Frozen - Let it Go, my confession

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm just going to come out and say it (I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing), I prefer the Demi Lovato version to the Idina Menzel version, I just don't think Menzel's voice suits the character or the song, the voice is too old, and it seems (to me) that the way she sings it is more about how much she can project her voice rather than show the feeling over the charaterand the song .......

Come on don't tell me you don't agree now ......
You do know that the Demi version was highly autotuned for the video, right?

She's a breathy singer. Average voice, very little expression or soul without a multi-million dollar operation behind her to package her product.

Lets compare live performances.

Demi

Idina

Ignore the revurb from the latter video (which led to some of the tempo issues).

Listen to the difference in the strength of the two voices (without processing and autotune).

Demi's vibratto (as an example) tends to go flat, instead of sharp, which really doesn't work...and she seems forced on the edge of her range (and, this isn't a challenging song).

I prefer her processed version (it's very pop song-ish)...but, I know it's processed and she's a less capable signer / musician, rather, she's another product.

Tom

Beta Return
You do know that the Demi version was highly autotuned for the video, right?

She's a breathy singer. Average voice, very little expression or soul without a multi-million dollar operation behind her to package her product.

Lets compare live performances.

Demi

Idina

Ignore the revurb from the latter video (which led to some of the tempo issues).

Listen to the difference in the strength of the two voices (without processing and autotune).

Demi's vibratto (as an example) tends to go flat, instead of sharp, which really doesn't work...and she seems forced on the edge of her range (and, this isn't a challenging song).

I prefer her processed version (it's very pop song-ish)...but, I know it's processed and she's a less capable signer / musician, rather, she's another product.

Idina is a real singer, in every sense of the word. Demi is a pop star. I forgot about the parade performance....that was really flat.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'll add that Demi's version for the live performance probably should have been kicked up a few keys. She had a lot of trouble with the lower end of her range.

But, if you want to hear an unprocessed excellent performance, I'd look at this.

Excellent voice, needs to work on her expression, but lots of potential there. Excellent breath control, awesome vibratto.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Idina is a real singer, in every sense of the word. Demi is a pop star. I forgot about the parade performance....that was really flat.
Yeah. I don't mean to take anything away from Demi...but I'm sure I could drive to my local high school and find someone with a voice as good as hers.

However, when you package it up and filter it and auto tune it, you end up with this:

The autotune is nearly slapping you in the face (or the ears) it's so obvious. But, still nice version of the song and neat video (bit predictable, but decent production values).

UberPlannerMom

I have no problem with Elsa's voice being that of a real woman. The whole point of the "do you wanna build a snowman" montage is to show that while Ana manages to stay optimistic (due to the memory change) and bubbly, Elsa grows up with the weight of the world on her shoulders (don't let anyone know you're different, being a child almost killed your sister and it's all your fault, stay away from the person who has always been your best friend, spend every day learning how to be someone you aren't.) Just how childlike and bubbly would you be growing up like that? And btw, Idina nailed it!

Mickey1984

Original Poster
My only fault with it (well apart from it being an "older voice") is that for me (and i say for me, all opinion) Menzel has used this song to show how strong she can sing a song, it doesn't match the song well for me, once again I am not saying its a bad version, as no doubt its a very good version of the song, and by god can she sing, I just don't think it fitted correctly, like in the middle (is it called Middle 8 - well whatever) where it goes quieter, she keeps her voice going stronger, this really needs to quieten down to suit the level of the song.

Great song / great film all in all though lol.

PS. Lovato being autotuned, see 99% of "pop" artists out there, most for sure can not sing (some yeh ok they can), not saying I like her or the way she particularly sings, its just the version and the sound of her voice (autotuned or not - I hear the autotuned version) suits the age of the character.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
AutoTune is a very useful product and fun to play with...(you can get this at a reasonable price and probably find a freeware version if you look hard enough) It can even make me sound like I think I sound in the shower.

Overuse of it is obnoxious and irritating.

Ariel484

I read an article saying that the songwriters wrote the song with Idina's voice in mind, knowing they had such a "powerful instrument" at their disposal. It's a powerful moment in the movie so I thought it fit. Idina's version > Demi's version for me.

Kristen Bell was a pleasant surprise - didn't know she could sing! I thought she held her own alongside the Broadway stars. I wish they'd given Jonathan Groff a full song though. :)

tinkerblonde11

I really like Let It Go and Idina's voice singing it, I only had one issue when watching the movie. To me, the voice didn't sound like it was coming from the character, but rather just a track being played with the animation. I'm not sure if I just had a hard time connecting the face and voice or if it was supposed to be like that since she was singing on top of a mountain. Probably just me o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom