Ft Wilderness Railroad

rangerbob

There is still some track left in some areas. One of the next times that I'm camping I need to bring a saw and get a piece of it. It is completely loose and if we could lift a 20+' piece of track we could have walked out with it. From friend have one of the splices that they used on it that we found we were bushwhacking the area.

GrammieBee

We were fortunate enough to ride the train in 1974 and again in 1978. On our next trip, it was gone. After forty years of visiting WDW, my husband still talks about the train in Fort Wilderness. He says it is the one thing he most misses of all the early attractions in WDW.

Last edited:

klineski96

Original Poster
Here's another follow up question regarding the possible Brevard Zoo / Ft Wilderness Railroad connection.

Do any of you know WHEN the actually track was removed from Ft Wilderness? Again, that zoo opened in 1994, and the FWRR closed/stopped running in the late 70's... my initial thought was "the timeline doesn't add up." But that doesn't mean the actual track couldn't have simply sat unused for a 12 or so years. Is that what happened? Did they let the tracks sit unused for years until the Brevard Zoo came around asking for the track?

The Brevard Zoo actually has something call the Railroad Engineer Program.
https://brevardzoo.org/membership/railroad_engineer

I'm planning on calling them to see if anyone there (who has been there awhile) can confirm if they are in fact using the old FWRR tracks.

Not sure why, I just find Disney history fascinating. Especially closed attractions, rides no longer running, extinct/abandoned areas etc... and this is kinda fun to talk about because you can still walk the grounds of FW and actually see where the train once ran. Very cool stuff.

GrammieBee

Here's another follow up question regarding the possible Brevard Zoo / Ft Wilderness Railroad connection.

Do any of you know WHEN the actually track was removed from Ft Wilderness? Again, that zoo opened in 1994, and the FWRR closed/stopped running in the late 70's... my initial thought was "the timeline doesn't add up." But that doesn't mean the actual track couldn't have simply sat unused for a 12 or so years. Is that what happened? Did they let the tracks sit unused for years until the Brevard Zoo came around asking for the track?

The Brevard Zoo actually has something call the Railroad Engineer Program.
https://brevardzoo.org/membership/railroad_engineer

I'm planning on calling them to see if anyone there (who has been there awhile) can confirm if they are in fact using the old FWRR tracks.

Not sure why, I just find Disney history fascinating. Especially closed attractions, rides no longer running, extinct/abandoned areas etc... and this is kinda fun to talk about because you can still walk the grounds of FW and actually see where the train once ran. Very cool stuff.

The train was still running on a regular schedule during the summer of 1978. When we returned to the campground four years later it was completely gone, but you could still see where the tracks once crossed the road. Hope this narows down the time frame for you.

mm121

Never knew this existed, but this is so cool.. Too bad its been gone for so long.

This is just the type of above and beyond creativity that we just dont see anymore.

Now its like, build a train. NO!

Buses are good enough and heck we already own those so the bean counters will be happy.

Timon

Here is some FtW RR pictures I've collected.

As it was.
Ft%2520W%2520Train%252002.jpg

Old Round House ...er...Train Barn...Locomotive Shed...whatever!?
Ft%2520Wilderness%2520Roundhouse%2520-%25202012%252003.jpg

In storage - forgotten
Ft%2520Wilderness%2520RR%252004.jpg

A restored car by a collector. Yay!
Ft%2520Wilderness%2520RR%2520Restored%2520Car%252001.jpg

SnarkyMonkey

This page gives a very good description of what happened, after the years of improper storage. Here is you FWR today:

"Michael Broggie made a trip to Disney in 1995 while conducting research for his book,Walt Disneys Railroad Story. During his visit he asked his guide about what became of the campground trains. Soon Michael was brought to a storage yard (Disneys's term for swamp) and was shown a horrible sight of the engines & coaches rusting and rotting away. Michael soon met with members of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society to discuss ways of possibly aquiring the trains for members to restore.

After five years of negoiating, the twelve remaining passenger cars and all four engines were acquired and transported to various society members located in California and Oregon. Engine #1 went to Jim Zordich in Oregon, #2 & #3 both went to Bill Dundas in California, and the #4 went to Michael Campbell also located in California."

Timon

I read about these people whon have taken the engines home, I'm very grateful they will get some care. That page you mention is several years old and I can't find any new reports about the restorations. I anyone knows of the progress being made it would be great to share the pictures.

Jwhee

I am nearly 100% sure that the train depot still exists
Anyone know if they still have the train cart at Typhoon Lagoon?

SnarkyMonkey

I read about these people whon have taken the engines home, I'm very grateful they will get some care. That page you mention is several years old and I can't find any new reports about the restorations. I anyone knows of the progress being made it would be great to share the pictures.

Is there anything else to restore? Hasn't everything already been salvaged and restored?

Timon

Since restorations can take years I was hoping one of the owners would post pictures of the progress made and any comments.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The strange Adam the Woo history video

Thank you for sharing the video from Adam the Woo. As usual, he always finds these obscure places at WDW to film. Old, abandoned railroad routes across the country are always fascinating to explore; the one at Fort Wilderness is no exception.

klineski96

Original Poster
There is still some track left in some areas. One of the next times that I'm camping I need to bring a saw and get a piece of it. It is completely loose and if we could lift a 20+' piece of track we could have walked out with it. From friend have one of the splices that they used on it that we found we were bushwhacking the area.

I can't imagine that being A) legal and B) a quick task.
Cutting through a railroad track would likely take awhile lol

On a related note, does Disney care at all if one goes tromping around in the woods at FW? I don't recall seeing any "no trespassing / do not cross / keep out / cast member only" signs the last time I was there. (Around the heavily wooded areas that are obviously off the beaten path.)

klineski96

Original Poster

Yeah great site... lots of GREAT info. I've been on it a few times in the past.

They stopped just short of saying exactly what year the track was removed. I think they simply say: "late 80's." (Not that it REALLY matters, it was just my curiosity.) Was just hoping a former cast member, long time cast member, or guest at the time ever saw the track being removed and new the year.

Still fascinating to think that a portion of the track is still there, after 40 years! Disney history, tangible evidence, similar to the back of the rock walls that surrounded the River Country pool and slides that is visible behind the parking lot near the horse stables at Ft Wilderness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom