FT Entertainment Stage Technician

GoofyFan23

Original Poster
So I live locally, and I'm a huge Disney nut! I went to school for A/V Production and I have been working in the industry for a few years. I just had my phone interview this afternoon with Beth and it went really well, (at least from what I could tell...) My expertise is audio, and during my phone interview they had actually asked me some audio questions, which threw me off guard. (Figured I would get asked those in a 2nd interview from an Entertainment Person.) anyways! I have scheduled a 1:1 interview at the casting center wednesday afternoon on the 7th. I'm very excited and extremely nervous!!!!!

Anybody else working in the Tech department have any tips or facts for the interview???

Did you have a phone interview and then a 1:1 interview? or were there more?

What kind of questions should I expect???

THANKS!!!!!

So I live locally, and I'm a huge Disney nut! I went to school for A/V Production and I have been working in the industry for a few years. I just had my phone interview this afternoon with Beth and it went really well, (at least from what I could tell...) My expertise is audio, and during my phone interview they had actually asked me some audio questions, which threw me off guard. (Figured I would get asked those in a 2nd interview from an Entertainment Person.) anyways! I have scheduled a 1:1 interview at the casting center wednesday afternoon on the 7th. I'm very excited and extremely nervous!!!!!

Anybody else working in the Tech department have any tips or facts for the interview???

Did you have a phone interview and then a 1:1 interview? or were there more?

What kind of questions should I expect???

THANKS!!!!!

I work at the studios as an Ent Tech. I did all mine over the phone and it was a while ago. There is a good chance the position your going for is in the same park. We have openings.

GoofyFan23

Original Poster
Thanks BACKSTAGEMATT! I hope it goes well, I've been trying to do a lot of research and I can't find anything on ent. techs :mad: I have a friend whose a LD with PSAV out of the Swan and Dolphin. But he doesn't know much about the ent. techs either. I'm just really crossing my fingers. And I'm nervous about the questions in my interview. I was already asked how to mic a drum set and what mics to use. As well as define phantom power. I answered both. But I'm a little unsure what will be next in the 1:1 :confused:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks BACKSTAGEMATT! I hope it goes well, I've been trying to do a lot of research and I can't find anything on ent. techs :mad: I have a friend whose a LD with PSAV out of the Swan and Dolphin. But he doesn't know much about the ent. techs either. I'm just really crossing my fingers. And I'm nervous about the questions in my interview. I was already asked how to mic a drum set and what mics to use. As well as define phantom power. I answered both. But I'm a little unsure what will be next in the 1:1 :confused:

How to mic a drum set? Really? There are probably as many ways to mic drums as there are drummers!

Just curious...Did you answer in generalities or with specific model numbers?

GoofyFan23

Original Poster
lol! Yeah, I said I'd put my sennhiser e604s on toms, beta52 A on kick, sm57 on hat/snare etc.etc.

I hope that's what they were looking for lol

GoofyFan23

Original Poster
Whoops! I meant Beta 52A for the kick.... (CRAP!!!! I hope I didn't say that during my interview) :( I was a little nervous..... Oh well... I guess mistakes happen!

lol! Yeah, I said I'd put my sennhiser e604s on toms, beta58 on kick, sm57 on hat/snare etc.etc.

I hope that's what they were looking for lol

coilback

So how did it go? I used to be a Ent Tech at MK in 2008. Worked all around, but mainly on DAWM and Wishes. My expertise was pyro before going in, but since techs do all of it (lighting, pyro, audio, props, etc), they asked me a bit of everything (I already had a bit of experience in the other stuff too).

mitchell

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a phone interview for an Entertainment Tech on Tuesday afternoon, and I would appreciate any advice or tips from anyone on the forum...

My background is freelancing with a Sound/Lighting company, I've worked as a sound tech and lighting tech for some bars/nightclubs in Indiana, I've DJ'd for weddings and nightclubs, and I've volunteered and worked for a mega church with lighting, including Martin 250's and 550's, sound boards up to 56 channels, and stage set up, microphones, mobile set ups, and installed setups. I also worked as a TV photographer for 4+ years in videography, editing, and microwave/satellite connections.

If anyone has any tips on what to read up on and prepare for the phone interview I would greatly appreciate it...I am an internal candidate currently working in QSR to get my foot in the door as well. Thank you!

coilback

Okay, well, obviously most of my info will be from when I interviewed in 2008, but I can give you a little insight.

My background was pyrotechnics, so it was a bit different (since professional pyrotechnicians that have been doing everything I've done is a bit more rare), but all techs are responsible for the same things initially.

The main things they'll want to know is if you have a basic understanding of lighting, sound, electrical and maybe some pyrotechnics. If you want to message me privately, I can give you a little insight on the pyro part.

Questions I can remember being asked were:
"What is Phantom Power?"
"What is a Gobo and what is it used for?"
"What is a PAR can?"
"On a standard 120V electrical cable, what are the three colors used and what does each color signify (and there is a difference between British and US versions in color, which I knew and told them)?"
"What does 1.3G mean and how does it compare to 1.1G?"

There were a few more, but that gives you a basic understanding of what they are asking. They'll also want to know about your experience, especially in professional stage rigging/setting. Sounds like you've done some lower level stuff (as compared to large concerts/productions), but you might have enough background to get your foot in the door.

Raw25

I know this thread is out dated but I just made it the second round of interviews for an Ent Tech. What can be expected from the next round of interviews?

coilback

Well, not sure if it still works like mine did, but my second interview was much more detailed in the questions regarding the job (like my sample questions above). It felt more "test like" and less like an interview. They wanted to see what I actually knew about the different aspects of the job.

Raw25

That is what I figured would happen. I actually had a couple of those questions above on my first interview. It is supposed to be a group interview for what I understand. Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom