 3rd floor with high tech mini theatres with the new vibrating seats and new gadgets that maybe arent invented yet

Next Big Thing

why would they demolish it and rebuild? I"m sure the theatres inside have been remodeled more than once in the time that its been there

only reason i could see to rebuild it would be to redo the entire design and put the theatres on the 2nd level, which would open up the ground floor for more west side retail/restaurant space

if they did that maybe they could incorporate an imax somehow, or whatever is popular at that point,

would be cool to maybe make a 3rd floor with high tech mini theatres with the new vibrating seats and new gadgets that maybe arent invented yet
The theatres need a major remodel soon than later and the dine-in side is in terrible shape.

This coming from someone who just recently finished working there. The place is disgusting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom