"Frozen" Overlay for Maelstrom

Fox&Hound

Original Poster
So, I've never started a discussion before- so be nice =) Next, this is not a rumor just a thought so take none of this as fact, but....

My wife and I just got back from seeing "Frozen" and really loved it. We started talking about how it could and should replaced the old Norway Maelstrom ride. The movie had everything: the Norwegian setting, the trolls, magic, the culture, and endearing characters. I could see Disney keeping the ride system and just using "Frozen" as the plot of the ride. I know it would be far down on the list but do you think it could happen? Would there be a huge backlash from fans who consider Maelstrom a classic ride? Anyone else see "Frozen" and have ideas for how they could tie it in? They already invaded the Stave church at EPCOT with "Frozen" so it seems like a natural fit. I just feel like this ride is stuck in the past and could really use some new magic. Plus, blasting the ac and making it fake snow inside could be awesome (especially in July). Thoughts???? Ideas?

DRC68

My family and I went and saw it this afternoon...loved every second of the movie and after walking out asked my wife how long till they change over Maelstrom? Only thing is 1) it would cost TDO some coin. 2) I always thought the purpose of the pavilions was to give some sort of an introduction to a other cultures. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a long term Anna & Elsa M&G somewhere in Norway.

Dole Whip Happy Hour

My family also saw it today and I really liked it. I could see something in Norway changing to add them, maybe
Akershus could become their castle?
Maelstrom is one of my favorite rides across all four parks, I would be heartbroken if it was completely redone. But maybe some milder additions like they did to PotC might not be too difficult to handle...

Magenta Panther

I'm a big fan of Maelstrom and wouldn't be happy to see it changed in that way.

It really is a wonderful ride. :)

Agreed. Maelstrom is a celebration of Nordic culture and lore. It's pretty great as is. I say leave it be, but for heaven's sake maintain in properly.

As to Frozen...haven't seen it, not much interested since it's not really The Snow Queen...still, just the same, a snowy attraction in Fantasyland might be pretty awesome. I once suggested that TDO do something with Prep and Landing, since the original TV toon was so good and so well-received - I thought a North Pole attraction, with falling snow and everything, could be amazing. Unfortunately, Prep and Landing's sequels have been lackluster, and it looks like P & L are on hold for a while. So perhaps Frozen would be a good substitute. Great things could be done with the concept. If the movie continues to do well, maybe we'll get an Ice Palace to go along with the Cinderella and Beast castles...

acishere

I consider Maelstrom to be a classic so I'm naturally against them replacing it with a Frozen attraction. If they were able to shove a building backstage between Mexico and Norway and have a Frozen attraction in there I would be fine with it.

FettFan

While I would probably enjoy a Frozen attraction, I'd like to keep it away from Epcot for the most part.

Too bad Storybook Circus is already built. Would have made a nice Scandanavian section for Fantasyland.

They could still build it behind Gaston's Taven and Little Mermaid. Nice patch of woods there, all they'd have to do is re-route World Drive.

Granted,I was hoping that it would be Agrabah instead, but I'd be more than accepting of a Frozen sub-land.

aladdin2007

I consider Maelstrom to be a classic so I'm naturally against them replacing it with a Frozen attraction. If they were able to shove a building backstage between Mexico and Norway and have a Frozen attraction in there I would be fine with it.

The plan for that space is a new meetngreet like royal hall in the MK. :banghead: Except the new projects delay has it on hold probably.
I still dont understand why the Frozen characters are not in Akershus, at least they tie in unlike the other princessess. Just way too much princess take over going on anymore. Dont want it taking over Maelstrom either.

Anyone noticed if they opened another entrance yet into the store instead of the one-inch wide one door for mass crowds to file in and out of? Really Disney?

Cmdr_Crimson

Everyone agrees....
a12.gif

copcarguyp71

Not a huge fan of overlays if for no other reason than it gives TDO an easy out without having to spend tons of money on any real improvements. I liken overlays to jingling a set of shiny keys in the face of an infant to amuse them. That having been said we are looking forward to seeing the movie as it looks pretty darn good!

wdwfan4ver

I haven't seen the movie, but a Frozen overlay for Maelstrom I wouldn't support. I enjoy the ride part of Maelstrom without any changes, but the film should have been redone years ago. I wouldn't have any problems with a characters from "frozen" in Akershus though.

I would have mixed feeling if a 2nd ride in Norway being added with it being from the movie Frozen. Frozen would fit Magic Kingdom better from a ride standpoint,but I rather a "Frozen" ride instead adding meet and greet area in the area between Norway and Mexico.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom