Fun with Google Earth

lunarsquid

Original Poster
I've recently become addicted to analyzing every square inch of the WDW property via Google Earth. I've made a few observations:

1. I get excited at the amount of free land they still have... I get a warm feeling knowing they can still build huge cool places.

2. The downtown disney parking lot is freaking huge. Look at it, its nearly as large as Epcot's parking lot... I have a hard time believing it's ever full.

3. There is an unsavoury-looking collection of what appears to be junked vehicles, just off the access road to the Swan/Dolphin/Caribbean Beach area, and just to the right of the large main road that heads north the TTC... anyone know what this is? The Disney Junkyard?

4. I love the gigantic "hidden" mickey that's made from pools, in the center of the racetrack.

Anyone else have any interesting observations?

ImaYoyo

Try local.live.com , It will have a lot more detail in many of the pictures.

Check out the Chinese Theater Courtyard at MGM studios. It's a giant hidden mickey.

There are 2 trailor parks on property that are the actual towns of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.

ag2000

1. Ever realize how close cars are to main street usa? that parked right behind the buildings down main street. I wondered what would happen if a car alarm went off by accident, never heard it but im sure people in the park would.

2. There are alot of backstage areas that disney covers up great because i never knew they existed.

3. The haunted mansion is tiny compared to the building the ride takes place in.

stevencarlton

I love looking at the Parks from a birds-eye view, and one thing I've always wondered about are the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon. One in particular (see link below) has some intriguing structures on it which led me to wonder if Disney has any type of security to keep people off those islands. I mean, you can rent a watercraft and just sail right over to one of the islands and disembark otherwise. I know I'd be tempted to ride my Sea Raycer over there and check out this island.

Anyone know what's there?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.412222,-81.581616&spn=0.001172,0.002334&t=h&z=19

WDW Monorail

I love looking at the Parks from a birds-eye view, and one thing I've always wondered about are the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon. One in particular (see link below) has some intriguing structures on it which led me to wonder if Disney has any type of security to keep people off those islands. I mean, you can rent a watercraft and just sail right over to one of the islands and disembark otherwise. I know I'd be tempted to ride my Sea Raycer over there and check out this island.

Anyone know what's there?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.412222,-81.581616&spn=0.001172,0.002334&t=h&z=19

That's firework's Island. What you see are mortar racks. Many shows were fired from this location in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The site is still used for Disney's NYE and 4th of July shows as well as APA shows every few years.

rkelly42

I love the google earth version, but the 3D could use some work. I still wish disney would put live streaming cams around the parks so you can log on and see.

Helena123

I was quite impressed with the 3D when I looked last, it took a while to load but was very detailed when it did, especially on the main landmarks/attractions :)
Streaming cameras would be good but then there are privacy issues and such

DisneyJoe

which led me to wonder if Disney has any type of security to keep people off those islands. I mean, you can rent a watercraft and just sail right over to one of the islands and disembark otherwise. I know I'd be tempted to ride my Sea Raycer over there and check out this island

The patrol boats, which are faster than any Sea Raycer, constantly monitor the water traffic. If you get anywhere close to a restricted area, they would be next to you in a heartbeat.

Frank&Ollie

I know this will spark debate but...

3D / Google Earth Disney makes me realize how much of a mistake the Giant Hat in DHS is sometimes.

That was the best Hidden Mickey. THe one created at the center of the then MGM studios.

I like the hat, but it was a mistake where it is now. Google Earth just reminds me of it...

rock_doctor

There is a story elsewhere where somebody made a pit stop on Discovery Island and before he made it off the beach security was running him down. They are watching the guests much closer then they appear to be.

interface2x

Last year, I went through Google Earth and made a bunch of screenshots of the 3D models. I also then tried to match a couple of pictures I took as closely as possible - they can be found here. I think the 3D models are pretty good!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom