Frozen

BigTxEars

I bet the makers of any of the follow up Disney films know what big shoes they have to fill :)

But all this talk of films did get me off my duff, I ordered Tangled and Emperors New Grove on Blu Ray tonight to update them from DVD :)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Anyone else think that a huge microscope has now been placed on big hero 6 due to all the success from Frozen? I think some great came out of this film, now people are expecting something bigger and something better and hopefully Disney will deliver on it.
Big Hero 6 is a completely different type of movie. It's a comic book action adventure. However Pixar has done well with each movie being so different.

Matt_Black

Big Hero 6 is a completely different type of movie. It's a comic book action adventure. However Pixar has done well with each movie being so different.

Certainly Disney as well. 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp are as highly regarded as the Sleeping Beauty or Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Not the point I am making. I am well aware of what big hero 6 is (being a fan of the comic!). What I am saying is people now have an expectation that the film should be on some sort of level that is close to Frozen. There is a lot of pressure when you become the followup act to the highest grossing animated film of all time. Especially if they are going to slap "from the makers of Frozen and Wreck it Ralph" on there people are going to think the film is up to some standard of quality or on the same level. And if it falls short in any way I can't help but think people would be disappointed and say "This is what they put out after that film?".

Matt_Black

Not the point I am making. I am well aware of what big hero 6 is (being a fan of the comic!). What I am saying is people now have an expectation that the film should be on some sort of level that is close to Frozen. There is a lot of pressure when you become the followup act to the highest grossing animated film of all time. Especially if they are going to slap "from the makers of Frozen and Wreck it Ralph" on there people are going to think the film is up to some standard of quality or on the same level. And if it falls short in any way I can't help but think people would be disappointed and say "This is what they put out after that film?".

And that's a fair point. I wonder if Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame would be held in higher esteem if they didn't have to follow The Lion King.

Sped2424

Original Poster
And that's a fair point. I wonder if Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame would be held in higher esteem if they didn't have to follow The Lion King.
See what I mean! If I remember Pocahontas was thought by Disney to be for sure Oscar bait and a huge hit, and it just ended up doing okay.

lazyboy97o

Anyone else think that a huge microscope has now been placed on big hero 6 due to all the success from Frozen? I think some great came out of this film, now people are expecting something bigger and something better and hopefully Disney will deliver on it.
I would be more concerned about non-creatives wishing to attach themselves and unrealistic performance expectations. I do not think one film will repair the good will Disney lost.

Matt_Black

See what I mean! If I remember Pocahontas was thought by Disney to be for sure Oscar bait and a huge hit, and it just ended up doing okay.

It did have a record breaking opening weekend, if I recall correctly, and made a good amount of money overall- not Lion King or Aladdin numbers, but a decent take. Plus, Colors of the Wind is still regarded as one of the best Disney songs.

disney4life2008

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW .....

Absolutely amazing movie thus far. I love all the songs and the costuming and movement are exquisite. I still prefer Beauty and the Beast in overall quality and re-watch value but I get the Frozen support from everyone. I would loooooooove to see a frozen attraction now. How about close the Little Mermaid and make that into a indoor frozen attraction :)

disney4life2008

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW .....

Absolutely amazing movie thus far. I love all the songs and the costuming and movement are exquisite. I still prefer Beauty and the Beast in overall quality and re-watch value but I get the Frozen support from everyone. I would loooooooove to see a frozen attraction now. How about close the Little Mermaid and make that into a indoor frozen attraction :)

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW - truly outstanding movie for this time period.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I would be more concerned about non-creatives wishing to attach themselves and unrealistic performance expectations. I do not think one film will repair the good will Disney lost.
Yeah but it also could re inspire quality? Of course that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Magenta Panther

The thing is, it's not just the one film. Disney has been on an upswing animation wise, with Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph being two other notable examples of recent films earning good will.

A sequel to Wreck-It-Ralph is supposedly in the works. That's great news. But for some reason, I kind of hope King Candy returns in some way. Fans of that character have theorized that he actually did exist prior to being taken over by Turbo. If so, then he's Vanellope's father. Perhaps she and Ralph could go on a search for him or something. Anyway, loved Ralph, and I'd love to see more from that universe.

Sped2424

Original Poster
A sequel to Wreck-It-Ralph is supposedly in the works. That's great news. But for some reason, I kind of hope King Candy returns in some way. Fans of that character have theorized that he actually did exist prior to being taken over by Turbo. If so, then he's Vanellope's father. Perhaps she and Ralph could go on a search for him or something. Anyway, loved Ralph, and I'd love to see more from that universe.
Turbo is such a fun villain, it would be sad if that was really the end of him in the first film!

BigTxEars

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW - truly outstanding movie for this time period.

So you like it ? :D

I scored a sweet iPhone case with Olaf on it today from my wife and daughter who just returned fro DL on a school trip. I am a 45 year dude rocking a Olaf phone case :cool:

Wife said almost no Frozen stuff at DL, store CMs said they can not keep it in stock. I bet old Scrooge McDuck is swimming in deep money in the vault today from Frozen :)

Watched Little Mermaid tonight, wow how far has animation come? A LONGGGGGGG WAYYYYYYY! I love the classic hand drawn look but wow does the new stuff look even more amazing now...

Anyway welcome to the Frozen fever :) You will hum "Snowman" at some point tomorrow.....

erasure fan1

I didn't get to see it in the theater but just saw it the other day on Blu-Ray. I guess I am in the minority with the opinion of it was average. I thought it was alright but when it ended I had no real desire to watch it again. Its not that any part was bad, but nothing really resonated with me. Of the last bunch of Disney animated features go, my top 3 would be, #1 Princess and the frog, then Wreck it Ralph, then tangled. Again, not bad, I just didn't have that connection with it.

BigTxEars

I didn't get to see it in the theater but just saw it the other day on Blu-Ray. I guess I am in the minority with the opinion of it was average. I thought it was alright but when it ended I had no real desire to watch it again. Its not that any part was bad, but nothing really resonated with me. Of the last bunch of Disney animated features go, my top 3 would be, #1 Princess and the frog, then Wreck it Ralph, then tangled. Again, not bad, I just didn't have that connection with it.

Oddly the first time I saw it in the theater I felt the same, saw it again in the theater with my daughter and it grew on me. Saw it a third time (sing along version) in the theater and kinda fell for it hard. :)

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Oddly the first time I saw it in the theater I felt the same, saw it again in the theater with my daughter and it grew on me. Saw it a third time (sing along version) in the theater and kinda fell for it hard. :)
That has happened to me on many occasion. I have not watched it again so maybe it is a grower.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom