Frozen

Animaniac93-98

Wreck-It Ralph, in my eyes, is far and away the best film by Disney Animation since they began their CG work. Such a unique, intriguing plot.

I loved the first 1/3 of the movie, then things go sour once they get to Sugar Rush. Not enough to ruin it for me, but enough to make me feel a little disapointed. I'd rank it below Frozen and Tangled.

I have a similar problem with Princess and the Frog.

The Empress Lilly

-

Well brace yourselves for a shocker, but i actually saw 'Frozen' a few days ago.

Yep. I did.

A friend invited me over for a small party, and in the evening he whipped out a movie for us to view.
It turned out to be 'Frozen'..his new favorite film.
So there is sat....seeing a film i have had little interest in since it's pre-release ( expressed here previously...many many pages ago...).

So what did i think of it...once actually seeing it....?

First, i will cover the positives.

I liked the background/layout work.
Some nice settings and clever design elements.
They did their homework in regards to the Norwegian culture and patterns.

I liked the color palette used for those backgrounds/layouts.
Some beautiful shades were paired together and it make for a visually appealing image.

I liked the songs for the most part.
Very showy...very 'Broadway-like'.
The 'Let It Go' vocal performance was the standout however. The performance by Idina Menzel was stunning.
Yeah, the imagery used during this sequence is pretty...but for me it was the vocal performance that really shined.
I could easily separate the two elements which made me think the voice of Elsa and the singer were two different people.

Olaf's musical number however left me cold...no pun intended. It felt tacked on..and not really needed.
I said after it played that cutting it out of the film would have been just fine and kept things moving.
Others will likely feel different, of course.

So from a artistic perspective, i enjoyed the backgrounds, color palette, and the music/score for the most part.

What i did not overly care much for were the characters and story.
Olaf was also not appealing to me. It just seemed he was there as the typical cute, comic relief character to appeal to the kiddies in the audience.
Oh..and to sell toys/plush of.
If he was absent from the film, it would have played just as well.

I can see why people have taken this film to a high level, and why many feel a personal emotional connection to it.
I understood this even before seeing the film, and noted that earlier in this thread in one of my previous posts.
People embrace the film and the character of Elsa because she is a metaphor for those who feel that they cannot be themselves, either in society in general, or with their family/friends.
I totally get that...and i think everyone can relate to this on some level.
Teens and young adults especially ( which probably explains why they love this movie so ).
That is a nice thing..and i am glad this film spoke to them on that level.
For me, it did'nt.
It was a pretty movie to look at...but not a lot of substance. Much like my experience seeing 'Tangled'.
Both are films i could enjoy looking at from a artistic standpoint, but were somewhat 'empty' to me.
Like a brightly wrapped empty box.
Pretty to admire and look at ....but once open, nothing there.

The story, and the characters, did not 'grab me'.
The film did not make me go 'WOWee!" and make me anxiously await the next possible viewing.
Personal opinion...but it was pretty to look at. The colors are great.
I would like to know more about those responsible for the layout/backgrounds as they did a great job.

I enjoyed the opportunity to see the film though, but i am in no hurry to see it again.

I also did see 'Get A Horse', although not in it's original 3-D presentation.
Thought that was quite fun..with some clever 'PhilharMagic' like effects.
Must have been great to see in the theater with an audience.
Quite cool to see a 'retro recreation' of a classic Mickey short.
The work put into trying to match that old style of animation from the early period was nicely done.
Hearing a young Walt voicing Mickey was also a geek-out moment...i will confess.
So 'Get A Horse' was a fun romp....even in it's mono-chromatic glory.

So there ya go.
I took it in....digested...and ...well...yeah...

...moved on..!
Amazing! Those are nearly exactly my opinions, almost verbatim.

I can sum my feelings up by quoting you:
"So from an artistic perspective, I enjoyed the backgrounds, color palette, and the music/score for the most part.

Olaf was also not appealing to me."

Matt_Black

Said it before, but I think the Academy just got confused.

"Let's give the Oscar to Disney this year."
"Which one was the Disney one?"
"Brave, I think. That's the one that had magic and the princess and people getting turned into bears, and Disney always does that stuff."
"Well, done Academy! Now, bring on the cigars!"

Cesar R M

Said it before, but I think the Academy just got confused.

"Let's give the Oscar to Disney this year."
"Which one was the Disney one?"
"Brave, I think. That's the one that had magic and the princess and people getting turned into bears, and Disney always does that stuff."
"Well, done Academy! Now, bring on the cigars!"
I think I mentioned it before, but there was some leaked documents that did show how the guys on the academy didnt take animation as an art.. or found it "boring".
a lot of people didn't voted due of this. others just voted for frozen because of "disney" and didn't gave a damn about the other movies..
very sad imho.

Matt_Black

I think I mentioned it before, but there was some leaked documents that did show how the guys on the academy didnt take animation as an art.. or found it "boring".
a lot of people didn't voted due of this. others just voted for frozen because of "disney" and didn't gave a damn about the other movies..
very sad imho.

Well, genre snubbery is a very real thing. The number of sci-fi/ fantasy or comedy films that have been nominated for Best Picture, let alone won, is small. Usually, they get the technical stuff- set design, effects, etc.

doctornick

I'm still miffed that it got beat out by Brave at the academy.

Agreed. WIR was far superior to Brave. Frankenweenie would have also been an acceptable winner (though I thought Wreck It Ralph was better).

Well, genre snubbery is a very real thing. The number of sci-fi/ fantasy or comedy films that have been nominated for Best Picture, let alone won, is small. Usually, they get the technical stuff- set design, effects, etc.

That's one of the reasons I do like the Golden Globe setup better, as it at least divides movies up a bit by genre.

BigTxEars

Amazing! Those are nearly exactly my opinions, almost verbatim.

I can sum my feelings up by quoting you:
"So from an artistic perspective, I enjoyed the backgrounds, color palette, and the music/score for the most part.

Olaf was also not appealing to me."

AGhhhhhhhhH! Olaf was awesome!!!!!!!!! His entry scene was epic, just epic IMO.

"And you arrreeeeee......" :)

Matt_Black

I was concerned that Olaf was going to be annoying, but he was written really well, and Josh Gad just delivered the perfect combination of naiveté and humor that the character needed.

BigTxEars

I was concerned that Olaf was going to be annoying, but he was written really well, and Josh Gad just delivered the perfect combination of naiveté and humor that the character needed.

I agree from just picture it would appear to be something designed to be just a cute little minion to me, but I thought he added just the right amount of zing to the onscreen relationships. And that bit with his nose was too cool.....

Sped2424

Original Poster
I actually thought olaf was the best use of a sidekick from a Disney film that made sense to the theme of the film. He was symbolic of those girls innocence and love for each other, specifically Elsa's love for Anna. He is the memory and feeling of all that personified into a living snowman. He act's as a bridge between them and eventually brings them back together, had he not shown Anna and Kristoff the way they never would have found elsa, had he not helped Anna when she was freezing and locked that's how she would have gone. I can see how his personality might rub some the wrong way, but when it comes to serving the film he is just a fantastic character.

Matt_Black

Yeah. Similarly, Sven is kind of the same in that he's Kristoff's "imaginary friend" in the way that Olaf is Anna & Elsa's. Watching the movie, make note of when Sven "talks" to Kristoff and more importantly when he doesn't.

You'll also notice that in the big climax, both Sven and Olaf are taken out of the picture, so that it comes down to the human characters and their decisions. Sven and Olaf just get everybody where they need to be.

Animaniac93-98

"The movie continues to do phenomenal business in Japan, where it's banked $75.1 million total and held first place for four-straight weekends. Assuming it continues to hold well there, Frozen should eventually move up to sixth on the all-time chart ahead of Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.124 billion)."

- Box Office Mojo

Sped2424

Original Poster
"The movie continues to do phenomenal business in Japan, where it's banked $75.1 million total and held first place for four-straight weekends. Assuming it continues to hold well there, Frozen should eventually move up to sixth on the all-time chart ahead of Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.124 billion)."

- Box Office Mojo
Goodness I am amazed at the business this film is doing, to me it just says people are dying for the return of the good ol fashioned full fledged Disney musical.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Anyone else think that a huge microscope has now been placed on big hero 6 due to all the success from Frozen? I think some great came out of this film, now people are expecting something bigger and something better and hopefully Disney will deliver on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom