Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

They should follow the precedent they set theirselves. Not do it on the cheap yet again.
Indeed. A Frozen darkride for Fantasyland or the Studios would likely receive widespread praise around these parts (except for those who don't like Frozen, but most of them are rational enough to understand Disney should capitalize on the property regardless).

Given the success of Frozen Summer, it would not be that difficult to imagine placing a Frozen dark ride where Frozen Oaken's is right now. Clearly the Monsters, Inc. coaster isn't coming and this would be something they could have open within 2 years. For relatively little money since they largely have a warehouse back there waiting to be filled with show scenes. Or they could just do nothing.

WDWResort

I could see them waiting to announce it during the season premiere of Once Upon a Time, both to boost numbers and because they've had a history of using that show for parks promotion.

I didn't know this. Do they promote the parks during the show itself, like it's written into an episode, or are they promoted during commercials?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wow that was a huge relief. I'm looking forward to the animated short. But now...I'm just confused. Because if the Frozen ride was happening they absolutely would have announced it tonight. I'm sure that it could be announced at a later date, but why wouldn't Disney capitalize on a fantastic way to do it like tonight? This just adds to my frustration. Maybe there is actually hope for Maelstrom?

Just because it wasn't announced during this show doesn't mean it's not happening. The parks division tends to make announcements on their own schedule. There are a number of other Frozen things going on in the parks and none of these was mentioned either.

But with the ride closing this month they just can't not say anything about why they are closing the ride and let it sit there until next summer. Especially since the whole pavilion is rumored to be closing down

They will probably say something like this...

"We regularly evaluate our offerings and made the decision to close Maelstrom. At this time, we are finalizing a new concept for the next experience at that venue and look forward to sharing more soon."

Captain Chaos

Just because it wasn't announced during this show doesn't mean it's not happening. The parks division tends to make announcements on their own schedule. There are a number of other Frozen things going on in the parks and none of these was mentioned either.

They will probably say something like this...

"We regularly evaluate our offerings and made the decision to close Maelstrom. At this time, we are finalizing a new concept for the next experience at that venue and look forward to sharing more soon."

Continued:

"In the meantime, we will have yet another shuttered building, reducing capacity even more in Epcot. All the while, watching profits and the bottom line grow because of reduced spending. But, put that out of your mind. Remember, your WDW vacation is magical. You get magic bands. You get to book your ride times 60 days out. You get to decide what meals you want to eat, where, and when 6 months in advance! And you can no longer dine at BoG without it ruining your pre-planned plans which we force you to now do in order to vacation the way WE want you to, not how YOU want to. WDW: all about improving the guest exerpience! "

Hula Popper

On a similar note, it seemed to me, when they were talking about the inspiration for the movie, they took great pains to make the Norway connection. Kinda like a see, we told you so moment that they can point out when they go forward.

They've been trumpeting the Norway connection since before the movie was released:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/adventures-by-disney-journeys-to-norway-in-2014/

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...sney-launches-new-frozen-itinerary-to-norway/

And Norwegian tourism boards have been using the movie to promote tourism since they got a sneak peak in May 2013:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/behind-norways-frozen-windfall-from-disney/

http://www.nordnorge.com/en/frozen/?News=405

http://en.trondelag.com/disneys-frozen-inspired-by-trondelag-central-norway/

http://www.norway.org/News_and_events/Embassy/Norway-inspires-Disneys-latest/#.VAcorMVdXvc

The Norway connection is nothing new. This video is also from before the movie was released:

dadddio

I still don't get it i'm bit confused! Last night no announcement about frozen ride!:confused:
I think that people are recognizing the connection between the closing of Maelstrom and the opening of a Frozen ride and expecting the Frozen announcement to be made prior to the closing of Maelstrom. I believe that this is a mistake.

If it were the intention of TPTB to merely add some frozen bits to Maelstrom, then I believe that they would have simply scheduled it for refurb. Instead, they appear to be permanently closing Maelstrom and replacing it with what will be at least marketed as a new Frozen ride. If this is true, then the Maelstrom closing need not be connected to the Frozen announcement (although that would be a good idea as it would possibly lessen the sting of the closing).

Haymarket2008

I don't recall myself saying it wouldn't happen...as I stated in my post I am just very confused why Disney wouldn't have announced last night. They have been pretty consistent with jumping the gun regarding Frozen. This is out of character for them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't recall myself saying it wouldn't happen...as I stated in my post I am just very confused why Disney wouldn't have announced last night. They have been pretty consistent with jumping the gun regarding Frozen. This is out of character for them.

August 2013, D23 Expo in the US, no new announcements about Avatar land which is coming to a US park.
October 2013, D23 Expo in Japan, new announcements are made about Avatar land which isn't coming to park in Japan.

WildcatDen

The Norway connection was made before the film came out, there's nothing really to prove...
Except 99% of the Einsteins here point out that Arendelle has absolutely nothing to do with Norway. It is fictional and should not be in the Norway pavilion??? Some people cannot separate the two ideas. To the majority of park goers, Frozen is set in Norway and Norway is in EPCOT, so, it makes absolute sense to put Frozen in the EPCOT pavillion.

Seems to me that Disney, when they have nothing to Prove, bends over backward to prove it and when they have something to prove, they drag their feet and do practically nothing?

lebeau

I was honestly shocked to find out anyone was expecting an announcement of an Epcot overlay on a primetime ABC special. When has something like that ever happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom