Fun with Google Earth

SunsetGrill7

I love the google earth version, but the 3D could use some work. I still wish disney would put live streaming cams around the parks so you can log on and see.

I agree completely with the streaming cams. That along with professionally done park & resort walkthroughs on DVD.

The webcam pages would be a great form of advertising for Disney and even ad revenue from their partners. What better way to make guests long for WDW then by showing them all the fun live? The walkthrough DVD's I think would be very popular for those who want reminders of their last trip, along with help pre-planning their next visit.

Skunk

I agree completely with the streaming cams.

Dunno about streaming video, but the main WDW website used to have still feeds from the parks. They would update with a live pic about once a minute I think. Do they not have them anymore?

One time I had a friend log on to the site and I waved to him from MGM. You could see the camara at MGM, after you came in the front gates if you turned back to towards the gates there was a camera on the roof of the left side of the turnstile structure.

It was a long time ago when I last looked at the site.

Googled just now, here's a link that confirms it...

http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/09/10/disney-world-web-cam-anyone-anyone-bueller-bueller/

Rob562

Does anyone know what all these roads are for? Seems odd to just have a random set of winding roads for no reason

Hard to say.

Could be something original to the property when they bought it...

Or it could be an off-road test course for Safari drivers... (Or perhaps used by WDI/Central Shops to test the Safari trucks out while the park was still being built) Some of those twists and turns among the trees are very reminiscent of KS. I'll see if I can get in touch with a former Safari driver I know.

-Rob

Rob562

Hard to say.

Could be something original to the property when they bought it...

Or it could be an off-road test course for Safari drivers... (Or perhaps used by WDI/Central Shops to test the Safari trucks out while the park was still being built) Some of those twists and turns among the trees are very reminiscent of KS. I'll see if I can get in touch with a former Safari driver I know.

-Rob

Yes, I'm quoting myself rather than editing...

My CM contact said it's not (nor ever was) any kind of training ground for safari drivers.

My guess is that the trails existed from long ago, and there are some CMs in-the-know who have access and just use them for fun offroading now. People like security, RCFD, Reedy Creek utility people (there's a cell tower and high-tension lines nearby).

-Rob

IWant2GoNow

Yes, I'm quoting myself rather than editing...

My CM contact said it's not (nor ever was) any kind of training ground for safari drivers.

My guess is that the trails existed from long ago, and there are some CMs in-the-know who have access and just use them for fun offroading now. People like security, RCFD, Reedy Creek utility people (there's a cell tower and high-tension lines nearby).

-Rob

Darn. I always hoped that spot was ground-breaking/clearing for a secret 5th gate. :cry::lookaroun:lol:

deltableh

If you're every really curious about something, go to maps.live.com, and use their Bird's Eye view. It gets you nice and close :)

DonaldDoleWhip

I wish that there were still commercial flights to STOLport (apparently these flights existed in the 70s) - talk about convenient access to WL, Poly, CR, or GF!

Fantasmic

I know this will spark debate but...

3D / Google Earth Disney makes me realize how much of a mistake the Giant Hat in DHS is sometimes.

That was the best Hidden Mickey. THe one created at the center of the then MGM studios.

I like the hat, but it was a mistake where it is now. Google Earth just reminds me of it...

Seriously... That hidden mickey was destroyed in 1994 when sunset boulevard opened. Not really anything to do with the hat.

The hat destroys the view of the Grauman's when entering the park.

MrMorrowTom

How about the wasted space in Epoct they call the outpost. Disney could really do something here that can attract more people to the world showcase.

Plus anyone see the old River Country water park off of Bay Lake. Its just sitting there wasting away. Could of really did something there too.

Griffin

I've recently become addicted to analyzing every square inch of the WDW property via Google Earth. I've made a few observations:

1. I get excited at the amount of free land they still have... I get a warm feeling knowing they can still build huge cool places.

2. The downtown disney parking lot is freaking huge. Look at it, its nearly as large as Epcot's parking lot... I have a hard time believing it's ever full.

3. There is an unsavoury-looking collection of what appears to be junked vehicles, just off the access road to the Swan/Dolphin/Caribbean Beach area, and just to the right of the large main road that heads north the TTC... anyone know what this is? The Disney Junkyard?

4. I love the gigantic "hidden" mickey that's made from pools, in the center of the racetrack.

Anyone else have any interesting observations?

I didn't even consider Google earth til now. Thanks for suggesting it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom