Frozen

morningstar

Someone earlier said that the villain was weak. I thought Hans was a great departure from Disney villains of the past. Including Mother Gothel from Tangled, Disney has done a great job so far at creating villains who are real people who exhibit traits of both good and bad, yet it is their choices that ultimately make them evil.

Elsa is the real villain of Frozen. Think about it from any other perspective besides omniscient and Anna's. Think about Hans' perspective or the Duke of Weselton's or Kristoff's. Without knowing Elsa as a happy child before the accident where she froze Anna, she isn't very likeable. And she certainly is the cause of much of the mayhem. She is an even more revolutionary villain, because she goes from good to bad to good. Instead of defeating her magic by slaying her, it is defeated by love.

Matt_Black

Elsa is the real villain of Frozen. Think about it from any other perspective besides omniscient and Anna's. Think about Hans' perspective or the Duke of Weselton's or Kristoff's. Without knowing Elsa as a happy child before the accident where she froze Anna, she isn't very likeable. And she certainly is the cause of much of the mayhem. She is an even more revolutionary villain, because she goes from good to bad to good. Instead of defeating her magic by slaying her, it is defeated by love.

So, because she's reclusive and not likeable, that somehow justifies the scheming of the Duke and Hans?

morningstar

So, because she's reclusive and not likeable, that somehow justifies the scheming of the Duke and Hans?

No, they are villains too, but Elsa is the more significant one. And the point that Anna shows is that violence is not the only way of dealing with "villains". It's not altogether a new idea in Disney movies. The pattern is similar in Beauty and the Beast. The Beast starts out as a clear villain. Gaston in some ways is like Hans. He is well regarded by most of the characters, though in contrast to Hans the heroine never falls for him. He is a villain, but kind of a secondary character. The Beast's arc from bad to good is the central story, and the importance of the secondary villain is mainly to provide a dramatic confrontation for the finale.

lazyboy97o

I would argue the Duke is more misinformed and scared than villain. Trade with Arendelle is important to Weselton's economy. Under strong monarchies those personal relationships are a big part of how states interact and such cooperation would likely expand beyond economics to other areas such as military interests. Even when it comes to Elsa's powers, the Duke's only experience is seeing Elsa create spikes that look like they would be pretty good at impaling a person.

BigTxEars

I think Frozen is a film you have to see several times to appreciate the depth of the characters and themes that it portrays. On subsequent viewings (I saw it about 6 or 7 times in theaters), I found myself noticing that there's a lot of subtlety in the film that if missed, it's easy to dismiss it as shallow. Someone earlier said that the villain was weak. I thought Hans was a great departure from Disney villains of the past. Including Mother Gothel from Tangled, Disney has done a great job so far at creating villains who are real people who exhibit traits of both good and bad, yet it is their choices that ultimately make them evil. And what makes them in a way more dastardly than past villains is that they are people that the heroes have come to trust and have affection towards. People who see Frozen have in some form experienced a Hans in their life. Someone who they had come to trust and respect, but turned out to be someone else. It's evil, but it's also heartbreaking. Anyway, I can go on and on about the film, but I just wanted to show my perspective. Not every person who loves these films is some mindless drone that follows the hype.

Great post :)

AndyLL

Congratulations to Frozen for passing Iron Man 3 to become the biggest world wide grosser for 2013.

It is now #5 on the world wide list. Next up is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P2. That one will be tough to catch.

BigTxEars

Congratulations to Frozen for passing Iron Man 3 to become the biggest world wide grosser for 2013.

It is now #5 on the world wide list. Next up is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P2. That one will be tough to catch.

It deserves to pass IM 3 IMO. Not sure if that is true of HP or not.

AndyLL

It deserves to pass IM 3 IMO. Not sure if that is true of HP or not.

To pass HPDM2 it will have to do over 300 Million in Japan. It has a long way to get there but movies run forever in Japan.

It should pass Spirited Away as the highest grossing film in Japan which is amazing... WDAS films have not traditionally done well there.

Sped2424

Original Poster
A good point, but Hans does not seem to be motivated by fear.
We'll Hans seems to be the mirror from the original tale transcribed into a person. Whoever he is with he tends to reflect, with Anna he is playful and gentle, with the duke he is a bit rough and a jerk. I believe Jennifer lee stated that in an interview. She said she wrote the character with that in mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom