Fun way to tell kids about Disney trip

captcanada

My 4 year old daughter is obsessed with Sleeping Beauty. For our trip last year (our first), we had "Aurora" send her a package in the mail. When she was upstairs, we put the box on the doorstep and rang the doorbell. It was a wooden chest with a letter from Aurora inviting us to Disney. I also included the Birnbaum's For Kids, by Kids book, a rose and a countdown chain. She absolutely loved all of it! And so did I :)
Ok...that was brilliant too.
I think the Disney folks here at WDWMagic are some of the more creative (and friendly) people around.

Upvote 0

captcanada

I surprised my 4 yr old DS for his birthday by giving him a treasure hunt. "Sleeping Beauty" left the first clue on his pillow, he got the second clue from "Aladdin" when we dropped off our dog on his 'vacation'. The third clue was from 'Sabastian' at the airport, and He got the last clue from Mom & Dad just before we drove thru the gate! It was magical (probably more so for me :) ), I just don't know how I'll ever get away with a WDW surprise trip again!
Where there is a will, there is a way ;-)
I'm sure you'll think of something. Sometimes planning something like this can be 1/2 the fun =)

Upvote 0

brisem

Three years ago told them we were driving to Myrtle Beach and when we came to the exit, my wife gave them a present--Mickey Ears and told them we were going to Disney.
This year we're telling them that I have a business trip to go on and they're going to drive me to the airport. When we get there, we'll tell them that we're going to Disney.

Upvote 0

KevGuy

Two weeks ago we booked our first trip to disney, going in April (12-20). We stayed up until 3 am that night booking all the stuff etc. Then decided to wait and decide how to tell the kids( 6&9) and agreed that we wanted to do something special. About 10 hours later after we got back from church my wife decides to call a family meeting where we all sit at the kitchen table and meet. She then informs me what she is gonna do (let them know) as keeping it quite was making her about to burst lol. Needless to say the kids went crazy with excitement, and we had the disney planning DVD on hand to watch after the news was broke to them. I just laughed it was pretty comical. But make no mistake I am just as excited as them, I'm in my late 30's and never went to Disney either so right now I'm probably the biggest kid you'll ever meet ahaha. I now kid with my wife when I get home from work every day and ask her at dinner in front of the kids when is April gonna get here. :lol:

Upvote 0

captcanada

Two weeks ago we booked our first trip to disney, going in April (12-20). We stayed up until 3 am that night booking all the stuff etc. Then decided to wait and decide how to tell the kids( 6&9) and agreed that we wanted to do something special. About 10 hours later after we got back from church my wife decides to call a family meeting where we all sit at the kitchen table and meet. She then informs me what she is gonna do (let them know) as keeping it quite was making her about to burst lol. Needless to say the kids went crazy with excitement, and we had the disney planning DVD on hand to watch after the news was broke to them. I just laughed it was pretty comical. But make no mistake I am just as excited as them, I'm in my late 30's and never went to Disney either so right now I'm probably the biggest kid you'll ever meet ahaha. I now kid with my wife when I get home from work every day and ask her at dinner in front of the kids when is April gonna get here. :lol:
Welcome to the boards!!
I'm 33, and every time I go, I'm like a 6'1 child.
Once you go....you're hooked.
Of course, we'll all expect photo's and a trip report when you return.
I can also say, without much doubt, that once you return from your trip....you'll be on this site alot, to help you get your "Disney fix" untill your next trip. Don't try to fight it, just accept it, and enjoy the ride ;-)

Upvote 0

KevGuy

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm already feeling that way now lol. If I don't buzz the Disney site at least once a day and look at some videos of the attractions, then visit the travel sites to make sure my trip is still booked, I feel like something is missing. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

pinkrose

Welcome to the boards!!
I'm 33, and every time I go, I'm like a 6'1 child.
Once you go....you're hooked.
Of course, we'll all expect photo's and a trip report when you return.
I can also say, without much doubt, that once you return from your trip....you'll be on this site alot, to help you get your "Disney fix" untill your next trip. Don't try to fight it, just accept it, and enjoy the ride ;-)

He's so right. :lol:

Welcome to the boards KevGuy!

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

That is pure genius!
I love it.
I suspect that this will be one of those moments as a parent, that you will be able to remember and enjoy until the end of time.
And....I bet your kids will hold the memory just as long, from their own perspective, too.
I wonder who will enjoy it more?
(there really is something special about seeing things through the eyes of a child, and watching them "freak out" in excitement, and knowing you caused it ;-)

Thank ya! I also just found that you can redeem your movie reward points for phone calls from different characters! http://disney.go.com/disneymovierewards/
It takes 300 points for 4 calls. You can also "buy" calls for $2.49 each at http://www.disneyenchantedcalls.com

It's mostley Princessess, but Mickey, Pooh and Tigger are on there too! :sohappy: So guess what I'm about to set up :lol:

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

We surprised the kids for a trip in October. The weekend before we left we took them shopping for Halloween costumes. When we got in the store, I said "Ok, go look around and see what you like. Just remember whatever you get has to be Disney friendly" and I pulled out 4 tickets to MNSSHP. People came running to our aisle to see what all the screaming was about! My youngest grabbed me in a big hug and bounced me up and down the aisle! :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom