Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muteki

Agree. It also makes sense why they switched Maelstrom with LwtL in Tier 1 several months back. They knew that Maelstrom was going to be closed. For my October trip, Maelstrom is no longer an option. Now, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel in Tier 2. Captain Eo? Character Spot? Turtle Talk? Imagination? They're all walk-ons.
I was really struggling with the Character Spot or Turtle Talk decision myself :rolleyes:

roj2323

They will probably just announce:

1) a sequel
2) the Broadway play
3) more cash grabs, I mean merchandising opportunities

That and more i'm sure. One things for sure DHS is going to be a big part of whatever they do. With the 20% attendance hike at DHS (mentioned elsewhere on this site) TDO simply can not ignore the opportunity.

misterID

Again they could put an excellent ride in there, but the issue is there are plenty of other places to put it without destroying more of what the world showcase stood for. Also consider that unless they VASTLY redo the interior what they have to work with is a space that isn't very large or all that groundbreaking for an attraction. Many are sensing the mediocrity coming before it hits. I am sure if they actually put something mind blowing in there people would be a little happy, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Or I could be wrong which would be nice, but not as nice as having frozen not go in there in the first place.
This is the first I'm hearing about this and my first thought: This is typical corporate laziness, disguised as giving the park something new, without actually building anything, while at the same time making a move to increase revenue (or as we say in the real world, a cash-grab opportunity) while giving WDI a tiny chance to make something nice.

It's a very short ride that's been teased for years about getting a refurb and more trolls. I don't know. The whole idea of having a sophisticated theme of WS has slowly been eroding and I just don't have the energy or desire to be upset when there's zero I can do about it. At this point, I'm hoping for something cool. Maybe I'll be surprised like I was with TRON Test Track... I actually love that ride! That little refurb totally changed the ride for me.

And tbh, Maelstrom just isn't a ride I want to fight over. You blink and you're sitting in the theater watching a 30 year old Viking film. I'll fight for Imagination, this ride... If there were more to it it could have been one of WDI greatest accomplishments, and for what it is, it's a very nice ride. But the scale is just too limited for what it could have been.

Haymarket2008

Just getting back from a week long trip in Disney. Very sad riding Maelstrom for the "last time". We asked a cast member about the fate of the attraction while they were ringing us up in the store and it was met with silence and an uncomfortable darting of eyes. This could have simply been social awkwardness but that didn't bode well.
The second time it came up in conversation with a lovely CM she said that she honestly didn't know. She even said that her managers didn't even know and the last she heard was it was going down for a refurb. Which could mean any number of things. And the third and last thing I heard from a good friend of mine with very good sources was that there was talk of expanding the show scenes and reversing the track for Maelstrom when it turns into Frozen. So...up, up, go back up the falls!

danv3

I do think they'll mention adding Frozen attraction(s) to the parks on September 2, but I think they'll be about as definitive as they've been about adding Star Wars to the parks. I would expect something along these lines: "With the success of Frozen Summer Fun at the Disney Hollywood Studios, we're pleased to announce that the Frozen Sing-Along will remain through the winter! And keep your eyes out for more exciting Frozen additions throughout Disney Parks..."

iheartdisney91

When Frozen 1st came out I loved it. I still love the film... However I'm really starting to reconsider. Yes it's a masterpiece and it's really well designed and animated HOWEVER..... People are forgetting that Disney has more than Frozen.
I was In the store this weekend and saw people going nuts over a Frozen display. Would this happen if it were The Little Mermaid? Or Hunchback? NO.
It's blown way outta proportion.
Now with the rumors still flowing about Norway I can't help but grow my hatred everyday for this film.
which I'm depressed about.

With the land Disney owns they can keep their original attraction (Maelstrom) and move a Frozen ride to some other area.
Sadly Disney won't listen to their fans when money is speaking louder.

WDWResort

Just getting back from a week long trip in Disney. Very sad riding Maelstrom for the "last time". We asked a cast member about the fate of the attraction while they were ringing us up in the store and it was met with silence and an uncomfortable darting of eyes. This could have simply been social awkwardness but that didn't bode well.
The second time it came up in conversation with a lovely CM she said that she honestly didn't know. She even said that her managers didn't even know and the last she heard was it was going down for a refurb. Which could mean any number of things. And the third and last thing I heard from a good friend of mine with very good sources was that there was talk of expanding the show scenes and reversing the track for Maelstrom when it turns into Frozen. So...up, up, go back up the falls!

On my last trip I casually asked a CM at Maelstrom and they told me it was indeed closing for a more than likely Frozen overlay. I'm going back next month and will be riding my final ride and bidding adieu. Again, the closing it still just a rumor, right?

aladdin2007

On my last trip I casually asked a CM at Maelstrom and they told me it was indeed closing for a more than likely Frozen overlay. I'm going back next month and will be riding my final ride and bidding adieu. Again, the closing it still just a rumor, right?

I wish, but fastpass has been removed on the calendar for maelstrom after september 28th-ish I think it is? So yeah, sad. Getting my final ride in this week. :cry:

Milla4Prez66

When Frozen 1st came out I loved it. I still love the film... However I'm really starting to reconsider. Yes it's a masterpiece and it's really well designed and animated HOWEVER..... People are forgetting that Disney has more than Frozen.
I was In the store this weekend and saw people going nuts over a Frozen display. Would this happen if it were The Little Mermaid? Or Hunchback? NO.
It's blown way outta proportion.
Now with the rumors still flowing about Norway I can't help but grow my hatred everyday for this film.
which I'm depressed about.

With the land Disney owns they can keep their original attraction (Maelstrom) and move a Frozen ride to some other area.
Sadly Disney won't listen to their fans when money is speaking louder.

Thing is, Disney is listening to their fans. Unfortunately, a majority of fans are saying more and more Frozen based off their spending habits and the fact people are willing to wait 4 hours in line to meet Anna and Elsa. It sucks, but Disney is going to milk this cow dry. What is even worse is that they are going the cheap route and just doing an overlay over an existing attraction instead of building up a new exciting experience.

WDWResort

Thing is, Disney is listening to their fans. Unfortunately, a majority of fans are saying more and more Frozen based off their spending habits and the fact people are willing to wait 4 hours in line to meet Anna and Elsa. It sucks, but Disney is going to milk this cow dry. What is even worse is that they are going the cheap route and just doing an overlay over an existing attraction instead of building up a new exciting experience.

That's my beef with it. They should build an attraction in DHS or in NFL.

Haymarket2008

Riding Maelstrom many times on my last trip brought me to an unsettling conclusion: there simply is no space to house a ride or the crowds that a Frozen ride demands. There are only, maybe, 6 spaces for show scenes currently in Maelstrom. The ride as it stands now includes show scenes connected by incredibly narrow corridors. If and when a Frozen ride is announced I will be fascinated to hear how they manage this major obstacle. Just one more shred of evidence toward this terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom