Future of universal

matt9112

Original Poster
So there's already volcano bay well on its way as well as sapphire falls and the expansion to cabbana bay so what's next? I think most of us know about the 400+ plus acres universal recently purchased. And on top of that we know they want more resort rooms but here's the real kicker....a third gate in all reality is it that far out of an idea? Taylor on the Orlando informer seems to mention it a bit and he I seems to be in the loop with most things. Is this something that for sure will be announced soon or never? Maybe t'en years down the road even?

What's your thoughts?

yeti

I predict ten years from now there'll be a third park at Universal. Just an educated opinion....well, educated by hearsay on the internet...no insider backup.

As far as the other parks go...Avengers and Nintendoland in the 2019-20 timeframe. Fast and Furious, Jimmy Fallon and Volcano Bay within the next couple of years. More hotels. So much going on I might start calling myself a wand waver! :)

trr1

I predict ten years from now there'll be a third park at Universal. Just an educated opinion....well, educated by hearsay on the internet...no insider backup.

As far as the other parks go...Avengers and Nintendoland in the 2019-20 timeframe. Fast and Furious, Jimmy Fallon and Volcano Bay within the next couple of years. More hotels. So much going on I might start calling myself a wand waver! :)
Isn't Volcano Bay going to be the third park and don't for get wet and wild

IAmFloridaBorn

Personally forget the 450 acres. I know that's not going to happen but I want to see them build the entire land plot they own on the west side of I4 up completely. Cabana Bay, Volcano Bay, and Sapphire Falls have all somewhat addressed that issues. Now I'd like to see expansion plots built out and under utilized rides re-worked for capacity and quality. I hope the future continues with the same care and consideration they have shown the last 5 years.

Cam Eplion

You're not lying when you say Uni has the crown of innovation right now. Since TWWoHP Universal has absolutely killed Disney. Disney has been trying to figure out how to counter Uni since then. Now with Star Wars, and Toy Story coming to DHS, Disney knows they've got some breathing room, as well as Avatar Land is another fine addition. But I think Universal can really stay ahead because of one thing that's about to happen in terms of Disney. Bob Iger. Leaving the company soon, and he's been the key role in bringing Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar I believe, I know they acquired Pixar in 2006 but I'm not entirely sure if Iger was head of the company at that time. If Uni can go full speed ahead and start work on the 3rd park once Iger leaves, and things are in a transition phase for Disney. Universal can push themselves out even further.

matt clark

toy story looks insanely boring for what it COULD be.
it honestly looks like if you are over the age of 3 you could just walk past it and not even care.
avatar and star wars should open around the time universals third gate opens LOL LOL LOL

No Name

I think the third gate should aim right at magic kingdom the only reason we bought Disney passes is because my son is 5. If universal can capture us too...done.

I wonder whether Disney has some kind of copyright on the whole idea or on parts of a castle park. Obviously the name "Magic Kingdom" is trademarked, but I really don't know how far it goes beyond that. Anyway, regardless of copyrights, if Universal were to copy the style of the park, they'd be panned for sure. Unless they did it better. But lets be real. Even with all of the technology avaiable, a whole 45 years later, can either company as they stand today do better than the Magic Kingdom?

What Universal would have to do is capture the magic and feel of the MK in some other way. But without a castle in the middle, and with the plethora of movie-based rides they'd more than likely have, would it be any different from their other two parks? Whatever they choose, they really need to "step outside of their shell" and do something creative. Movie park #3 is not creative. Do something shocking, do something original. That's how they'll succeed.

lazyboy97o

I wonder whether Disney has some kind of copyright on the whole idea or on parts of a castle park. Obviously the name "Magic Kingdom" is trademarked, but I really don't know how far it goes beyond that. Anyway, regardless of copyrights, if Universal were to copy the style of the park, they'd be panned for sure. Unless they did it better. But lets be real. Even with all of the technology avaiable, a whole 45 years later, can either company as they stand today do better than the Magic Kingdom?

What Universal would have to do is capture the magic and feel of the MK in some other way. But without a castle in the middle, and with the plethora of movie-based rides they'd more than likely have, would it be any different from their other two parks? Whatever they choose, they really need to "step outside of their shell" and do something creative. Movie park #3 is not creative. Do something shocking, do something original. That's how they'll succeed.
Copyright protects creative works and they are protected at the moment of their creation. All Disney can really own are the specific designs. One cannot own the general idea of family entertainnent with a younger skew.

andysol

they really need to "step outside of their shell" and do something creative.
So what they've been doing the last 6 years isn't creative? Huh? What? Did they not single-handedly turn the theme park industry on its head? Are we- for good or bad- not getting carsland, Star Wars land, and toy story land as a direct result of universals creativity?
Have you seen the outside of Kong, for heavens sake? I've seen nothing like that from Disney. Avatar will blow Kong's doors off regarding themeing- I'm sure of it- but that, too, is a direct result of universals creativity and raising the bar- not Disney.

The moral of my story is Universal has been the leader in creativity- easily- since 2010. Not even a contest. And given the option of Disney making a 5th park or Universal making a 3rd- I'd stake my claim on universal bringing something bigger and better to the table.

Last edited:

No Name

Copyright protects creative works and they are protected at the moment of their creation. All Disney can really own are the specific designs. One cannot own the general idea of family entertainnent with a younger skew.

Well, I get that, sort of. But I wonder what specific elements they have covered. For instance, do they have a copyright on the design of a park with a castle in the center? Or is that too broad, and they only have a copyright on the design of the castle itself? Or do they not have copyright on any of it? Do they have a copyright on Main Street USA or just a trademark on the name?

King, the game developer who made Candy Crush, got the word "candy" trademarked two years ago. They abandoned the trademark in the US shortly after they got it approved (though they may still have it in Europe) but still, it's worrying that the got it approved in the first place. Copyrights, trademarks, patents, and all of that are good to a certain extent.

I'm sure you don't have all of the answers and I don't expect anyone on here to. I just wonder.

So what they've been doing the last 6 years isn't creative? Huh? What? Did they not single-handedly turn the theme park industry on its head? Are we- for good or bad- not getting carsland, Star Wars land, and toy story land as a direct result of universals creativity?
Have you seen the outside of Kong, for heavens sake? I've seen nothing like that from Disney. Avatar will blow Kong's doors off regarding themeing- I'm sure of it- but that, too, is a direct result of universals creativity and raising the bar- not Disney.

The moral of my story is Universal has been the leader in creativity- easily- since 2010. Not even a contest. And given the option of Disney making a 5th park or Universal making a 3rd- I'd stake my claim on universal bringing something bigger and better to the table.

Oh no no no, certainly Universal has been doing a great job. The Hary Potter Lands are excellent. They are very very well done. Beyond well done. Amazing. Kong also looks great. That's not at all what I meant. Sorry if you misunderstood, perhaps I should've been more clear.

Lets start back in 1999. Universal Orlando was opening their second park, Islands of Adventure. While Universal Studios was about the movies, Islands of Adventure would be about books and literature. Oooh! That made the two parks somewhat different and unique. That made Islands of Adventure... wait for it... creative!

But then, in 2010, Hogsmeade opened in Islands of Adventure. One of the most highly themed parts of a theme park, it was beyond excellent. But it was in the wrong park, because, lets face it, it's based off of the movies, not the books. Now Kong is being built, which is also based on a movie (or movies). So we now have Universal Studios and Universal Studios: Do Islands make me cooler?

Basically, Universal suddenly knows how to do nothing but make excellent rides based off of movies. That is the shell that they need to step out of when coming up with the third park. The recent lands and rides are spectacular. I wouldn't call the big picture creative, I would say it's the opposite. And it'll cost them down the road.

Magic Kingdom is a great park. But did Disney build MK, MK #2, MK #3, and MK #4? No. That would've been terribly uncreative. Similarly, it will be terribly uncreative if Universal's third park is Universal Studios: Hey, we got more land! Two parks with the same theme is okay. Three is redundant, and will not lead to great success.

lazyboy97o

Well, I get that, sort of. But I wonder what specific elements they have covered. For instance, do they have a copyright on the design of a park with a castle in the center? Or is that too broad, and they only have a copyright on the design of the castle itself? Or do they not have copyright on any of it? Do they have a copyright on Main Street USA or just a trademark on the name?

King, the game developer who made Candy Crush, got the word "candy" trademarked two years ago. They abandoned the trademark in the US shortly after they got it approved (though they may still have it in Europe) but still, it's worrying that the got it approved in the first place. Copyrights, trademarks, patents, and all of that are good to a certain extent.

I'm sure you don't have all of the answers and I don't expect anyone on here to. I just wonder.
You're confusing a lot of different terminology that are not the same things. Copyright on architectural works is a somewhat recent inclusion in the United States with the vast majority of both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom predating that legal framework. Even then, the organization of the parks themselves is not a creation of Disney. The hub and spoke model was already well established in planning before 1955. Even the castle would be a dubious claim as uniqueness because the whole point of the hub is to centralize an important structure. The walled village which surrounds a castle is quite the medieval cliche and it did not come about after Disneyland.

A trademark does not denote ownership of a word, it denotes usage related to trade and does not require registration. Even rejection of a registration does not mean also mean that trademark is invalid.

All that said, I think you are hung up on a weird issue that is not intended. The idea of Universal building a more Magic Kingdom style park would not mean copying the park's organization but pursuing the same younger demographics.

No Name

All that said, I think you are hung up on a weird issue that is not intended. The idea of Universal building a more Magic Kingdom style park would not mean copying the park's organization but pursuing the same younger demographics.

Yes, you are right, I am hung up on a weird issue. Not the first time that's happened. It would be more about the demographic then the park's organization, I agree.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think it'd be great for Uni to copy Disney in the idea of a hub-and-spoke park. That layout is just ideal.
And it would be nice to have more definitive "themes" to each park, but, really, even Disney is getting away from that. Mostly in the fact that movies pervade into EVERY park, regardless of theme. Still, I'd like it...

matt9112

Original Poster
I think it'd be great for Uni to copy Disney in the idea of a hub-and-spoke park. That layout is just ideal.
And it would be nice to have more definitive "themes" to each park, but, really, even Disney is getting away from that. Mostly in the fact that movies pervade into EVERY park, regardless of theme. Still, I'd like it...

Although it shouldnt be like the magic kibgdom exactly like yoy said a hub and spoke...a classic main street of some kind. (I love port of entry but its too exotic to be in MK style park right?) I wouldnt mind a fantasy based main street....think whoville colors and detail but little more realstic. Something that pops. And than you can do your themed lands. You dont even need as many if they are large and intricate 3 lands would probably suffice. But i really think they need a huge row of kiddie dark rides and such ala fantasyland. Give adults like me a reason to take young children

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom