Ft.Wilderness cabins tips

ELG13

Original Poster
Going for the first week of October and we are so excited! We have always stayed at value resorts because we have always done short trips(3 nights max). This year we are staying for 6 nights and brining both kids. My cousin and his daughter may go or my mom may come. I figured with that many people for that long (and especially with multiple kids) we needed more than just a room and the outside space is amazing...I hate being cooped up in a hotel with kids! So that being said, what do we need to know about this place? I've done some research and have our golf cart booked, I know about all of the extra stuff they have there but what are some things about the cabin and maybe some tips or tricks yall have learned from your stay there?? What all should we pack for the cabin. How are the new convection ovens?? We plan on doing breakfast at the cabin every morning except for when we have CRT ADRs. Thanks for any insight!!!

MySmallWorldof4

Going for the first week of October and we are so excited! We have always stayed at value resorts because we have always done short trips(3 nights max). This year we are staying for 6 nights and brining both kids. My cousin and his daughter may go or my mom may come. I figured with that many people for that long (and especially with multiple kids) we needed more than just a room and the outside space is amazing...I hate being cooped up in a hotel with kids! So that being said, what do we need to know about this place? I've done some research and have our golf cart booked, I know about all of the extra stuff they have there but what are some things about the cabin and maybe some tips or tricks yall have learned from your stay there?? What all should we pack for the cabin. How are the new convection ovens?? We plan on doing breakfast at the cabin every morning except for when we have CRT ADRs. Thanks for any insight!!!
My family has stayed in the Cabins for our last 4 visits. Getting the golf cart was an important step. Half the fun of staying there is riding around the loops in it. Plus you are going when people will have their RV's decked out for Halloween. Definitely drive around in the golf cart and check out the loops. You can decorate the carts with lights. We used battery powered ones and taped them to the carts.

We never used the convection oven, but there are instructions on it. There is enough silverware, plates, and cups for 6 for one meal. There is dishwasher detergent by the sink, paper towels, a toaster, coffee maker, teapot, cutting board, and pans. The fridge and dishwasher are full sized.

You don't need to bring towels. You use the towels they provide for the pool. There is no exchange at the pool though. You take them back to the room. The qs at the pool is good and there are lots of picnic tables.

Take the golf cart to The Settlement for Trail's End and for the lounge and to go area. You can see the Cinderella's horses at the Tri Circle D Ranch. Park the cart by the beach. Then you can take watercraft to MK or to WL and CR.

We never use the bus service. We generally drive to all parks but MK. So I cannot comment on the buses.

Hope this helps. :)

ELG13

Original Poster
My family has stayed in the Cabins for our last 4 visits. Getting the golf cart was an important step. Half the fun of staying there is riding around the loops in it. Plus you are going when people will have their RV's decked out for Halloween. Definitely drive around in the golf cart and check out the loops. You can decorate the carts with lights. We used battery powered ones and taped them to the carts.

We never used the convection oven, but there are instructions on it. There is enough silverware, plates, and cups for 6 for one meal. There is dishwasher detergent by the sink, paper towels, a toaster, coffee maker, teapot, cutting board, and pans. The fridge and dishwasher are full sized.

You don't need to bring towels. You use the towels they provide for the pool. There is no exchange at the pool though. You take them back to the room. The qs at the pool is good and there are lots of picnic tables.

Take the golf cart to The Settlement for Trail's End and for the lounge and to go area. You can see the Cinderella's horses at the Tri Circle D Ranch. Park the cart by the beach. Then you can take watercraft to MK or to WL and CR.

We never use the bus service. We generally drive to all parks but MK. So I cannot comment on the buses.

Hope this helps. :)

Totally helps...I was wondering about paper towels, dish detergent etc. Nice to know it's included. Any suggestions on what loops are best??
I'm also so excited for the halloween decorations! I meant to get stuff on sale last year for the trip (we've been booked since last July lol) but somewhere along the line we said we may not go so I held off. I'm brining decorations for our cart and cabin...even gonna bring a pumpkin spice candle for while we are in the cabin to really set it off!! I LOOOOOOVE HALLOWEEN!! We always go around that time when we go to disney. I love how they decorate the MK. Do they decorate for Halloween in the other parks or is it just bc of mnsshp??
I always say we are going to go for the Christmas decorations but since they stopped the festival of lights (or whatever it was called at HS perhaps??) I have just been sticking to ole faithful Halloween. I mean is there a better combo that disney and halloween?!?!?!

ELG13

Original Poster
We will be using bus service to to her parks. But with the boat that takes us to MK where we can catch the monorail to the close resorts correct? we have ADRS at chef mickeys and ohana. For both of those we will be leaving from the resort so I'm trying to get a route planned. We've never done the boat...is it the big ferry or the cute little blue canopy boats you see on the commercials?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Everything that @MySmallWorldof4 said. Do decorate your cabin for Halloween. That's part of the great fun of staying at the Cabins - people decorate their cabins at both Halloween and Christmas. We've only stayed at the Cabins once, 2 years before the renovations. I made the mistake of not reserving a golf cart in advance - won't do that again. We really enjoyed our stay - lovely grounds, peaceful (no one running outside your door or room above you at 6AM!), lots to do. And you park right outside your Cabin - no long trek from the car to your room!

Not sure if it's still available, but you used to be able to order groceries through Ft. Wilderness's general store - convenient if you don't have a car. If that service is no longer available, there's Garden Grocers.

Yes, all the parks - and resorts - will be decorated, but not to the extent of MK.

MySmallWorldof4

We will be using bus service to to her parks. But with the boat that takes us to MK where we can catch the monorail to the close resorts correct? we have ADRS at chef mickeys and ohana. For both of those we will be leaving from the resort so I'm trying to get a route planned. We've never done the boat...is it the big ferry or the cute little blue canopy boats you see on the commercials?
You can take the watercraft right to CR. For Poly you can walk into CR and monorail to it. You can always take the monorail to TTC and then Epcot. This seems like a hassle at night though with crowds.

The boat to MK is a bigger one. No need to fod a stroller if you are taking one. It is covered. The ones to the CR and WL from FW are the smaller ones.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Yes, you can take the boat from Ft. Wilderness to MK and then the resort monorail to all three monorail resorts (CR, Poly and GF). The big ferry boat runs from the Ticketing and Transportation Center to MK only. The smaller boats run from MK to GF, Poly, WL and Ft. Wilderness. If you're eating at Chef Mickey's, it may be faster to walk from MK to the Contemporary - it's a 10 minute walk, max.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You can take the watercraft right to CR. For Poly you can walk into CR and monorail to it. You can always take the monorail to TTC and then Epcot. This seems like a hassle at night though with crowds.

The boat to MK is a bigger one. No need to fod a stroller if you are taking one. It is covered. The ones to the CR and WL from FW are the smaller ones.

I keep forgetting the Ft. Wilderness boat makes that stop.....

ELG13

Original Poster
Everything that @MySmallWorldof4 said. Do decorate your cabin for Halloween. That's part of the great fun of staying at the Cabins - people decorate their cabins at both Halloween and Christmas. We've only stayed at the Cabins once, 2 years before the renovations. I made the mistake of not reserving a golf cart in advance - won't do that again. We really enjoyed our stay - lovely grounds, peaceful (no one running outside your door or room above you at 6AM!), lots to do. And you park right outside your Cabin - no long trek from the car to your room!

Not sure if it's still available, but you used to be able to order groceries through Ft. Wilderness's general store - convenient if you don't have a car. If that service is no longer available, there's Garden Grocers.

Yes, all the parks - and resorts - will be decorated, but not to the extent of MK.
The privacy is one of the big sellers for us. Our kids aren't well traveled so to speak so the idea of keeping them in a hotel for that long was terrifying lol. They need room to roam (yes, even after running the parks all day). It's really out of respect for other we chose to stay there. I didn't want to be those jerks with the loud kids late at night or early. I've been on the receiving end of that before and it's such a frustration when you are on vacay!! I'm so long forward to coffee on the deck in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening!!
We booked our cart through an outside company. We need a 6 seater and I wasn't comfortable with the propertys way of reserving their limited number of 6 seater carts. Honestly, this part really caught me off guard. It's not very "Disney" the way they handle it.
As far as groceries, we are driving and plan on bringing ad much as we can. I haven't heard about ordering groceries from them but I've been making a list on the garden grocer site. I'm not totally opposed to swinging in to the publix or sumer target before we arrive though...thats gonna be a closer to game time decision once we know how much room we have in the car and how many groceries we have room to bring. Without that loooong trek from the parking lot to the room, I'm ok with a car full of stuff this trip!
I had no idea they ran boats to CR. Is it that much quicker to ride to mk and then walk to CR for the monorail to get to the poky vs just catching the mono at mk to poly?? How much time would you say the boats take to mk and to cr?? How much time I guess should I give to get to poly from ft.wilderness?

MySmallWorldof4

The privacy is one of the big sellers for us. Our kids aren't well traveled so to speak so the idea of keeping them in a hotel for that long was terrifying lol. They need room to roam (yes, even after running the parks all day). It's really out of respect for other we chose to stay there. I didn't want to be those jerks with the loud kids late at night or early. I've been on the receiving end of that before and it's such a frustration when you are on vacay!! I'm so long forward to coffee on the deck in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening!!
We booked our cart through an outside company. We need a 6 seater and I wasn't comfortable with the propertys way of reserving their limited number of 6 seater carts. Honestly, this part really caught me off guard. It's not very "Disney" the way they handle it.
As far as groceries, we are driving and plan on bringing ad much as we can. I haven't heard about ordering groceries from them but I've been making a list on the garden grocer site. I'm not totally opposed to swinging in to the publix or sumer target before we arrive though...thats gonna be a closer to game time decision once we know how much room we have in the car and how many groceries we have room to bring. Without that loooong trek from the parking lot to the room, I'm ok with a car full of stuff this trip!
I had no idea they ran boats to CR. Is it that much quicker to ride to mk and then walk to CR for the monorail to get to the poky vs just catching the mono at mk to poly?? How much time would you say the boats take to mk and to cr?? How much time I guess should I give to get to poly from ft.wilderness?
I always like to not rush and worry about being late for anything. I would allow an hour for travel. The boat trip to CR is about 10 minutes, but that is if it does not stop at WL first.

LAKid53

Premium Member

There's a Publix about 15 minutes away. It's the Lakeside Village Center Publix. Easy to get to. Just drive past the Grand Floridian, turn left at the 4 way stop, drive through the back lots (bus depot, costume shop, monorail shop), turn right at the light at Reams, take the 2nd exit at the traffic circle and you're there. Nice part? No getting on I-4, Buena Vista or any of the other crowded roads around WDW. It's all back roads and you get to see part of the "backstage" of MK. I know the route to that Publix as well as the route to WDW and my Publix at home. Plus there's a Publix liquor store next door.

If there's a boat from Ft. Wilderness to the CR, take that then hop on the resort monorail to Poly. I'd say boats run about every 20-25 minutes and then add another 15-20 for the monorail. Or, if you have an ADR at Poly, just drive - it will take less time - and fewer stops.

Edit: the door leading from the Cabin bedroom to the deck lets you out, but not back in, at least there was no door handle on the outside when we stayed there.

ELG13

Original Poster
There's a Publix about 15 minutes away. It's the Lakeside Village Center Publix. Easy to get to. Just drive past the Grand Floridian, turn left at the 4 way stop, drive through the back lots (bus depot, costume shop, monorail shop), turn right at the light at Reams, take the 2nd exit at the traffic circle and you're there. Nice part? No getting on I-4, Buena Vista or any of the other crowded roads around WDW. It's all back roads and you get to see part of the "backstage" of MK. I know the route to that Publix as well as the route to WDW and my Publix at home. Plus there's a Publix liquor store next door.

If there's a boat from Ft. Wilderness to the CR, take that then hop on the resort monorail to Poly. I'd say boats run about every 20-25 minutes and then add another 15-20 for the monorail. Or, if you have an ADR at Poly, just drive - it will take less time - and fewer stops.

Edit: the door leading from the Cabin bedroom to the deck lets you out, but not back in, at least there was no door handle on the outside when we stayed there.
I just screen shot your directions lol!! Hope they work...I like that way better than havin to go on the interstate.
I doubt we will drive anywhere that's not absolutely necessary when we are there. Plus the monorail and boats are fun for the kids so I'll just plan to give us time to get there. And the door thing is super weirs but I guess it's maybe to save money and not have to put a lock on it for magic bands and cards??
Anyone used a grill there??? We are having our inlaws etc over for a cook out one night so we are trying to plan the meal.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The grills are your typical grills you find in a park. I'd find some of those disposal public grill grates - Wal-Mart, Target or Publix has them - to use since the grates are probably not very clean. Purchase the small bag of instant light charcoal, the one that you light the bag and don't need lighter fluid. And make sure to have heavy duty foil.

MySmallWorldof4

I just screen shot your directions lol!! Hope they work...I like that way better than havin to go on the interstate.
I doubt we will drive anywhere that's not absolutely necessary when we are there. Plus the monorail and boats are fun for the kids so I'll just plan to give us time to get there. And the door thing is super weirs but I guess it's maybe to save money and not have to put a lock on it for magic bands and cards??
Anyone used a grill there??? We are having our inlaws etc over for a cook out one night so we are trying to plan the meal.
What @LAKid53 said about the grill. They are like the ones you see at public parks. Kind of icky. Definitely bring something to cover the grates.

ELG13

Original Poster
Foil...great!! Added to the list. Is it really buggy out there. We live in the panhandle of Florida so bugs and mosquitos are no stranger to us. Wondering if we need bug spray or off lanterns for the deck?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Foil...great!! Added to the list. Is it really buggy out there. We live in the panhandle of Florida so bugs and mosquitos are no stranger to us. Wondering if we need bug spray or off lanterns for the deck?

I'd use the lantern, not sure you want to spray around food.

Where in the Panhandle do you live? I'm in Leon

LAKid53

Premium Member
Pensacola!
And the bug spray is for the humans lol

Nice place, I've visited a couple of times. But an all day drive to WDW - takes about 5 hours for you to reach I-10, right?

In that case, both. I've found the Deep Woods Off towelettes work well, less messy than the spray.

MySmallWorldof4

We were given towelettes upon check in. Weird story. Used them on a golf cart ride to the mercantile. Purchased something from the mercantile which was placed in the typical Disney plastic bag. I held on to it on the drive back. When I piut the bag fown in the cabin I noticed that the ink from the bag had stained my hand a pretty shade of blue. Took a lot of scrubbing to remove the ink. I wondered if the chemicals from the wipes caused this to happen. I didn't use the wipes after this, but just the Off! spray we brought along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom