Frozen

rob0519

I've critiqued the movie more than once with specifics about why I think it is overblown.

Is it a fun movie? Sure. Is it the groundbreaking amazing film people seem to be making it out to be? No.

Outside of a few catchy songs, it's rather forgettable.
Forgettable to you, yes. To me, maybe. Tens of millions of others obviously disagree with you.

morningstar

I've critiqued the movie more than once with specifics about why I think it is overblown.

Is it a fun movie? Sure. Is it the groundbreaking amazing film people seem to be making it out to be? No.

Outside of a few catchy songs, it's rather forgettable.

Outside of a few catchy songs and Michael Bay level effects, you mean, right? "Yeah, it's got great visual effects, but it's a one-trick pony." "Sure, it's got catchy songs, but nothing more." Oh, and also the character and story depth that others have mentioned and you haven't accepted but haven't disputed either.

EricJ

Yep, just like Avatar. A movie so popular, that you can perceive yourself as part of a rarified elite club if you despise it. In truth, though, being in a minority doesn't automatically make you better or right.

Then, maybe we should have said "Like Titanic" or The Dark Knight--The bigger they rave, the harder they fall.
Tangled is still popular, and Wreck-It Ralph is just now being appreciated, but time will NOT be kind to this movie.

BigTxEars

To Frozen? I disagree it a well made movie. It's hyped no doubt but it is no way a poorly made movie that will somehow "be dismissed overtime as it's flaws are discovered" if that is what you are stating.

How much more does it have to do to show you it has staying power? Look how it is doing in Japan, a country that a much better grasp on animation as a media than almost anywhere in the world. It has crossed national and cultural boundaries worldwide like they are not even there.

And Olaf is a classic Disney character :)

EricJ

Look how it is doing in Japan, a country that a much better grasp on animation as a media than almost anywhere in the world.

(Says the guy with the Marie avatar, a character Disney had to promote because they didn't know why Japan fans were so gushing over the cute-kitty character and US Disney fans had completely forgotten who she was.)

How much more does it have to do to show you it has staying power?

Stay. For two to three years of rentals and continuing fandom. Like Tangled did. ;)

BigTxEars

(Says the guy with the Marie avatar, a character Disney had to promote because they didn't know why Japan fans were so gushing over the cute-kitty character and US Disney fans had completely forgotten who she was.)

Stay. For two to three years of rentals and continuing fandom. Like Tangled did. ;)

And the Japanese public which is wee bit arrogant of their animation vs western animation seems to love Frozen. But I get it, it's tough for you trying to deflat the power of the most successful animated movie in history. You gotta take shots where you can huh? :)

morningstar

Then, maybe we should have said "Like Titanic" or The Dark Knight--The bigger they rave, the harder they fall.
Tangled is still popular, and Wreck-It Ralph is just now being appreciated, but time will NOT be kind to this movie.

By being appreciated, do you mean a lot of people are saying Frozen isn't so great, Wreck It Ralph is better? That doesn't mean it's appreciated more, just that it's more relevant to people who want to put Frozen down. Not surprising they would pick Wreck It Ralph as their comparison. It's just the most recent Disney animated feature that isn't a princess movie. I think at least some of the demographic that are saying Frozen is overhyped just don't like princess movies.

I was quite impressed with Wreck It Ralph. I was happy to see that Disney came out with a good animated movie after a long while. I did not think it was a great movie. It did a faithful job of homage to video game genres. I did not consider it the start of a new Disney Renaissance, as I do Tangled and Frozen. It had decent 3D graphics, but it wasn't really art. I do not remember any songs except the theme song, which was funny and clever, but not spectacular.

I'm not sure what you're saying about Titanic and the Dark Knight and Avatar "falling hard". What's the evidence that initial fans of these have changed their minds? Lack of ongoing revenue doesn't count. That happens to pretty much all movies. Just the other day someone suggested Titanic for the Great Movie Ride. We'll see if Avatar's popularity has declined when the sequels come out, I guess.

I'm not saying Frozen is as iconic as Star Wars or The Godfather, etc. I just think it is on par with Cinderella and The Lion King, and will hold up as well as them.

Californian Elitist

I'm one of few who just doesn't like Frozen. At first I thought it was okay/somewhat good, but now...

The movie was hyped up WAY too much for me. I was looking for something spectacular, and all I said to myself after the movie ended was "Really"? Only one song really stood out to me, and it was the shortest song in the entire album. -__________- The villains were weak and I found both Anna and Olaf annoying, more so Olaf. I wish the film had gone into more detail regarding Elsa's powers and the trolls, who kinda seemed to just pop out of nowhere. I just wasn't impressed, and I'm still not.

EricJ

I'm not sure what you're saying about Titanic and the Dark Knight and Avatar "falling hard". What's the evidence that initial fans of these have changed their minds?
We'll see if Avatar's popularity has declined when the sequels come out, I guess.

Tune into any of the Avatar Land threads, and you can see now.

216bruce

Honestly, I like the opening lines of "A Guy Like You"- The city of lovers is glowing this evening. True, that's because it's on fire, but STILL, there's l'amour....

And the Bells of Notre Dame is excellent, as the three male singers (Jay, David Ogden Stiers, and especially Paul Kandel with those crazy high notes) just nail it.
That's why I like the song so much- outlandish lyrics. It's like a song from a Marx Brothers movie. 'Bells of Notre Dame" is great too. They all are in that movie.

Matt_Black

That's why I like the song so much- outlandish lyrics. It's like a song from a Marx Brothers movie. 'Bells of Notre Dame" is great too. They all are in that movie.

The only bad thing about the movie is that it causes confusion. One of my favorite things of all time is the incomparable Disney animated series Gargoyles. When I ask about it at WDW, on the off chance maybe there's some merchandise, a sketch or something, I either get a blank stare or "... Do you mean from Hunchback?" NO I DON'T MEAN FROM HUNCHBACK.

216bruce

Frozen sucks. It's a shallow story with mediocre music, massive indulgent plot conveniences, and poorly developed characters.
And, quite honestly, pretty comparable to "Little Mermaid" in a lot of ways. No deep characters in that or unpredictable story either. The music is very, very solid though. I really believe that every once in a while a Disney 'toon just resonates with folks- perfect storm of luck, timing, and the repeating of the tried and true Disney princess formula.
When 'Mermaid' came out I didn't see what the big deal was except for the music. My daughter was very young then and became obsessed with it though as did a lot of girls and, subsequently, their families. It was just 'one of those things' for folks at that time and it started a whole new era of Disney quality/popularity in features. There were quite a few animated Disney films that followed that were much better animated, had better music, deeper characters, darker-more adult plots or were much funnier that followed 'Mermaid'; but few characters as popular as Ariel or music as memorable 25 years later. I think "Frozen" is just this generations "Little Mermaid" as my daughter is now introducing my granddaughter to Disney features through "Frozen". Elsa/Anna= Ariel and Olaf and Sven= Sebastian and Flounder. Formula? Yes. But sure a successful one.

216bruce

The only bad thing about the movie is that it causes confusion. One of my favorite things of all time is the incomparable Disney animated series Gargoyles. When I ask about it at WDW, on the off chance maybe there's some merchandise, a sketch or something, I either get a blank stare or "... Do you mean from Hunchback?" NO I DON'T MEAN FROM HUNCHBACK.
Yeah, I hear ya. I loved "House of Mouse" and few folks at the parks know what I'm talking about. Sad.

SpectroMan93

I think Frozen is a film you have to see several times to appreciate the depth of the characters and themes that it portrays. On subsequent viewings (I saw it about 6 or 7 times in theaters), I found myself noticing that there's a lot of subtlety in the film that if missed, it's easy to dismiss it as shallow. Someone earlier said that the villain was weak. I thought Hans was a great departure from Disney villains of the past. Including Mother Gothel from Tangled, Disney has done a great job so far at creating villains who are real people who exhibit traits of both good and bad, yet it is their choices that ultimately make them evil. And what makes them in a way more dastardly than past villains is that they are people that the heroes have come to trust and have affection towards. People who see Frozen have in some form experienced a Hans in their life. Someone who they had come to trust and respect, but turned out to be someone else. It's evil, but it's also heartbreaking. Anyway, I can go on and on about the film, but I just wanted to show my perspective. Not every person who loves these films is some mindless drone that follows the hype.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Not every person who loves these films is some mindless drone that follows the hype.
I feel this is important^ Frozen to me was just a great film, and if for anyone else it wasn't that's okay for them, but there is no need to act like we are somehow missing something or overblowing it out of proportion. Just because you don't care for something doesn't mean it's bad or the people that are in to it just aren't getting it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I feel this is important^ Frozen to me was just a great film, and if for anyone else it wasn't that's okay for them, but there is no need to act like we are somehow missing something or overblowing it out of proportion. Just because you don't care for something doesn't mean it's bad or the people that are in to it just aren't getting it.
You aren't missing anything. The film, however, is missing a lot. Like...good characters instead of cliches. (Grin)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom